Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 8097
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by ShelC »












User avatar
bajanguy008
Posts: 3896
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by bajanguy008 »

I was like yeah right lol but this is actually true. There were some times I thought DA could challenge persons at the rim against Lakers but we really need him on the floor and out of foul trouble

Payne avg 1 blk per game is something else. Mikal is next at 0.9
Totals Cam P - 7, Mikal n Jae - 6, Torrey - 5, DA - 4
Obviously in seven games you would like to see DA have a bigger total but not gonna harp on it too much. Just somewhere he needs to grow but we all know how well he doing overall so far

So yea shoutout to The Spark Plug tho 🙂

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

User avatar
Aztec Sunsfan
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm
I don’t have a problem with Thibs winning, I’d rather win playoff series and I’m sure Monty agrees.
There is also some sort of streak, where no winner of CotY remains with his teams over two years after winning it, I’m pretty sure I read something along this lines.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 5094
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:05 pm
I was like yeah right lol but this is actually true. There were some times I thought DA could challenge persons at the rim against Lakers but we really need him on the floor and out of foul trouble

Payne avg 1 blk per game is something else. Mikal is next at 0.9
Totals Cam P - 7, Mikal n Jae - 6, Torrey - 5, DA - 4
Obviously in seven games you would like to see DA have a bigger total but not gonna harp on it too much. Just somewhere he needs to grow but we all know how well he doing overall so far

So yea shoutout to The Spark Plug tho 🙂
One of my favorite takes is that blocks are an overrated stat, and this data is support for it.

There is an exception, though. Guards who get blocks are a huge advantage to the defense because of how much it helps with rebounding and closing out shooters.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

Online
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 13195
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm
I don’t have a problem with Thibs winning, I’d rather win playoff series and I’m sure Monty agrees.
There is also some sort of streak, where no winner of CotY remains with his teams over two years after winning it, I’m pretty sure I read something along this lines.
There’s been quite a few…the coaches who’ve won coach of the year and are still with the team they won(PopovichX3, Kerr, Budenholzer, Nurse, and Thibs) The last 3 are the last 3 winners and there is honestly probably a decent chance Bud gets fired if this series doesn’t turn around for Milwaukee. So I guess Pop and Kerr are the only ones who’ve broken the COTY curse
Split: I would trade DA for SGA right now(11-24-2020)

Cap: I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13780
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:27 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm
I don’t have a problem with Thibs winning, I’d rather win playoff series and I’m sure Monty agrees.
There is also some sort of streak, where no winner of CotY remains with his teams over two years after winning it, I’m pretty sure I read something along this lines.
There’s been quite a few…the coaches who’ve won coach of the year and are still with the team they won(PopovichX3, Kerr, Budenholzer, Nurse, and Thibs) The last 3 are the last 3 winners and there is honestly probably a decent chance Bud gets fired if this series doesn’t turn around for Milwaukee. So I guess Pop and Kerr are the only ones who’ve broken the COTY curse
Probably won't happen because of how outspoken he is, but when Pop retires the coaching award should be named after him.

User avatar
Aztec Sunsfan
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

That would be great, my second best perhaps, is The Jerry Sloan CotY Award, to repair taking him for granted and actually never naming him winner. He never won a championship, granted, but how many CotY actually do as well?

I'm pretty sure most of them fails to do it on the year they are enshrined, so its fitting. :D
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 4893
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:10 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:27 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm
I don’t have a problem with Thibs winning, I’d rather win playoff series and I’m sure Monty agrees.
There is also some sort of streak, where no winner of CotY remains with his teams over two years after winning it, I’m pretty sure I read something along this lines.
There’s been quite a few…the coaches who’ve won coach of the year and are still with the team they won(PopovichX3, Kerr, Budenholzer, Nurse, and Thibs) The last 3 are the last 3 winners and there is honestly probably a decent chance Bud gets fired if this series doesn’t turn around for Milwaukee. So I guess Pop and Kerr are the only ones who’ve broken the COTY curse
Probably won't happen because of how outspoken he is, but when Pop retires the coaching award should be named after him.
The trophy is already named after Red Auerbach, I believe.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13780
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:35 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:10 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:27 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm
I don’t have a problem with Thibs winning, I’d rather win playoff series and I’m sure Monty agrees.
There is also some sort of streak, where no winner of CotY remains with his teams over two years after winning it, I’m pretty sure I read something along this lines.
There’s been quite a few…the coaches who’ve won coach of the year and are still with the team they won(PopovichX3, Kerr, Budenholzer, Nurse, and Thibs) The last 3 are the last 3 winners and there is honestly probably a decent chance Bud gets fired if this series doesn’t turn around for Milwaukee. So I guess Pop and Kerr are the only ones who’ve broken the COTY curse
Probably won't happen because of how outspoken he is, but when Pop retires the coaching award should be named after him.
The trophy is already named after Red Auerbach, I believe.
i know

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 4893
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by The Bobster »

50 Landmark Moments in Suns History (mostly good, a few bad) -

1968 - Richard Bloch group awarded franchise
1968 - Hire Jerry Colangelo as General Manager
1968 - Select Gail Goodrich & Dick Van Arsdale in expansion draft
1969 - Lose coin flip for Lew Alcindor
1969 - Sign Connie Hawkins
1969 - Trade for Paul Silas
1970 - Hire Cotton Fitzsimmons as coach
1972 - Sign Charlie Scott
1972 - Hire Al McCoy as broadcaster
1973 - Hire John MacLeod as coach
1975 - Trade for Paul Westphal
1975 - Draft Alvan Adams
1976 - Play in NBA Championship Series against Boston
1976 - Alvan Adams is named NBA Rookie of the Year
1977 - Draft Walter Davis
1978 - Walter Davis is named NBA Rookie of the Year
1979 - Trade for Truck Robinson
1980 - Trade for Dennis Johnson
1980 - Draft Larry Nance
1980 - The Gorilla makes his debut
1986 - Draft Jeff Hornacek
1986 - Drug investigation
1987 - Trade for Kevin Johnson
1987 - Jerry Colangelo group buys team
1988 - Hire Cotton Fitzsimmons as coach and Paul Westphal as eventual coach
1988 - Draft Dan Majerle
1988 - Sign Tom Chambers
1992 - Trade for Charles Barkley
1992 - Move into America West Arena
1993 - Play in NBA Finals against Chicago
1993 - Charles Barkley is named NBA Most Valuable Player
1995 - Draft Michael Finley
1996 - Trade for Jason Kidd
1997 - Trade for Antonio McDyess
1999 - Draft Shawn Marion
2001 - Trade for Stephon Marbury
2002 - Draft Amare Stoudemire
2003 - Amare Stoudemire is named NBA Rookie of the Year
2003 - Hire Mike D'Antoni as coach
2004 - Robert Sarver group buys team
2004 - Sign Steve Nash
2005 - Steve Nash is named NBA Most Valuable Player
2006 - Steve Nash is named NBA Most Valuable Player
2008 - Trade for Shaquille O'Neal
2012 - Sign Goran Dragic
2015 - Draft Devin Booker
2018 - Draft Deandre Ayton & trade for Mikal Bridges
2018 - Hire James Jones as General Manger
2019 - Hire Monty Williams as coach
2020 - Trade for Chris Paul
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 1739
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by pickle »

I had forgotten that Marion and Amare were that many years apart...

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 4706
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Nodack »

I remember when they drafted Marion and they played a gag on him. They set up Marion as a professional bike taxi driver down town as part of the Suns pre game to see if anyone would recognize him. He picked up these two guys and started to drive them to their destination. If I remember it correctly the two guys start talking about what a horrible pick Marion was in the draft and Marion starts defending himself posing as a taxi driver.

Mario “I heard he was real good”

Passenger “He’s a stiff.”

What Marion didn’t know was that the two guys were plants who were intentionally talking smack to see what Marions reaction would be for the pre game entertainment.

Online
User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 21709
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13780
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:52 pm
I remember when they drafted Marion and they played a gag on him. They set up Marion as a professional bike taxi driver down town as part of the Suns pre game to see if anyone would recognize him. He picked up these two guys and started to drive them to their destination. If I remember it correctly the two guys start talking about what a horrible pick Marion was in the draft and Marion starts defending himself posing as a taxi driver.

Mario “I heard he was real good”

Passenger “He’s a stiff.”

What Marion didn’t know was that the two guys were plants who were intentionally talking smack to see what Marions reaction would be for the pre game entertainment.
I think of that segment very often.

The other thing about those guys is that they were HUGE. Like the two of them had to be pushing 600 pounds. I am betting nobody would let a rookie get on a pedi-cab and try and pull people around like that anymore.

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 3203
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by AmareIsGod »

Anyone have access to this?

How Chris Paul and the Phoenix Suns are flummoxing the NBA with the league's most complex pick-and-roll
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/ ... -pick-roll
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
bajanguy008
Posts: 3896
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well this is cool 8-)
🔥🔥

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Online
User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 21709
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Superbone »

I enjoyed the beginning of the article. Sure would love to see the rest of it.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13780
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:18 am
I enjoyed the beginning of the article. Sure would love to see the rest of it.
Just costs you $72 a year... :roll:

Online
User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 21709
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:20 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:18 am
I enjoyed the beginning of the article. Sure would love to see the rest of it.
Just costs you $72 a year... :roll:
True, but I'm not going to pay that for one article. Not enough content of interest to me to pay a subscription.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13780
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:24 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:20 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:18 am
I enjoyed the beginning of the article. Sure would love to see the rest of it.
Just costs you $72 a year... :roll:
True, but I'm not going to pay that for one article. Not enough content of interest to me to pay a subscription.
Oh, I completely agree. Espn shouldn't get a dime from me because I think they suck. But I am stuck paying them through Cox subscriber fees.

Post Reply