The Official 2021 Phoenix Suns Playoff Run Realists' Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Charlie Smithy!

The Official 2021 Phoenix Suns Playoff Run Realists' Thread

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Hi, my name's Charlie...and I'm an optimist for the upcoming postseason for our Phoenix Suns.

And I thought that I'd form a little support group/thread for those of us that just can't let go of that hope--despite our team's best efforts to shake our collective faith at times.

Stay strong, brothers. One day at a time.

Mori Chu

Re: The Official 2021 Phoenix Suns Playoff Run Optimists' Thread

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like we'll have just about the toughest possible playoff matchups:

* first round: Lakers, oof.
* second round: Clippers, double oof.
* WCF: Jazz, probably.

That's basically the worst-case scenario. The only way it could have been worse would be if we had to play the full-strength Nuggets, but they'll run into the Jazz in the 2nd round and are missing Murray. I think we would beat the Jazz in a series, but both LA teams are tough for us, and having to face them back-to-back at the start of the playoffs is going to be really brutal.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Matching matters, but I double check and we can’t get Orlando or Cleveland, in the first round, it’s going to be one of the good teams. Hopefully this last games make sobering lessons for the team, and we get to see our full potential on display again. In that case, WE ARE THE DANGER!!!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have been thinking about the playoffs a lot and in my mind I have decided that Ayton has been holding back on purpose and they will unleash the Kraken in the playoffs in a cleverly orchestrated plan. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

What does a Suns victory over the Lakers look like over a 7 game period?
Say we when 4 games. What must happen to offset their size advantage and strategy to pummel Book and CP3 all game and keep Ayton off the glass?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ayton has to play big and not get in foul trouble. Before the game throw 10,000 passes at him until he starts catching them. Throw high to him, not low. They will try to shut down Booker with a double team every time he even thinks about touching the ball like it seems every team has been doing to end the season. I think that was a great because it gave the Suns a look at what to expect in the playoffs. Book has to learn like all Super Stars how to pass effectively out of a double team. Bridges, Cam J, Chowder and Craig need to hit their shots and help rebound. Cam Payne needs to keep doing what he does. Carter too. Saric is a total wildcard at this point. Kaminski has played as well as we could have ever expected him to play. I suspect Galloway will be a sort of secret weapon we roll out at some point. Jalen Smith needs to make sure the Gatorade blend is just right and stocked up for the players.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:47 am
It looks like we'll have just about the toughest possible playoff matchups:

* first round: Lakers, oof.
* second round: Clippers, double oof.
* WCF: Jazz, probably.

That's basically the worst-case scenario. The only way it could have been worse would be if we had to play the full-strength Nuggets, but they'll run into the Jazz in the 2nd round and are missing Murray. I think we would beat the Jazz in a series, but both LA teams are tough for us, and having to face them back-to-back at the start of the playoffs is going to be really brutal.
Jesus Christ Mori. This is the OPTIMIST'S thread.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Nodack wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:13 am
Jalen Smith needs to make sure the Gatorade blend is just right and stocked up for the players.
:lol:

I think even if Ayton plays well he will still be outplayed on offense. He just needs to defend the shit out of the paint.
I think it will come down to not relenting on defense and knocking down shots.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think of myself as an optimistic realist. I believe in this team and I will live and die with them. However, I do think that realistically, a healthy Lakers is absolutely the worst first round matchup we could have. One question is how healthy are they? Another is how cohesive will they be after limited time playing together? Some pundits are saying if you do have to face the Lakers, it’s better to play them earlier than later while they’re still putting it all together.

So, yes, it has been a fantastic season! And I’m hoping for a deep playoff run. But I also know we’re in for all we can handle in a first round Lakers’ matchup. Bigs is the one area we’re deficient in when compared to the Lakers. So, we’ll need our starting big to come up, well, BIG!

Go Suns!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If it is the Lakers then I hope they come out with a mentality of being down 10 with 3 minutes left in the fourth.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If we get the motivated Suns they can beat anybody.

On the other hand......
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Everyone is motivated for the playoffs. The intensity meter jumps a few notches for everyone.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Hoping for the best. Fortune/Fate owes the Suns ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So does Karma.

Split T

Post by Split T »

How many guys do you think we play in the playoffs? Do we go 9 deep? Just 8?

If Cam Johnson isn’t ready to go, I’d guess we go 8 deep. The starters plus Payne/Craig/Saric. Possibly 9 deep if Cam is ready

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:59 pm

If Cam Johnson isn’t ready to go, I’d guess we go 8 deep. The starters plus Payne/Craig/Saric. Possibly 9 deep if Cam is ready
Yeah, that’s a good question. It will be interesting to see. If Cam J is ready, I can’t imagine not playing him as he was a key rotation player for most of the year. Also can’t imagine Craig or Saric not getting in there. Payne is a given.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:05 pm
Split T wrote:

Yeah, that’s a good question. It will be interesting to see. If Cam J is ready, I can’t imagine not playing him as he was a key rotation player for most of the year. Also can’t imagine Craig or Saric not getting in there. Payne is a given.
Ya those seem to be the 9. Can’t imagine there should be any reason(excluding health or foul trouble) to play beyond that. Paul, Booker, Payne is enough to handle the guard minutes, so I don’t see Carter part of the rotation. No reason either for Frank and Saric. I could also see both sitting in certain matchups and us just rolling with Craig as the backup 5.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:20 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:05 pm
Split T wrote:

Ya those seem to be the 9. Can’t imagine there should be any reason(excluding health or foul trouble) to play beyond that. Paul, Booker, Payne is enough to handle the guard minutes, so I don’t see Carter part of the rotation. No reason either for Frank and Saric. I could also see both sitting in certain matchups and us just rolling with Craig as the backup 5.
Yep. Right on. Maybe for special situations they might throw Carter out there for disruption purposes.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Carter and Kaminsky would both play in the playoffs, though not huge minutes.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If it's the Lakers I think we'll need both Saric and Kaminsky.

Of those top 10 players, 6 have playoff experience and 4 do not.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.