Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by ShelC »

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I think Thybulle making it over Bridges is a joke. Thybulle plays like 15-20 minutes and rarely has to guard the other teams best player. Bridges had to do all that and play on the other side of the court as well.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

MightyMoog wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:07 pm
I think Thybulle making it over Bridges is a joke. Thybulle plays like 15-20 minutes and rarely has to guard the other teams best player. Bridges had to do all that and play on the other side of the court as well.
Thybulle guarded Book and did about as well as I've seen against him. I think he may have blocked Book 3 times in their latest game. He may be overrated so far though, as I haven't watched all his games and how he is on everyone that he plays.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo says he is not reporting, but has heard, that Paul is asymptomatic. If someone is vaccinated and asymptomatic they are likely unable to spread the virus. It seems unfair that he has to sit out, if that's the case.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Only around 2,000 COVID-19 cases have been documented among the approximately 3 million people fully vaccinated in the state, the Arizona Department of Health Services told KTAR News 92.3 FM in an email Monday.

Dr. Will Humble, executive director for the Arizona Public Health Association and former ADHS director, told KTAR News on Tuesday the vaccines are performing better than advertised.

“That’s like 99-point-something percent effective,” he said. “The real-world experience has even been better than that 95% number that we’ve heard about so much from the clinical trials.”

https://ktar.com/story/4502018/breakthr ... mely-rare/
How can an "expert" like Dr. Humble be so ignorant about math and science? The 95% effectiveness is based on the number of infections seen in the vaccinated group vs. the control group. Just because less than 1% have been infected doesn't mean that 99-point-something are protected. It just means they haven't been exposed to the virus enough to become infected yet!

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:20 pm
Only around 2,000 COVID-19 cases have been documented among the approximately 3 million people fully vaccinated in the state, the Arizona Department of Health Services told KTAR News 92.3 FM in an email Monday.

Dr. Will Humble, executive director for the Arizona Public Health Association and former ADHS director, told KTAR News on Tuesday the vaccines are performing better than advertised.

“That’s like 99-point-something percent effective,” he said. “The real-world experience has even been better than that 95% number that we’ve heard about so much from the clinical trials.”

https://ktar.com/story/4502018/breakthr ... mely-rare/
How can an "expert" like Dr. Humble be so ignorant about math and science? The 95% effectiveness is based on the number of infections seen in the vaccinated group vs. the control group. Just because less than 1% have been infected doesn't mean that 99-point-something are protected. It just means they haven't been exposed to the virus enough to become infected yet!
I saw a doctor say that vaccines magnetize you. So ymmv with doctors.

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:36 am
The scary thing is, if he really does have COVID, he might not be 100% immediately when he comes back. Some guys have lung issues or heart issues after COVID. Who knows what level of play he'll be able to give us? Ugh.
Thankfully he had the Pfizer vaccine back in February along with most of the suns roster, so hopefully he gets the mild salsa version of COVID.

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

https://www.theonion.com/nation-begrudg ... 1847111338

A bit of levity from The Onion on a rough day.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Suns_Dave wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:43 pm

LOL
At press time, the nation vowed to never learn the names of any player on the Utah Jazz.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

If he's asymptomatic, and vaccinated that means:

1. He's likely to be fine when he gets back (no long COVID)

2. Probably isn't transmissable

3. Will likely clear his system quickly (he's probably going to be able to pass two tests in a 24 hour period relatively soon)

Hopefully the league takes this into consideration when he does get his two negative tests in a row.

Worst fear is that they make him wait 10 days after 2 negative tests in a row: that makes no medical sense anymore given that protocol was written BEFORE a vaccine was available.

Of course, it would be the Suns luck to lose another playoff series based on the leagues slavish devotion to the letter of the rules.

(Then again, as head of the NBAPA, Paul has some unique leverage with the league)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:45 pm
Suns_Dave wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:43 pm

LOL
At press time, the nation vowed to never learn the names of any player on the Utah Jazz.
Yep, loved that last sentence. Gave me a chuckle.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Well, if we play the Clippers, they’re likely down Kawhi and that’s probably a bigger loss to them than CP is to us. I’d still like our chances in that series.

If we play Utah, they may be down Conley, which isn’t as impactful, but still hurts them. CP is just uniquely built to destroy Rudy so that part hurts. I still think we’d have a good shot there. Especially if we can take 1 of the first 2.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:55 pm
Well, if we play the Clippers, they’re likely down Kawhi and that’s probably a bigger loss to them than CP is to us. I’d still like our chances in that series.

If we play Utah, they may be down Conley, which isn’t as impactful, but still hurts them. CP is just uniquely built to destroy Rudy so that part hurts. I still think we’d have a good shot there. Especially if we can take 1 of the first 2.
Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:11 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:55 pm

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Courtesy of the IMMORTAL John Belushi...Animal House...

"Cause when the going get's tough..., ..., ...., ....the..., ..., tough get going!"

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

But of course, this necessitates a revisit of the all time great...1941!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Fuck

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Booker was a historic omission. He and Donovan Mitchell became only the second and third players in league history to not make an All-NBA team while averaging at least 25 points per game on a team with a top-2 record, per ESPN Stats and Info.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:53 pm

3. Will likely clear his system quickly (he's probably going to be able to pass two tests in a 24 hour period relatively soon)

Hopefully the league takes this into consideration when he does get his two negative tests in a row.

Worst fear is that they make him wait 10 days after 2 negative tests in a row: that makes no medical sense anymore given that protocol was written BEFORE a vaccine was available.

Of course, it would be the Suns luck to lose another playoff series based on the leagues slavish devotion to the letter of the rules.

(Then again, as head of the NBAPA, Paul has some unique leverage with the league)
Lots of interesting commentary on this thread.

So what makes medical sense to you? Why two tests? Why not one? Why not seven?

From the CDC:
Fully vaccinated people should not visit private or public settings if they have tested positive for COVID-19 in the prior 10 days or are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html

Not saying it’s right or wrong, again just interesting that everyone is an expert on COVID-19 these days. Would love to hear the recommendations on HIV, Ebola, Cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc

As a Suns fan I hope CP3 is back as soon as possible, obviously.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:51 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Lots of interesting commentary on this thread.

So what makes medical sense to you? Why two tests? Why not one? Why not seven?

From the CDC:
Fully vaccinated people should not visit private or public settings if they have tested positive for COVID-19 in the prior 10 days or are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html

Not saying it’s right or wrong, again just interesting that everyone is an expert on COVID-19 these days. Would love to hear the recommendations on HIV, Ebola, Cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc

As a Suns fan I hope CP3 is back as soon as possible, obviously.
But isn't that CDC quote speaking to the general public, who would not have access to having 2 negative tests taken 24 hours apart?

The NBA protocols since the beginning of the season (even for unvaccinated people) say that 2 negative tests is enough to be cleared, without waiting 10 days:
Anyone who tests positive will have two routes to return to work: go 10 days or more after the first positive test or onset of symptoms, or test negative twice at least 24 hours apart via PCR testing.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-establishe ... -21-season
However, they also say this:
Any player who tests positive, even if asymptomatic, will not be allowed to exercise for a minimum of 10 days and then must be monitored in individual workouts for an additional two days.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I bet he's out 2 weeks. A few days until he can get a negative test result, then 10 days after that before the league will clear him.