Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Sun 5/23/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Sun 5/23/21

Post by Superbone »

Time: 12:30 pm AZ (12:30 pm PT/3:30 pm ET)
Place: Phoenix Suns Arena, Phoenix, AZ
TV: ABC

The Phoenix Suns are back in the playoffs for the first time in 11 years ending the second longest drought in the NBA! After not making the playoffs the previous year, they have procured the #2 seed in the West and the 2nd best record in the entire NBA. What do they get for the fruits of their labor? A first round match up with the defending NBA champion LA Lakers. BEAT LA!

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
"Be Legendary."

Suns_Dave

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Sun 5/23/21

Post by Suns_Dave »

Suns need to draw first blood, throw the knockout punch early. Don't necessarily want this series going 7.

BEAT LA!!

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:55 pm

The Phoenix Suns are back in the playoffs for the first time in 11 years ending the second longest drought in the NBA! After not making the playoffs the previous year, they have procured the #2 seed in the West and the 2nd best record in the entire NBA. What do they get for the fruits of their labor? A first round match up with the defending NBA champion LA Lakers. BEAT LA!

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
Cap, I need you to do the thing. It would not be a Suns playoff series without it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I hope the refs don’t go for the Lakers flops. Showtime doesn’t mean bad acting.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

I hope we sweep them in 4!
Already the Laker suck fest is in full swing over here and it’s winding me right up!
It will be a hard match up especially in the forward positions but I feel our depth and defence can really cause them problems.
The refs better give us the respect we deserve coming in to this as 2nd seed in the whole league.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:55 pm

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
Cap, I need you to do the thing. It would not be a Suns playoff series without it.
Beat Louisiana?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I sure hope he is too

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

phatmike

Post by phatmike »

Please smash these clowns. If DA plays with a pulse and we avoid cold stretches from three, I like our chances. Looking forward to how Book responds - he's been waiting a long time for this. We were going to have to beat these guys eventually. Do it now while they find a replacement for LeBron's eye - word on the street is that he was still looking for it but drilling all of his shots even with that adversity *rolleyes*

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:40 am
I sure hope he is too

This is why I’m not expecting bubble-type numbers from Book this series. They will force him to give up the ball and make the other guys beat them.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

To be the Boss you have to beat the Boss!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I have the phrase "shock the world" in my head but now I can't remember who said it or when as a rallying cry for the Suns haha. Was it Raja Bell or Mike D'Antoni or somebody circa 2006?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Hmm I hadn't seen that. I'm thinking of years ago.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's a cliché at this point, but Game 1 really is the make-or-break game for the Suns in this series. The Lakers already have the mental advantage, so the Suns must take advantage of the crowd and the rest they've earned over the Lakers in this first game. I fear that losing Game 1 would be devastating to this young team regardless of the lines they'd feed to the media afterward.

How Monty coaches this game will be the most interesting part of it to me. I know what to expect from the players, but I need to see Monty get the team to implement adjustments that effectively counter the Lakers strategy. I want to see a scheme that attacks the Lakers size advantage to neutralize it, make the Lakers adjust to us.

If it were up to me, I'd start the game with Ayton on Drummond. It's critical to take away the Lakers rebounding advantage, and even the little offensive putbacks in the first quarter count. Limiting those early will help negate the Lakers size advantage and motivate Vogel to play a smaller lineup because Drummond isn't worth playing if he's not getting the easy points inside. I'd also put Mikal on AD and have a quick double team ready if he catches a post pass.

The Suns need to take a page from the Lakers book and create havoc on defense. Forcing turnovers and winning the possession game will be how the Suns come out on top in the final score.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I’ve been thinking about it and Ayton needs to start on Drummond. Keep him off the glass, but also gotta keep Ayton out of foul trouble. The Lakers will go small at some point and will probably close with AD at C. That’s when you shift Ayton to AD. Guess it means we’ll see Bridges on LeBron. Hope he’s up for it.

Also a Jae Crowder 6/6 first half from 3 would be nice.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

AD schools Ayton all the time so I would not put them together. Crowder and AD know each other and have played against each other most, So I would assume that Crowder will be on AD. As for Lebron Bridges should guard him again lets just hope LBJ doesn't try to hurt him like he did in preseason.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

phatmike wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:45 am
Please smash these clowns. If DA plays with a pulse and we avoid cold stretches from three, I like our chances. Looking forward to how Book responds - he's been waiting a long time for this. We were going to have to beat these guys eventually. Do it now while they find a replacement for LeBron's eye - word on the street is that he was still looking for it but drilling all of his shots even with that adversity *rolleyes*
DA versus AD!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Does anybody know the extent of DA’s knee injury? Was it just a precaution to hold him out? Sore knee, right? What made it sore?
"Be Legendary."

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:14 pm
phatmike wrote:
DA versus AD!
No it's a bad matchup
https://www.landofbasketball.com/games_ ... _davis.htm
Anthony Davis has averaged 25.2 points, 11.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 5 games versus Deandre Ayton in his career.
Anthony Davis has averaged 23.8 points, 10.6 rebounds and 2.8 blocks in 17 games versus Jae Crowder in his career.
Crowder has the best stats out of everyone on AD as bad as they are it's the best and every little counts.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BAMF wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:14 pm
phatmike wrote:
DA versus AD!
No it's a bad matchup
https://www.landofbasketball.com/games_ ... _davis.htm
Anthony Davis has averaged 25.2 points, 11.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 5 games versus Deandre Ayton in his career.
Anthony Davis has averaged 23.8 points, 10.6 rebounds and 2.8 blocks in 17 games versus Jae Crowder in his career.
Crowder has the best stats out of everyone on AD as bad as they are it's the best and every little counts.
Just not as catchy.
"Be Legendary."