Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:13 pm
I bet he's out 2 weeks. A few days until he can get a negative test result, then 10 days after that before the league will clear him.
No, it's 10 days after the first symptoms or positive test, with 2 days of monitoring after that. But it sounds like they may let vaccinated players return sooner.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In the meantime, he can’t practice with the team to prep for Utah.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:05 pm
NICE!
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:08 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:51 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:53 pm
If he's asymptomatic, and vaccinated that means:

1. He's likely to be fine when he gets back (no long COVID)

2. Probably isn't transmissable

3. Will likely clear his system quickly (he's probably going to be able to pass two tests in a 24 hour period relatively soon)

Hopefully the league takes this into consideration when he does get his two negative tests in a row.

Worst fear is that they make him wait 10 days after 2 negative tests in a row: that makes no medical sense anymore given that protocol was written BEFORE a vaccine was available.

Of course, it would be the Suns luck to lose another playoff series based on the leagues slavish devotion to the letter of the rules.

(Then again, as head of the NBAPA, Paul has some unique leverage with the league)
Lots of interesting commentary on this thread.

So what makes medical sense to you? Why two tests? Why not one? Why not seven?

From the CDC:
Fully vaccinated people should not visit private or public settings if they have tested positive for COVID-19 in the prior 10 days or are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html

Not saying it’s right or wrong, again just interesting that everyone is an expert on COVID-19 these days. Would love to hear the recommendations on HIV, Ebola, Cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc

As a Suns fan I hope CP3 is back as soon as possible, obviously.
But isn't that CDC quote speaking to the general public, who would not have access to having 2 negative tests taken 24 hours apart?

The NBA protocols since the beginning of the season (even for unvaccinated people) say that 2 negative tests is enough to be cleared, without waiting 10 days:
Anyone who tests positive will have two routes to return to work: go 10 days or more after the first positive test or onset of symptoms, or test negative twice at least 24 hours apart via PCR testing.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-establishe ... -21-season
However, they also say this:
Any player who tests positive, even if asymptomatic, will not be allowed to exercise for a minimum of 10 days and then must be monitored in individual workouts for an additional two days.

The general public does have access now. At least in AZ it’s readily available.

I don’t know what the right answer is, but I love the extreme comments either way as if there’s an obviously correct one and we aren’t just making it up as we go based on our best available evidence

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I had a mild case of Covid months ago. Banner health told me I had to wait ten days after testing positive and not have any symptoms before I could return to action and not be contagious. If we are already a couple of days into this, he may only have to wait just over a week before returning to action providing he has no symptoms. That could mean an outside chance of just one missed game or possibly none if the Jazz/Clippers go 7 I think. I don’t have the NBA playoff schedule. Do they play the WCF’s two days after the conclusion of the Jazz/Clippers or three?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:27 pm
I had a mild case of Covid months ago. Banner health told me I had to wait ten days after testing positive and not have any symptoms before I could return to action and not be contagious. If we are already a couple of days into this, he may only have to wait just over a week before returning to action providing he has no symptoms. That could mean an outside chance of just one missed game or possibly none if the Jazz/Clippers go 7 I think. I don’t have the NBA playoff schedule. Do they play the WCF’s two days after the conclusion of the Jazz/Clippers or three?
We start Sunday if it ends in 6, we start Tuesday if it goes 7

Cap

Post by Cap »

Latest championship odds from BetMGM, and implied probabilities:
 +180 (32.3%) Nets
 +350 (20.1%) Suns
 +500 (15.1%) Jazz
 +700 (11.3%) Bucks
 +900 ( 9.0%) Clippers
+1100 ( 7.5%) 76ers
+1800 ( 4.8%) Hawks

Conference championship odds:
 -135 (52.8%) Suns
 +260 (25.5%) Jazz
 +325 (21.6%) Clippers

Conference semi-finals:
  -185 (61.9%) Clippers
  +150 (38.1%) Jazz

Jazz probability of winning WCF if there: 25.5/38.1 = 66.9%
Clippers probability of winning WCF if there: 21.6/61.9 = 34.9%

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Haven't listened to this but there seems to be a bit more info from Flex

Split T

Post by Split T »

I listened, highlights I heard:

1. CP3 tested positive Monday
2. He is asymptomatic
3. Just needs 2 negative tests, no automatic quarantine length
4. Was talking about viral loads and he didn’t seem to know what exactly he was talking about, but basically that CP3 was barely over the threshold for a positive test.
5. Suns/NBA won’t have an update until Saturday

He also said he had some unrelated info, but would wait until a later time to share it. Not sure if he actually has something or he’s just playing it up for followers.

Take it for what it’s worth. I do think he has some kind of source connected to CP3’s agency, but every thing he says isn’t sourced and I’m not always sure how to tell with him.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Did they mention what type of test? Regardless, if the viral load is barely over the positive threshold, it's possible and even likely that he'll test negative as early as today and be back by the day after tomorrow. Vaccinated folks get over COVID quite easily.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 am
Did they mention what type of test? Regardless, if the viral load is barely over the positive threshold, it's possible and even likely that he'll test negative as early as today and be back by the day after tomorrow. Vaccinated folks get over COVID quite easily.
This sounds accurate. Honestly, if he wasn't being regularly tested, he probably never would have known. As a (very) healthy, vaccinated, 36 year old man he should be able to fight it off pretty easily. The only vaccinated people who struggle to do so are ones who are immunocompromised (for whatever reason, such as medications for Lupus, organ transplants, etc...). I would not be surprised if the viral fragment load drops below the threshold by the next test or two.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll only lose him for one game at most, if what flex says is true.

That said.... the Clippers look freaking scary. They're playing some monster basketball, and they're pretty deep. They're well constructed to beat the Suns playing small ball with 5 guys who shoot 40+% from three point range on the floor at all times. Ayton's going to be guarding a SF on the perimeter all the time (Batum or Morris), clearing out the lane for George to work inside. Defense is going to require a lot of stunting, or hoping that Crowder / Bridges can lock down George 1v1 (good luck, he's playing out of his mind).

Here's to hoping the Jazz win Game 6, and push it to seven games, though I don't think it's happening. Regardless, George has been logging HEAVY minutes, and will be coming into the series pretty beat up. There's a non-trivial chance that the Clippers suffer another injury between now and the WCF with the minutes their starters are playing.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

virtual9mm wrote:
Almost certainly PCR, if they're testing people early (asymptomatic or initial onset).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:26 am
virtual9mm wrote:
This sounds accurate. Honestly, if he wasn't being regularly tested, he probably never would have known. As a (very) healthy, vaccinated, 36 year old man he should be able to fight it off pretty easily. The only vaccinated people who struggle to do so are ones who are immunocompromised (for whatever reason, such as medications for Lupus, organ transplants, etc...). I would not be surprised if the viral fragment load drops below the threshold by the next test or two.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll only lose him for one game at most, if what flex says is true.

That said.... the Clippers look freaking scary. They're playing some monster basketball, and they're pretty deep. They're well constructed to beat the Suns playing small ball with 5 guys who shoot 40+% from three point range on the floor at all times. Ayton's going to be guarding a SF on the perimeter all the time (Batum or Morris), clearing out the lane for George to work inside. Defense is going to require a lot of stunting, or hoping that Crowder / Bridges can lock down George 1v1 (good luck, he's playing out of his mind).

Here's to hoping the Jazz win Game 6, and push it to seven games, though I don't think it's happening. Regardless, George has been logging HEAVY minutes, and will be coming into the series pretty beat up. There's a non-trivial chance that the Clippers suffer another injury between now and the WCF with the minutes their starters are playing.
Ayton needs to punish them for going small. If he can feast on the boards, he can force them to play Zubac. One thing we do have in our favor that Utah doesn’t is we can match the clippers and switch everything, stalling out their offense as well.

It might turn into who can iso the best(PG, Morris, Jackson vs Paul and Booker) or who can hunt out the mismatches. I don’t think we really have any weak links defensively. They may try to get PG isolated onto Paul or Payne, but I actually think our pg’s hold up well in those situations. They could target Ayton, but if the clippers are going to put the series into the hands of Reggie Jackson isolating on Ayton, I like our chances. We can also always turn to Craig at the 5 in that scenario.

The clippers without Kawhi are not as formidable

LVSunsFAN

Post by LVSunsFAN »

virtual9mm wrote:
Are we certain he is vaccinated?
I haven't heard anything since Rankin wrote "it isn't clear whether Paul is fully vaccinated" in AZCentral yesterday

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jalen Rose said he was and Matt Barnes said CP told him he was vaxxed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LVSunsFAN wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:12 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Are we certain he is vaccinated?
I haven't heard anything since Rankin wrote "it isn't clear whether Paul is fully vaccinated" in AZCentral yesterday
I'm listening to FLEX right now. He's 100% the he was vaxxed in February along with a bunch of other Suns.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Wondering if he got both shots ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:27 am
Wondering if he got both shots ...
Come on. Stop it. If he got one, he got them both. Or J&J. We've got enough to worry about as is, Laz. :P
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If FLEX was a betting man, he'd bet on Paul missing Game 1 at most.
"Be Legendary."