Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (1-0), Tues 5/25/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (1-0), Tues 5/25/21

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

LVSunsFAN wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:54 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:49 pm
Johnson/Bridges/Crowder need to get their head out their asses and contribute.

We’re not winning with them being total zeros. Paul or no Paul.

Play Frank I am so done with Dario.

Wasting great effort by Book and DA. Another horrendous stretch to end the game where we went panic iso mode.
Agreed
Dario has been the reason for a bunch of turnovers
Dario was brutal in the first quarter. I think he had three turnovers in what seemed like 90 seconds.

I don't think Frank is the answer, but Monty might not have another choice.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:47 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:43 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:42 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:40 pm
LVSunsFAN wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:07 pm

This play took Crowder out of the game.
CP3 obviously would've been a huge difference.
And we still weren't that far away from winning. Less turnovers and more Bridges next game please!
It should have been a Flagrant 2 (ejection), and we would be up 2-0. But it's the Lakers so they wouldn't call it. If it was the Suns, they would have ejected our player.
Relax. It didn't "take him out of the game" and AD shouldn't have been ejected. It played out exactly like it should've.
How is that not "unnecessary and excessive contact"?
Because it was clearly unintentional.

Do you really believe AD went up for that shot and thought, "Yeah, now's the time I'm gonna try to kick Crowder in the nuts."?
That is by no means a normal shooting motion.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

3rdside

Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (1-0), Tues 5/25/21

Post by 3rdside »

The bad news is i don’t think we can win without Paul, and he’s got a long way to go to recover from his injury:

And:

Last edited by 3rdside on Tue May 25, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:01 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

It should have been a Flagrant 2 (ejection), and we would be up 2-0. But it's the Lakers so they wouldn't call it. If it was the Suns, they would have ejected our player.
Relax. It didn't "take him out of the game" and AD shouldn't have been ejected. It played out exactly like it should've.

Do you really believe AD went up for that shot and thought, "Yeah, now's the time I'm gonna try to kick Crowder in the nuts."?
:lol: OK, coach.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

3rdside wrote:
The bad news is i don’t think we can win without Paul, and he’s got a long way to go to recover from his injury:
Yeah, I think we were all holding our breath and hoping for the best, but it's clear that he's not going to get much better anytime soon.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

The good news is he might be more inclined to take a three year sweetheart deal allowing us to resign ayton and bridges more easily.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I still think we would have been better off with Paul in the game the last 3 minutes. He may have been able to will us to victory. If he's gonna play at the beginning of the 4th quarter, why not play him at the end, when he's your leader?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Craig needs minutes over Saric at this point. Let them go out gunning. If they have to, let Frank play several minutes. It is what it is. Saric and Paul can sit. Let Moore play backup next game. Even if they go up 2-1 on us, CP3 will be better able to contribute something by Sunday.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:08 pm
I still think we would have been better off with Paul in the game the last 3 minutes. He may have been able to will us to victory. If he's gonna play at the beginning of the 4th quarter, why not play him at the end, when he's your leader?
I think that's an easy thing to say in retrospect and a lot of people, including myself, would've been asking why Monty didn't play Payne when he basically brought the team back in Paul's absence.

Cam Payne deserved the chance to close out this game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:09 pm
Craig needs minutes over Saric at this point. Let them go out gunning. If they have to, let Frank play several minutes. It is what it is. Saric and Paul can sit. Let Moore play backup next game. Even if they go up 2-1 on us, CP3 will be better able to contribute something by Sunday.
Yeah, I think this is the direction Monty will go. It seems like he's playing Saric because he's a thicc boi and that's a better matchup against the Lakers beef, but at some point they gotta play the guy who's performed the best and that's been Craig for a while now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Do we sit Paul on Thursday? That would give him 5 days to get right...I guess it depends on how he feels, but if he’s going to play like tonight, just sit him. Make a game plan for Payne starting. Maybe just maybe, LA will relax just a bit and we can steal the game without CP3. We could really use one of those Crowder 7/7 from 3 games.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:02 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

:lol: OK, coach.
There is also more of a history to it. Davis punched Crowder in the face in the Finals.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Split T wrote:Do we sit Paul on Thursday? That would give him 5 days to get right...I guess it depends on how he feels, but if he’s going to play like tonight, just sit him. Make a game plan for Payne starting. Maybe just maybe, LA will relax just a bit and we can steal the game without CP3. We could really use one of those Crowder 7/7 from 3 games.
I think this is right - make cam the starter for the next couple of games and work Paul back in around that, hoping he’s fit for game 5.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

JeremyG wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
LVSunsFAN wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:07 pm

This play took Crowder out of the game.
CP3 obviously would've been a huge difference.
And we still weren't that far away from winning. Less turnovers and more Bridges next game please!
This needs a 'headline this photo' contest...for me, it would be..."And the arena then echoed with his scream, 'Oh,, my balls...!"

Sorry, tough loss...and shows where we are with Paul hurt... unfortunately...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

I think we should start kicking their players in the nuts and see how they do.
"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

We may be the only team in the playoffs without a forward capable of getting us 10 points a night and count on it.

We all love these guys right (Bridges, Crowder,Johnson and Craig)

Which one of them would you bet $100 on to get us 10 points in LA on Thursday? I would not bet on any of them.

This is a problem with this roster.

Who do you want to spell Ayton - Sario or Frank ?

This is another problem with this roster.

I say sit Paul and give minutes to Moore. At least he is a willing and capable shooter with the ability to share the ball as well. This circumstance was one of the reasons we signed him.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:34 am
It was obvious as it was happening. He wanted to take on Caruso but he didn't really have a move to put on him, just tried to bully in for a close shot.

I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen him make a counter move near the basket all season. I hope he spends more time there than extending his shooting range this off season.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Tough game but we battled through despite Paul's injury. I don't know when he gets healthy but stingers can affect you for a while. His arm could be weaker, he could still not have feeling in some places, he may not have full range of motion or be able to really get his arm over his head. You could see him favoring the arm, using his left to dribble a lot of the time, not getting his right arm up on defense. I don't know if sitting him Game 3 will help with recovery; maybe it helps the team mentally just knowing he's not available and can focus on getting the job done with Payne and Book (and maybe Moore off the bench).

I thought the Lakers were trapping Book effectively and cut off passing lanes with their length, but really, not having CP as a threat makes defending Book that much easier. We need to find other scorers. As well as Bridges is defending LBJ, he's been taken out of the games on offense, which was always a fear. Cam Johnson hit a few 3s and was looking good but didn't get any other good looks. He also did a good job on LBJ I thought. But we need more aggressive looks from them. Crowder, same thing - defending well but the Lakers are bothering the 3pt shot. We're just not getting them the rhythm shot they're used to.

Saric is overmatched but we don't have a lot of other options. He's tough and physical, but his offense is negated against their bigs unless he's going to hit his 3s. I don't know if Frank offers more in terms of a little more size and spacing or Craig gives us more defensively and athletically but we can't give up so many offensive rebounds and putbacks to Drum.

Payne was the MVP of the game. If he's going to see an increased role, we're doing to need him to repeat that kind of performance. I think there were some issues later in the game as to whether he or Book were running things or what they were running which needs to get ironed out.

DA had another strong game but I think only had 2 boards in the 1st half so he's gotta be more active to start games unless he's afraid of fouls, which is fair. Fumbled a few passes again and couldn't take advantage of Caruso in the post on a key play but I'm not sure that's even really his fault.

Monty and the coaches have to figure out a few things - they need to find more ways to shake Book loose, they gotta work on getting Jae, Cam and Mikal better scoring opportunities and we need to contain Schroder who was getting into the lane too easily.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Everything ties to CP3, that's just the awful truth

How many "learning/teaching moments" we saw when he would let Book initiate the late game offense and we bogged down some but more often than not got better looks when he initiated

That's the domino effect right now. Payne was awesome doing what the team encourages, "be a spark getting to the basket" and hitting his 3s. Payne high assist games have been when we are getting out and run, getting quality looks for everyone in half court is still where Payne needs to grow

So that leads to the fact that yes we don't have ISO forwards, the looks are generated from Book but mainly CP3 then it's on them to make their 3s or make a play off the bounce against "a defender rotating".
Basically the last 6mins of the game each of them got the ball with no air space, Jae probably got 1 or 2 good looks which he really needed to hit and that's that. We were just unable to get the Lakers having to help and recover.

So no timely CP3 pull-ups in that high PnR, no easy look for DA on a dish or swing passes for 3s if they overreacted or over helped. Lakers D scheme changed a little also as they weren't really leaving the corner 3 as much. EJ basically said it in every game, that Ok I will look for my shot now phase of the game by CP3 has been instrumental all season.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)