Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (1-0), Tues 5/25/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (1-0), Tues 5/25/21

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

What's the over/under for number of minutes Ayton plays before getting called for two fouls in this game? 6 minutes seems about right to me. Craig didn't play much in game one, but I have a feeling he'll be needed in the second.

I think the Lakers will double-team Booker even more in this game, but they'll be much more active and deceptive with it. Watching back the replays, a bunch of the Lakers double-team schemes were just lazy and half-assed. That's a big reason why Booker was able to make some nice passes because we all know he's typically not a good passer in those situations. I'm expecting the Lakers to test Paul's effectiveness early by doubling off of him to Booker. It's risky, but it'll be a different look that could break the Suns rhythm early.

I also noticed the Lakers defended to take away passes to three point shooters in the first game. That might change a bit and we'll see Mikal/Crowder/Cam get a few more looks in the halfcourt. I hope at least one of them is locked in. A 5-6 from 3 game from one of them would be so huge.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Some Frank Vogel and Drummond quotes to stew over before the next game.

On the Paul boxout and subsequent LeBron injury.
"My view was an overly aggressive box out, dangerous play where Bron was in the air and got undercut and some guys stood up for him," Vogel said. "I didn't see the exact exchange in terms of what happened with the altercation, but that's why they have the video. They look at that and figure out what happened."
Well, that's certainly one way of looking at it..

Regarding the team's performance without LeBron on the court.
“We’ll have to look at the tape to see if there is anything we can do in all ways. Both sides of the ball, rotations, things like that. We’ve been pretty good of late with him out and obviously had half our season it feels like without him, so we can be better there. I think again, the attention that AD was drawing defensively limited us in that stretch, and we can be better in taking advantage of that attention.”

The were mostly bad without LeBron, so a massive grain of salt on "pretty good as of late".

On playing Drummond and AD together.

“I’m hesitant to really dive into everything that drives my decision-making on that because I don’t want to tip my hand with what lineups we’re going to play tomorrow night,” Vogel said. “There are times where our size makes more sense on both sides of the ball, and there are times where being more agile and mobile defensively and having more space offensively makes sense.

“But statistically, AD at the five last night definitely wasn’t as good as it was against Golden State, and I’d argue with what metrics you’re looking at in saying it was our best lineup in Game 1.”

Sure Frank, don't tip your hand. Would you like a little more time to prepare or would you again complain that it also gave the Suns staff more time as well?

Drummond on how he's fitting in.
“I think with the big lineup, we didn’t have enough time to work on it, so it’s something that we’re kind of just throwing out there with little time and little experience,” Drummond said after practice on Monday. “I think we’re doing a good job of figuring it out on the fly despite us being in the playoffs right now.

“Obviously lineup changes are going to happen. We’re going to do whatever it takes to win, so it’s just feeling it out and doing what’s best for the team.”
Sounds to me like they're not confident about much right now. I expect we'll see Marc Gasol get into game two along with some emergency Frank minutes due to early fouls on Ayton.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Whoever’s guarding AD will probably be in early foul trouble. DA’s performance goes down as his fouls go up. Getting AD in foul trouble somehow would be helpful.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

In some ways this looms as the toughest game of the series. We know the Lakers are going to come out strong, they'll make some adjustments, it's unlikely AD shoots as poorly as Game 1 and they'll probably get a great run with the refs. If we can absorb all that, do our thing and come away with a 2-0 lead it will really put the Lakers on their heels and make them doubt themselves big time. It's a completely different series if they take Game 2 (obviously).
Keys for me are limiting turnovers (especially sloppy unforced turnovers), Ayton staying out of foul trouble and repeating his Game 1 heroics and our 3 point shooting. (Also a healthy CP3)

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Yeah Booker had a great game as well as Ayton. However that is not what impressed me most. It was our total team effort. It was all men on deck to control the boards even though Ayton dominated. It was all out hustle for 48 minutes. If I get that version of the Suns I can deal with the result.

What concerns me most is 3 players on the Lakers and they are not named Lebron or Davis.

In no particular order.
1. Caruso
2. Harrel
3. Tucker

These are the kind of role players the Lakers have always had. It is the Laker way to bait the other team into bad play via cheap shots, flops (how many times did Caruso flop Sunday) I can't stand that guy and I don't know him. I have watched these type of players do cheap crap to win games for the Lakers, forever.

I think we have the players and depth to continue to cause the Lakers serious issues. Let's hope I am right.

Keep Lebron out of the lane and force Davis to shoot jumpers, easier said than done.

Go Suns
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Lakers losing Game 1 of a series three out of the last five times seems like a coaching thing to me. It extends to LeBron as well since he's been the coach/GM on every team he's played for with exception to the Heat. So I'm going to assume the Lakers staff wasn't willing to try anything dramatic in the first game because that's probably the right decision for a team with title expectations. Getting smacked in Game 1 and having to hear about how Booker and Ayton dominated them for two days should be enough motivation for them to be dangerous without a ton of adjustments.

Yet I wouldn't be shocked to see the Lakers test Paul's ability to use his right arm early. The Lakers should bait him into some of those midrange fadeaways that he loves. Obviously they shouldn't give him easy shots, but make it the easiest option for him to pick as a ballhandler.

I also want to see when LeBron will finally defend Booker. Maybe that'll neve really happen, but they look to be in trouble if they're expecting KCP and Caruso to keep him in check for a whole game. Maybe give THT a chance at it, but he's not really known for defensive intensity.

There's been a lot of noise about the Lakers needing to play AD at Center, but I think they're married to playing an extra big for some reason. It works if Ayton is in foul trouble and on the bench for long stretches because then we're looking at Saric/Frank/Craig trying to defend AD when they finally go smaller.

Indy

Post by Indy »

A series doesn't start until the home team loses a game. We need to make sure the series doesn't start tonight.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 am
A series doesn't start until the home team loses a game. We need to make sure the series doesn't start tonight.
Well it better start eventually, I want to watch it! Can it start in game 3?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:45 am
Indy wrote:
Ya let’s plan on that

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:50 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ya let’s plan on that
sounds great to me

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Enjoy the game Indy and Split !!
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Another look at the box score
I think we were so proud of the guys because we weathered the CP3 storm and never looked like the moment was too big for us. Played with the right level of intensity

Irony is that box score looks like one of those kinda games during the regular season which had the Msg Board super annoyed and just about all of us venting to some degree lol.
We only hit Nine 3s, guess only shooting 28 instead of 35-40 might be seen as not living by the 3 but don't think we've won many games hitting single digits

Jae was 0-7, I didn't notice he was that inefficient
Mikal missed gimme layups and shot 4-12
CP3 couldn't shoot
Payne shot wasn't there either

So yes the reports will all say Lakers lose as Bron n AD have poor Game 1 with young duo Book n Ayton playing superb. That gives the impression that the Suns as a team played well but we really didn't. We were just resilient, just 18pts in the 4th quarter

They will make adjustments and their effort will be much better but our guys gonna surely get those shooting opportunities again, plus I think Dario might be key in the Draymond "Connector" role getting passes from Book around the FT line/top of the arc and have to make his lil floater or quick pass to a 3pt shooter.
It's good we got a win with a bad shooting night so hopefully the guys make Lakers pay when they are late on rotations or cheating towards Book
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, I’m optimistic. Sure, the Lakers didn’t play well and will surely play better, but we also didn’t really play that well and still won fairly easily. I believe Cam/Mikal/Jae combined to go 4/17 from 3. I don’t think that will happen again. They should be better, and that plus a healthy CP3 should more than make up for any drop off from Ayton/Booker

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:39 am
Another look at the box score
I think we were so proud of the guys because we weathered the CP3 storm and never looked like the moment was too big for us. Played with the right level of intensity

Irony is that box score looks like one of those kinda games during the regular season which had the Msg Board super annoyed and just about all of us venting to some degree lol.
We only hit Nine 3s, guess only shooting 28 instead of 35-40 might be seen as not living by the 3 but don't think we've won many games hitting single digits

Jae was 0-7, I didn't notice he was that inefficient
Mikal missed gimme layups and shot 4-12
CP3 couldn't shoot
Payne shot wasn't there either

So yes the reports will all say Lakers lose as Bron n AD have poor Game 1 with young duo Book n Ayton playing superb. That gives the impression that the Suns as a team played well but we really didn't. We were just resilient, just 18pts in the 4th quarter

They will make adjustments and their effort will be much better but our guys gonna surely get those shooting opportunities again, plus I think Dario might be key in the Draymond "Connector" role getting passes from Book around the FT line/top of the arc and have to make his lil floater or quick pass to a 3pt shooter.
It's good we got a win with a bad shooting night so hopefully the guys make Lakers pay when they are late on rotations or cheating towards Book
We had 94 points with 4:57 left in the game, and scored our last points with 1:35 left in the game and still won. It was a pretty bad 4th quarter for us.

But we have had plenty of games the season where we couldn't score down the stretch. I hope it doesn't continue!

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:30 am
I wish I was going. I only have a 1/2 season ticket package, so I only get first dibs on half of the playoff tickets.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:18 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
I wish I was going. I only have a 1/2 season ticket package, so I only get first dibs on half of the playoff tickets.
Lower bowl tickets are available for the low low price of $600 each.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:25 am
Indy wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:18 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Lower bowl tickets are available for the low low price of $600 each.
I think I will save up my money to pay the 5k each of the finals tickets will be for the games I don't get.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:57 am
Split T wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ya let’s plan on that
sounds great to me
But if it starts with us going up 3-0, then it’s also over at that point, so technically it would never start.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:20 am
Indy wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:57 am
Split T wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ya let’s plan on that
sounds great to me
But if it starts with us going up 3-0, then it’s also over at that point, so technically it would never start.
Hmm, 1st round bye it is