The Official 2021 Phoenix Suns Playoff Run Realists' Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: The Official 2021 Phoenix Suns Playoff Run Optimists' Thread

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:35 pm
I think Carter and Kaminsky would both play in the playoffs, though not huge minutes.
I think it’s possible we give Kaminsky some of Saric minutes if he’s not producing...I don’t really see Carter getting minutes though. We’ve been experimenting with more Payne/Paul and more Payne/Paul/Booker minutes. I think that’s for a reason. We need Payne to play more and he’s not taking Paul and Bookers minutes...he’s taking Carter’s.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:50 pm
If we get the motivated Suns they can beat anybody.

On the other hand......
.......if that other team has too much size ? Their playoff run may end quickly.

BTW, big fat diss to the Kings for not having their best players out there to win the season finale against Utah. They totally milked it.
Yeah, I'm p*ssed cause the Suns aren't the #1 seed in the West.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

Split T

Post by Split T »

Got my tickets, I’ll be at game 2 next Monday!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Right now, I'm like...why couldn't they have not blown ONE game and avoided the Lakers in the first round?

Who knows...maybe GSW will win one.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:58 pm
Right now, I'm like...why couldn't they have not blown ONE game and avoided the Lakers in the first round?

That would be SWEET! And not just because I don’t want to play the Lakers in the first round. It would be mostly because it’s the Lakers going out like a whimper after one play in game. How embarrassing. Awesome! Wait, if they lost they would still have a chance if they win the next game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:04 pm
virtual9mm wrote:

That would be SWEET! And not just because I don’t want to play the Lakers in the first round. It would be mostly because it’s the Lakers going out like a whimper after one play in game. How embarrassing. Awesome! Wait, if they lost they would still have a chance if they win the next game.
yes

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:46 pm
Nodack wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

yes
They would then play the winner of the 9 & 10 seeds for a chance at the 8th seed and a first round matchup with the Jazz.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:05 am
Indy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:46 pm
Nodack wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

yes
They would then play the winner of the 9 & 10 seeds for a chance at the 8th seed and a first round matchup with the Jazz.
That would be a much-preferred bracket for the Suns:

Lakers vs. Jazz, then Clippers vs. Jazz/Lakers, and then there's only one of those three teams left to play the Suns in the Conference Finals. I fully believe we would beat Golden State and Denver/Portland.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya that would be the dream

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

So I guess it's time to take out the Lakers...?

Bring it on.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What do you think our strategy will be? I really hope we don’t try and change up the starting lineup. Stick with CP3/Book/Bridges/Crowder/Ayton

Crowder will be on LeBron...I think you have to put Ayton on AD...problem is that leaves Bridges on Drummond. Can Bridges keep Drummond off the glass?

If we could somehow play a Drummond off the court...Book and CP3 would need to shred him in the pick and roll, then we match up much better.

The other option is to leave Ayton on Drummond and put Crowder or Bridges on AD...both are too small and we’d probably have to double and hope the LA shooters don’t hit shots.

I think ultimately it’ll come down to possessions. We’ll be more efficient. Lakers will win the rebound and ft battle. We need to limit the damage there and not turn the ball over and we have a shot.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

And I guess, weirdly as the #2 seed, we'll have less pressure on us; I'm strangely at peace with everyone (understandably) picking the Lakers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Whatever happens, happens. I'm oddly fine and calm with drawing the Lakers. Bring it!
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope Lebron is as gimpy in the series against us as he looked last night. If that Lebron is the one who shows up, I think we have a good chance.

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:06 pm
Crowder will be on LeBron...I think you have to put Ayton on AD...problem is that leaves Bridges on Drummond.
I was thinking pretty much the same, but I’d also like to see us try Jae on AD, DA on a still gimpy Lebron, and Mikal on Schroeder.

Crowder has given AD fits in the past despite the size difference, and Ayton at times has done surprisingly well against Lebron in single coverage on the perimeter.

You don’t want to keep Ayton away from the rim too long, but in certain scenarios he can slide out to the outside. And if DA is in top form, don’t be surprised if he mostly removes Lebron as a scoring option for several plays.

As far as a Drummond, LA looked absolutely dreadful with him on the floor last night. Not sure he gets much burn this series.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Suns_Dave wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:57 am
Split T wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:06 pm
Crowder will be on LeBron...I think you have to put Ayton on AD...problem is that leaves Bridges on Drummond.
I was thinking pretty much the same, but I’d also like to see us try Jae on AD, DA on a still gimpy Lebron, and Mikal on Schroeder.

Crowder has given AD fits in the past despite the size difference, and Ayton at times has done surprisingly well against Lebron in single coverage on the perimeter.

You don’t want to keep Ayton away from the rim too long, but in certain scenarios he can slide out to the outside. And if DA is in top form, don’t be surprised if he mostly removes Lebron as a scoring option for several plays.

As far as a Drummond, LA looked absolutely dreadful with him on the floor last night. Not sure he gets much burn this series.

The strategy becomes clear if they sit Drummond...which they might. They could win with Drummond, but they’d kinda be putting the game in his hands and I’m not sure they want to do that. He bogs down their offense and he’s not a positive defensively for them.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My biggest fear is foul trouble for Ayton.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I would put Bridges on James, Ayton on Davis, and Crowder on Drummond. And if Ayton picks up an early foul, switch him onto Drummond with Crowder on Davis.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:27 pm
All right, marketing department, you got me. Chills. Would love for the Suns to take my money.