Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (1-0), Tues 5/25/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (1-0), Tues 5/25/21

Post by ShelC »

CP's midrange softened up the defense. We're really missing that. No one else can create now besides Book or Payne. I don't think LBJ is 100% as he isn't attacking the basket on offense. It'd be great if Mikal or CamJ could attack him on offense but can we scheme for that and can they make it happen? Can Book attack LBJ or is LBJ too big and strong? We need to make him close out and recover because he's getting off easy on defense.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:31 am
CP's midrange softened up the defense. We're really missing that. No one else can create now besides Book or Payne. I don't think LBJ is 100% as he isn't attacking the basket on offense. It'd be great if Mikal or CamJ could attack him on offense but can we scheme for that and can they make it happen? Can Book attack LBJ or is LBJ too big and strong? We need to make him close out and recover because he's getting off easy on defense.
Yes I agree with the LeBron take, it's a he will either feel better going forward or a this is how we will be playing all playoffs but to your point he definitely hasn't been trying to blow by or through people when isolated. I have no complaints with him having to resort to those turnarounds and fade aways, I will like to think some of those should start to clank :? . As for plays, yea he might not be fully explosive but we can't pick on him on D unfortunately, the only set we run for Mikal is when he starts from in the corner gets the pin down screen and curls towards the elbow or FT line. That play has worked because teams usually have a smaller player on him who he just rises up over on the catch or after a couple dribbles. So no that's definitely not working against LeBron and I think Book can shake but he will have to call LeBron's man to get him in the PnR to force a switch and they will probably just double anyways or even in a switch KCP/Caruso gonna still be lurking to help sooo :?
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't buy the thinking that we have no chance in the series without Paul at 100%. It will be hard, but this team has a lot of other talent. We just have to adjust.

I wish they'd just sit Paul for the next game and just start Payne, then give Moore some real minutes. Moore is a good creator and shooter/scorer, and playing him actual minutes would help us with our offense. I don't want to see this rotation of Payne + gimpy Paul out there standing around. Just sit him. He hurt us last night.

I think we absolutely can win games against this Laker team if we can control our turnovers. We had so many possessions where we didn't even get a shot off. It was so frustrating. The majority of the turnovers seemed to come from passes where a Laker jumped into the passing lane and stole it. Tighten up those passes and get good looks and we should be in much better shape.

The other thing they need to do is to stop freaking Schroder from driving to the basket 25 times a game for open layups. I lost count of how many times he zipped right past our defense and laid it right in. He really hurt us. Somebody needs to stay in front of him. If that means putting a Bridges or other good defender on him, fine, so be it.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:45 am
I don't buy the thinking that we have no chance in the series without Paul at 100%. It will be hard, but this team has a lot of other talent. We just have to adjust.

I wish they'd just sit Paul for the next game and just start Payne, then give Moore some real minutes. Moore is a good creator and shooter/scorer, and playing him actual minutes would help us with our offense. I don't want to see this rotation of Payne + gimpy Paul out there standing around. Just sit him. He hurt us last night.

I think we absolutely can win games against this Laker team if we can control our turnovers. We had so many possessions where we didn't even get a shot off. It was so frustrating. The majority of the turnovers seemed to come from passes where a Laker jumped into the passing lane and stole it. Tighten up those passes and get good looks and we should be in much better shape.

The other thing they need to do is to stop freaking Schroder from driving to the basket 25 times a game for open layups. I lost count of how many times he zipped right past our defense and laid it right in. He really hurt us. Somebody needs to stay in front of him. If that means putting a Bridges or other good defender on him, fine, so be it.
No problem with this take. I can't help myself, I still found myself listening to the so called analysts and national media....
There were times when the Lakers D was stifling but as you said most of our turnovers were just on us but everyone keeps spewing this Lakers came focused/energized or whatever and turned it up on the Suns, the End..... Whatever :roll: :roll:

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This is basically me right now
Not even just a Suns take, feel like I get these What Ifs with too many teams I follow smh

Gotta meditate or something
Geeez lol

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

“What if...” is the entire story of this franchise. It’s nothing new lol.

What if that coin flip went our way?

What if KJ doesn’t bump knees with Barkley?

What if Paxson misses that shot?

What if Manning doesn’t tear his ACL?

What if Joe Johnson doesn’t break his orbital bone?

What if Raja Bell is healthy in the WCF?

What if Amare and Diaw don’t get suspended?

What if Jason Richardson boxes out Ron Artest?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I knew we were in trouble when Paul couldn’t get his warmup jersey off without assistance before the game started. I say sit him in game 3 and play Payne and Moore.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (1-0), Tues 5/25

Post by Nodack »

The Lakers are supposed to win and they got embarrassed in game 1. The Lakers came out aggressive in game 2 and immediately got our bigs in foul trouble. The Suns tried to get it to Ayton early but, like sometimes happens, the passes didn’t connect and became turnovers and fast break points for the Lakers. They have to be real careful passing to Ayton in the post. The Lakers and the rest of the NBA obviously know that’s a weakness they can exploit. Those low bounce passes in traffic should be avoided.

The Lakers wanted it more and were the aggressive team. Paul was neutered offensively and Book waited way too long to start shooting the ball.

I was entertained by the one play where the Lakers set a pick on Paul. Paul saw Schroder coming and pretended to be a statue. Schroder dribbled next to Paul and jumped into him, went into his shooting motion and drew a foul. I was yelling at my screen. “They called that a foul?!”. On the very next play the Suns set a pick on Schroder, Paul dribbled next to Schroder, jumped into him and went into his shooting motion, lost the ball and no foul.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious elephant in the room:

Tyrese Haliburton.

Probably James Jones' biggest mistake, especially knowing CP3's injury history.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:36 am
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious elephant in the room:

Tyrese Haliburton.

Probably James Jones' biggest mistake, especially knowing CP3's injury history.
I think we’re all mentioned out from earlier in the year...but you’re right, would be especially nice to have him right now instead of Stix

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Kind of pointless to play "coulda, woulda, shoulda" with a guy who's hurt anyway.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

What elephant?

That train left the station long ago, if any, we “should” have traded for a real PF/C at the tradeline. It’s a more recent mistake, and a bigger reason we are struggling. Payne is doing a great job filling for Paul, and as Monty refused to go deeper and instead tried to go Booker/Paul/Payne, having Haliburton is not a sure fire alternative we left out the table.

But losing Crowder all the first half hurted us almost as much as would have been losing Ayton, since no one else have the size AND speed needed to complement De Andre against a Drummond, Davis and Lebron frontline.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Wed May 26, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

RUBIO WOULD HAVE US UP 2-0: In this essay I will ...

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:31 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:28 pm
Bad Ayton showed up
I disagree. They're actually boxing him out this game. He's doing fine.
At this point in the game, Ayton had beat the entire Laker team down the floor for a dunk off a Booker pass, played great one on one D on Davis to influence a miss and he grabbed the board, and he squared up Drummond and nailed a 16-footer in his eye. It was a good start.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:43 pm
I don't know why Saric is getting this time over Craig right now.
I don't think we can play that Craig-at-the-5 lineup Monty likes so much, not against this Laker team.

But yeah, Saric was awful.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:44 pm

How does Kuzma play in the NBA if he's also blind?
He managed to overcome that blindness to get a beautiful block on Mikal Bridges.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:53 pm
DA got his dunking shoes on tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So good to see. No hesitation; catching and flushing.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:07 pm
Horrible game from Crowder. Smh.
Horrible series.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

There seems to be several 7 footers around the league I never heard of that are now contributing as back ups in places like OKC, Toronto Boston and more.

That is what this roster needs.

James Jones try was Damian Jones. Right now he couldn't be any worse than Saric. What a shame he was fantastic in the bubble but hasn't been himself since his COVID issue. I wonder if he had a really bad case of it. I had a minor case and still seem tired but I am not trying to play NBA basketball. Just sayin
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:08 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:07 pm
Horrible game from Crowder. Smh.
Horrible series.
Horrible season.