Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Sun 5/23/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Sun 5/23/21

Post by Wally_West »

A crack??? :shock:

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:17 pm

A crack??? :shock:
I hear a crack everytime I move my neck, so it could be not that bad...

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cap wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:13 pm
538 has updated our chances in the series: from 37% before the game to 51% now.
We're taking this series. LeBron isn't anywhere close to 100%

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Suns win! - Lakers lose!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:25 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:13 pm
538 has updated our chances in the series: from 37% before the game to 51% now.
We're taking this series. LeBron isn't anywhere close to 100%
And with Paul's shoulder, we're basically back to Rubio at PG. This game wouldn't have been as close if Paul could shoot. LeBron even said, we only scored 99 points so if Paul becomes a zero on offense, other guys are going to have to show up.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hopefully Cam Payne calms down and can give us something Tuesday

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I hate it when they slip in ads on split screen while the game is on. So annoying.

I wonder if Lebron hurt his shoulder. I am not buying it. Paul definitely grabbed his arm a little and it was a foul. Lebrons wild flail and subsequent horrendous and tragic fall to the court looked like total BS to me.

I am loving the Cam Payne Carruso battle. Cam with the ball and Carruso had a major collision ending in a turnover for Cam and a total non call by the refs on the earlier play. After Lebron’s tragic fall Cam went over and laid some wood on Carruso. That was a flagrant. Carruso got pissed and tried to grab the ball from Payne so Payne threw the ball at him. Another flagrant. Payne was tossed but, the Suns won. Looking forward to this battle next game.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Back on page one of this thread I talked about how the Suns needed to capitalize on their advantages in this first game, namely the home crowd and extra rest. The crowd was a huge boost and the Lakers looked sluggish or out of sorts for stretches, especially without LeBron on the court.

The other thing I was anxious to see was Monty's game plan. It was immaculate. He was one step ahead of Vogel the whole game. I especially loved the zone defense sets ATO's. That only came after the first Lakers ATO when KCP easily converted a lob dunk to AD, a fantastic adjustment.

I can't doubt LeBron. I've seen him do miraculous stuff too many times to count him out, but he's not 100% healthy. I really noticed it on one possession in the fourth quarter. He had it on the wing in a semi-fastbreak situation, Mikal stepped back defensively and I cringed. Healthy LeBron puts it into the next gear, gets a shoulder into the defender and goes for the and-1. I've seen him cook guys for a 15+ years when they make that mistake, but he just didn't have the juice this time and he knew it.

This was a great win, but its just one game. The Lakers aren't scared or worried even if they might need to be. I spent most of the game complaining about the officiating, so I won't do it again here with exception to saying that the Suns won't have a single game officiated in their favor in this series. The best they can hope for is the officials to call it even. I'm not holding my breath.

I think Vogel needs to to stop double teaming Booker so predictably. It took a little while, but the Suns had it figured out by the fourth quarter, resulting in some pretty easy looks for Mikal and Crowder. The Lakers can't rely on that scheme for an entire game. Especially if Ayton is locked in and not in foul trouble. I think they need to play more zone defense, and give all of Drummonds minutes to Gasol or AD at Center.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Just curious, Ayton haters, where you all at now? Hmm? I seem to recall a lot of people calling my guy a "pussy" and saying he sucks and isn't worth a contract.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:05 pm
Just curious, Ayton haters, where you all at now? Hmm? I seem to recall a lot of people calling my guy a "pussy" and saying he sucks and isn't worth a contract.
Come on now. If you've watched the games you've seen him loaf around too much. That Ayton does suck.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
I also remember people being afraid he would disappear in the playoffs, but I was right that he usually steps up in big moments (e.g., all the games he has won for us in crunch time, especially defensively).
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Why was Vogel allowed to not wear a mask all game? Is it because he is fully vaccinated? Is Monty not? Does anybody know how many suns players are and are not vaccinated?? A potential covid outbreak on the team would be so devastating.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I might be a good luck charm, in the way that since I'm on EST, I missed the game because I was out day drinking. Maybe I should not tune in moving forward? And I wouldn't worry too much about CP3 hearing a "crack" in his shoulder. I had almost the exact same thing happen to me in a flag football game a few years ago where I collided with someone and heard a crack. I was sore as hell for a few days and couldn't lift my arm for 2-3 days, but I literally did nothing to treat it and was fine, so hopefully with the world class care he gets, he's in a much better spot for game 2. I'm thinking it was a stinger/pinched nerve (or I hope so at least). I'm no medical professional (paging specialsauce!), but I would imagine there's no way to play basketball with a broken or dislocated shoulder.

Oh and F LA!

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:09 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Come on now. If you've watched the games you've seen him loaf around too much. That Ayton does suck.
Yep - I was one of the pussy callers and I stand by it. He had a great game today but he can be even better. I still want him to finish and get fouled more. We are very good at the line but seldom get there.

My biggest key to the game was Cam Johnson. We really need this guy. He is another body we can put on Lebron. Now if Cam Payne can turn it around and CP3 can magically get healthy we have something.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

YES! BEAT LA! BEAT LA! What a crowd! Great way to start the series other than the Paul injury. I was actually in AZ and headed home back to CA during the game and wasn't able to start watching until I got home after the game was long over. Just finished. Now I'll have to go back and read and see if anybody knows how serious Paul's injury is.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:18 am
538 gives us a 36% chance of making it to the second round.
How about now?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:49 am

Good vibes. Suns win.
Oh, boy. I guess we're stuck with this pregame ritual now. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:15 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:54 am
Mikal’s gonna have a good series. He’s gonna make some money this playoffs.
Can I get an Amen 🙌🙌
His play along with Cam Payne really going to be crucial. Funny how I took time to peep the national media and they probably not aware how key they are to our success. I get fans watch highlights and check box scores but the knowledge of some of these so called analysts is sad

So yea really want Mikal n Cam to wake some ppl up 8-)
Turned out Ayton had the even bigger game. Outplayed AD today and it wasn't even close.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:21 pm
Well let me get this all out now
I respect LeBron's game because I am a basketball fan so can't dispute his impact on the game. I however usually cringe at 90% of his soundbytes and quotes which always trying to build some narrative which as usual the media lap it all up.

I'm bracing myself for this guy that is such a physical specimen, flexing when he does get an And1 but when someone plays him physical flailing and snapping his head back like he got the hardest hit ever smh :roll: .That's been my issue last couple seasons, he can't shake Mikal so will go through him and refs will still give him the call as per usual so it will be cool to throw physical guys like Jae and Craig at him but again we are at the mercy of the refs smh.....

Another pet peeve gonna be hearing too much Lakers fans, really hope of the 10,000 in the arena that their number is fairly non existent but they always tend to get to the game smh.....

BRING YOUR "A" GAME GUYS!!
LET'S GO!!
Don't forget that he also lays on the ground for long periods of time. He didn't it again today. Also, I saw too many LeBron jerseys on TV but the Suns fans must have drowned out the Lakers fans because I never heard them and heard a boisterous Suns crowd the entire game including loud "BEAT LA!" chants before the game had even started!
"Be Legendary."