Game Day: Suns (46-18) @ Cavs (21-43), Tues 5/4/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
BKinSJC

Re: Game Day: Suns (46-18) @ Cavs (21-43), Tues 5/4/21

Post by BKinSJC »

I hadn't seen it noted anyplace, but this 47th win is the most in a season in Monty Williams' career as a head coach. He took New Orleans (then the Hornets) to 46-36 in 2010-11, in Chris Paul's last year before being traded to the Clippers, along with David West, our old buddy Trevor Ariza, and really nobody else of note.

I think it's hard to overstate the degree to which Williams, along with James Jones, has helped to re-establish some dignity and stability within the Suns organization. Sarver matters far less with those two being the public face of the front office now, and their obvious competence and ability to connect with the players and create a winning environment have been huge in this year's turnaround.

It remains to be seen if Williams can be a great playoff coach -- he's 2-8 in two trips with the New Orleans franchise back in the day -- but he deserves the accolades that are going to come his way for what he's done in the regular season this year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:54 am
Danimal wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:18 am
Sorry to be a downer. That final possession in regulation was one of the ugliest I can remember. Booker got tripled teamed, dribbled into the corner??, ran into a teammate, didn’t even look for an open teammate. Continues to happen and it scares me in the playoffs we seem that unprepared for crunch time. Please just let Paul handle the ball and try and run booker off a screen. I’m sure we will say the right things in interviews and continue to do jack About it. Maybe I should thank them for the fun over time
I don't think anybody disagrees with you. That was about the worst we've seen yet. We need to run a play. See Booker winning shot over Dallas. See bubble for winning shot over Clippers. Maybe it's what Shel says and they don't want to give away anything but that seems weird to me.

Nobody backs Booky into a corner.
I think part of it was we needed to run off 24 seconds...but no reason you can’t just let Paul run that down and go into the set play with 5-6 seconds. But you need to make sure you leave no time for Cleveland. Easiest way to do that is iso. We tried to get the switch, but Cleveland did a good job preventing it. Should just dump to Cam in that situation...don’t love him having to make a play, but I’ll take him in a 4 on 3 over Book being double teamed.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Obviously a fun OT to watch. It was great to see Mikal, Cam, and DA respond to the moment. I hope those guys take tonight to heart. They have another gear, and the team is better when they are not passive.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Phenomenal OT from Bridges. Besides the times when he gets hot and gets plenty of looks from 3, when Bridges is playing at all-around high level, I often think he can play like AK47 at his peak, though I don't think Bridges could match his rebounding.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:49 pm
Phenomenal OT from Bridges. Besides the times when he gets hot and gets plenty of looks from 3, when Bridges is playing at all-around high level, I often think he can play like AK47 at his peak, though I don't think Bridges could match his rebounding.
Ok sounding good INF 🙂👍
Know you had reservations about Mikal being a consistent double digits scorer. How you feel he's going to fare with the incoming opposing strategy of running him off the 3 or putting the smallest/probably weakest perimeter defender on him
Everyone knows where I stand by now lol

Decent call on AK47 potential and the rebounding is a fair take, what I would love is to develop Kirilenko passing which was awesome for a Forward.
Mikal shows flashes as his Bball IQ is good and I see we've ran a PnR with him an DA last couple games. Anyways it's a Mikal take so I beginning to type too much :lol:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)