Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Post by Superbone »

Time: 7:00 pm AZ (7:00 pm PT/10:00 pm ET)
Place: Staples Center, Los Angles, CA
TV: BSAZ, TNT

We’ve got to win at least one of the next two games. Might as well make it this one. Unfortunately, a gimpy Chris Paul is making it much more of a challenge. We’ve used the “next man up” approach all season. Don’t stop now. Beat LA!

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Post by virtual9mm »

Que sera, sera. What's important is that Booker and Ayton continue stepping up as future pillars of the franchise, and that Bridges joins them. Let's see how far the three of them and Cam Payne can take the Suns while CP3 is out or gimpy. I don't think he'll be back at 100% this playoffs.

But...you never know. It's too early to give up and the fruits of the Timeline still has a puncher's chance of making it to the second round and beyond. I'm liking what I'm seeing from the team with CP3 out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This playoffs is really setting up nicely for the suns...IF, and that’s a big IF, we can beat the Lakers. Denver/Portland in round 2 and Utah/Dallas in the WCF. I think the winner of this matchup is going to the Finals. I think I’d lean towards the winner of the East winning the whole thing though.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They can’t come out soft. The Lakers bigs have an advantage and exploited the hell out of it last game after being embarrassed in game one and getting pummeled by the media. AD got two fouls on Crowder and one on Ayton in the first couple of minutes of the game. Somehow they have to slow him down. The only way to do that is to get him in foul trouble. AD doesn’t seem to like to get physical and only gets physical when prodded to do so. He and Drummond redeemed themselves in game 2. Will they continue with that much ferocity in game 3? Them attacking our bigs paid off for them. What is the Suns counter game 3? They will be expecting a double team of AD. I say put Crowder on him and defend one on one unless AD starts trying to make a move towards the basket. Then come with a hard double and hope he doesn’t make a great pass. It’s better than all our bigs in foul trouble and a bunch of and ones.

Lebron has avoided driving to the basket and has played decoy for the most part focusing on setting other guys up aside from some outside shooting. I don’t think he wants to mess with the ankle too much right now. There has to be someway to exploit that. Play up on him and force him to put it on the floor and see how many times he wants to do that.

It’s time for Bridges to have a break out game.

Booker needs to be aggressive all the time. Paul needs to heal. Moore had a great game to end the season. Start him at the last second in place of Paul if Paul is gimpy. That should throw the Lakers off a little if they were prepared for a gimpy Paul.

I almost want to start Frank or Saric on AD and have them collect the first couple of AD fouls. Instruct them to not worry about fouling and instead focus on fouling and getting their money’s worth. I don’t think AD likes that and whatever he doesn’t like we should do. Bring in a fresh Crowder after AD has been softened up a little.
Last edited by Nodack on Wed May 26, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Ric Bucher: Not Suspending Anthony Davis For Groin Kick Would Be Unfair

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/conte ... be-unfair/
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The other thing with Paul's injury is the Lakers were really playing up and pressing him fullcourt, Schroder especially. So they know he's not 100% and at one point defensively, Paul told Book to switch with him and guard Schroder. So if Paul's a liability he has to sit.

I do like the idea of letting Frank and Dario collect the early fouls so Crowder and DA aren't taken out of the game.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:46 am
This playoffs is really setting up nicely for the suns...IF, and that’s a big IF, we can beat the Lakers. Denver/Portland in round 2 and Utah/Dallas in the WCF. I think the winner of this matchup is going to the Finals. I think I’d lean towards the winner of the East winning the whole thing though.
I think so, too. It's a damn shame if we can't find a way to beat these Lakers, because the West is wide open this year. There's really no superteam that scares the crap out of me, and I don't see a single opponent past this first round Laker series that I think we cannot beat. If we can get a split in the next two games in LA, the sky's the limit.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If everyone stayed healthy, we for sure would have made the Finals.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

There’s a real sense of frustration and what-if on here about Paul’s injury (understandably). I hope that feeling isn’t seeping into the Suns team - if it does we’re toast. Rather I hope they find a way to galvanise themselves into doing something special.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:37 pm
Does that include all the other teams too? Like if Murray wasn't hurt and Klay wasn't hurt and Mitchell and Lebron and Davis and... Just curious if you meant that or just the Suns.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:06 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Does that include all the other teams too? Like if Murray wasn't hurt and Klay wasn't hurt and Mitchell and Lebron and Davis and... Just curious if you meant that or just the Suns.
I meant the Suns. But I would say I think we could beat any team, at least in the west, if every team was healthy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:15 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
I meant the Suns. But I would say I think we could beat any team, at least in the west, if every team was healthy.
I think a fully healthy denver would be the biggest challenge.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:28 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:15 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
I think a fully healthy denver would be the biggest challenge.
Ya, they looked dangerous after the Gordon trade and before Murray went down

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think the Lakers will win this one pretty convincingly, and I expect Paul to not play.

Game 4 is the target. There's an extra day off between games 3 and 4, so that's a little extra time for Paul to recover. Get that one and we're in a 3 game series with home court advantage.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Paul is getting better and can be effective, then fine. But if he's forcing it and this is a pride thing with him and/or Monty's "trusting" him because it's Chris Paul then we're in trouble. We can't play at half speed because of his injury or make adjustments to hide him because he's being targeted by the Lakers. I'd rather see us go with Payne and Moore, play faster and try and run the Lakers (LBJ and Drum) off the floor.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I have a hard time believing much has changed in under 48 hours.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Stating the obvious but can't win the series without Chris Paul. Really liked our chances with him at 100%.

I'm glad Cam Payne bounced back after his abysmal game 1 but there's only so much even an effective Payne can do.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:05 am
This. And the Lakers are too smart to fall for us using him as a "decoy."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:07 am
Stating the obvious but can't win the series without Chris Paul.
I sure hope the Suns don’t have that attitude!

“ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!”
-Kevin Garnett
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:08 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:05 am
This. And the Lakers are too smart to fall for us using him as a "decoy."
Then why did they double-team him late in the game?