Game Day: Knicks (37-29) @ Suns (47-19), Fri 5/7/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
rhylek

Re: Game Day: Knicks (37-29) @ Suns (47-19), Fri 5/7/21

Post by rhylek »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:18 am
JustWinBaby wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:03 pm
Post game they said Sario was back on the court working on his conditioning. No has said but Sario was out quite a while with Covid. Maybe he is feeling some after effects which I think are breathing related. Just Sayin'
A couple of posters have offered up this explanation, but Dario came back from COVID at the beginning of February, and went on to have a very good month of February and a very good March. So I find it a little hard to believe that, after two months of solid basketball, COVID just started taking its toll on him.

People tend to forget with Dario and Jevon, that for the large majority of last season, they were either mediocre or just not good. I think Dario is going through a bad stretch because he just can't maintain a high level of play, he isn't very durable, and he never is in great shape.
Friends who had COVID told me they suffer something I endure for years (my case is a genetic problem, not COVID related) : the tank is not refuelling as fast as before. I mean, rest is not as effective, and then the effort-recovery balance is negative.
So maybe Saric's was full after his time home. And then, game after game, he was emptying it, not refuelling enough, and it's empty again now.
So yeah, he might need some games off.

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

ShelC wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:55 am

Watch Book on the backscreen take TWO knicks out of the play. They keyed in on him defensively, but he found creative ways to contribute all night.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Derrick Rose is 9-10 for 19/3/7 in the first half against the Clippers. Makes me feel slightly more comfortable with how the torched the Suns for a quarter and a half.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Have I mentioned lately how much I love the Knicks? :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That definitely helps us get closer to locking into one of the top two seeds.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:12 pm
If we win our next two games we would clinch top 2. I wonder if Monty would then rest players the final 3 games or still try to get the 1 seed?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think we should have a pretty good idea come Wednesday if we can catch Utah. They have 4 left, but Monday and Wednesday are the only ones with a decent chance they lose(Golden State and Portland). They close with OKC and Sacramento. My guess is that we’ll keep playing to win as long as we’re within 1 game of the 1 seed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:48 pm
I think we should have a pretty good idea come Wednesday if we can catch Utah. They have 4 left, but Monday and Wednesday are the only ones with a decent chance they lose(Golden State and Portland). They close with OKC and Sacramento. My guess is that we’ll keep playing to win as long as we’re within 1 game of the 1 seed.
Makes sense since we have the tie breaker.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:33 pm
Superbone wrote:
If we win our next two games we would clinch top 2. I wonder if Monty would then rest players the final 3 games or still try to get the 1 seed?
Go for it. Rest during the play-ins.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:39 pm
Ayton -10/14 FG, 6/6 FT, 15 rebounds, 26 points in 29 only minutes
He was awesome tonight, made up for a total no show by Book. Granted they trapped Book a lot and played him very tight, sending a lot of help. Ayton will need to play like this to keep teams from doing that in the playoffs.
The stat line was awesome, but was he "awesome"? I'm not trying to criticize him, but most of his points came from the Knicks not accounting for him. Whoever was penetrating from the perimeter was getting by his man, the Knicks defense would then collapse on the penetrator, and no one stuck to Ayton. The penetrators did a great job of continuing to find him, but Ayton just moved to an open spot caught the ball and laid it up/dunked it. Pretty simple/basic stuff. KJ to Corie Blount stuff, circa 2000. Then there was the usually gravity of Booker and CP3 drawing attention from the pick and rolll, and Ayton effectively diving. So credit to him for that.

Credit to Ayton for moving and being alert, instead of just standing and staring, but the only time he actually had to make something happen was in the 3rd where he was a few steps inside the the 3 point line, put the ball on the floor, drove past his man, and got the bucket. That was nice.
If Ayton doesn’t play the way he did the Suns lose that game. It’s that simple. His offense was good. His rebounding was good. Multiple times I saw Knicks driving to the hoop and kick out because Ayton was there on defense. Stop trying criticize and tear apart after a good game from him. Many of Amare’s buckets came from Nash assists, does that make him bad too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:14 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:33 pm
Superbone wrote:
Go for it. Rest during the play-ins.
Ya, one thing that’s different this year, our last game is the 16th, then we break until the 22nd for the play-in. That’s a 6 day rest.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:14 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:39 pm
Ayton -10/14 FG, 6/6 FT, 15 rebounds, 26 points in 29 only minutes
He was awesome tonight, made up for a total no show by Book. Granted they trapped Book a lot and played him very tight, sending a lot of help. Ayton will need to play like this to keep teams from doing that in the playoffs.
The stat line was awesome, but was he "awesome"? I'm not trying to criticize him, but most of his points came from the Knicks not accounting for him. Whoever was penetrating from the perimeter was getting by his man, the Knicks defense would then collapse on the penetrator, and no one stuck to Ayton. The penetrators did a great job of continuing to find him, but Ayton just moved to an open spot caught the ball and laid it up/dunked it. Pretty simple/basic stuff. KJ to Corie Blount stuff, circa 2000. Then there was the usually gravity of Booker and CP3 drawing attention from the pick and rolll, and Ayton effectively diving. So credit to him for that.

Credit to Ayton for moving and being alert, instead of just standing and staring, but the only time he actually had to make something happen was in the 3rd where he was a few steps inside the the 3 point line, put the ball on the floor, drove past his man, and got the bucket. That was nice.
If Ayton doesn’t play the way he did the Suns lose that game. It’s that simple. His offense was good. His rebounding was good. Multiple times I saw Knicks driving to the hoop and kick out because Ayton was there on defense. Stop trying criticize and tear apart after a good game from him. Many of Amare’s buckets came from Nash assists, does that make him bad too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you're being a little sensitive here. There isn't a criticism anywhere in my post. I didn't say he didn't help us win, or that he did anything bad.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.