Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:50 am
I don't love him, but he is amazing. People complain that he went to Golden State, but he gave everything he could possible give to OKC. He didn't owe them anything else. And if you have 2-3 teams able to pay you the max, why not go to the bay area as a 20-something multi-millionaire with a great organization and great teammates? Would you avoid joining a company that offers you the most money because they are too good at what they do already?
Then why leave?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:02 am
That seemed to come out of nowhere. Was there a particular play when he was injured?

I was just watching an interview with him where he said he doesn't care about the Western Conference Finals. He's got bigger goals. Winning the NBA Finals.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Is speculation good enough to qualify as Breaking News?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:50 am
I don't love him, but he is amazing. People complain that he went to Golden State, but he gave everything he could possible give to OKC. He didn't owe them anything else. And if you have 2-3 teams able to pay you the max, why not go to the bay area as a 20-something multi-millionaire with a great organization and great teammates? Would you avoid joining a company that offers you the most money because they are too good at what they do already?
Then why leave?
Why leave OKC? Or why leave the Bay? If it is the Bay, my first thing would be to go do your own thing. The entire league whined and bitched about him going to join Curry/Klay/Green. Why not go to a team that can't win in the playoffs, as far away from the Bay as possible, and win a chip there? It isn't like Kyrie on his own was getting them anywhere, any more than Booker in Phoenix. I mean Portland had a better roster than Brooklyn before KD joined.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 am
ShelC wrote:
That seemed to come out of nowhere. Was there a particular play when he was injured?

I was just watching an interview with him where he said he doesn't care about the Western Conference Finals. He's got bigger goals. Winning the NBA Finals.
IIRC, it was a minor contact injury. He grimaced and started holding it and limping a bit, but kept playing for a short time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, devastating news for the Clips. Lot of teams being hit hard by injuries. There's a good lesson here about the risk of going all-in on 2-3 guys in free agency to try to carry your team to a title. That is biting the Laker, Clips, and Nets to varying degrees.

If our worst setback ends up being a sore shoulder and 1-2 games missed for covid protocol for Chris Paul, that's great luck.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Philly collapsing in the 4th

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This Atlanta comeback has been amazing. Good on them. Came back from a big deficit to win tonight and go up 3-2 in the series. Trae had 39 points.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It seems Doc Rivers will only get you so far.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Jazz about to lose to the Kawhi-less Clippers… :shock:

Wow.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

So Suns playing a Clippers team on Sunday or Tuesday, most likely without Kawhi or beat up jazz team on Tuesday. How we feeling about this?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:07 pm
So Suns playing a Clippers team on Sunday or Tuesday, most likely without Kawhi or beat up jazz team on Tuesday. How we feeling about this?
I feel really good about playing the clippers without Kawhi

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Clips advance and Kawhi is out, even if we are missing Chris Paul for a few games, we're going to the Finals.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

We were capable to endure losing Paul for ONE game, then LA destroyed us after the emotional rush settled on our side. Utah also had a chance to see how LAC reconfigured their rotation, so I think this goes to 7.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:13 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:07 pm
I feel really good about playing the clippers without Kawhi
Same. I just finished watching the game. I found myself hoping for the Clippers to win. I prefer our odds with home court advantage and no Leonard. Plus, it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve knocked the Clippers out of the playoffs.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Definitely want to see a Game 7 but I think we beat either team regardless.

Also Philly kinda sucks. Embiid always seems like he's laboring, Tobias Harris never really put it together with all that skill and just kind of floats, Simmons is an offensive liability and everyone else should be coming off the bench. Not a lot of talent throughout the roster. I've become a big fan of the Hawks since McMillan took over. Really nice roster, fun style of play and Trae is just awesome. They're not all that dissimilar from us, tho I think we play a lot more disciplined overall.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Looks like we'll be playing the Clippers on Sunday. Jazz threw their best punch in the first half, landed it squarely, and still lost.

I really don't like the idea of playing the Clippers. They were basically built to beat a team like ours, which is constructed very similarly to the Jazz. If we want to be the favorites, CP3 has to be back for Game 1. Otherwise, we're probably starting off 0-1 hole and losing home court advantage.

That said, without Ibaka and Leonard, and when the Suns have their full roster, they should be favored. The Clips are also going to come into this series beat up, and playing long minutes, increasing the odds they suffer injuries in the WCF (when you're playing hurt and tired, your odds of sustaining bigger injuries goes up as you compensate for all the little stuff that hurts)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:31 am
Looks like we'll be playing the Clippers on Sunday. Jazz threw their best punch in the first half, landed it squarely, and still lost.

I really don't like the idea of playing the Clippers. They were basically built to beat a team like ours, which is constructed very similarly to the Jazz. If we want to be the favorites, CP3 has to be back for Game 1. Otherwise, we're probably starting off 0-1 hole and losing home court advantage.

That said, without Ibaka and Leonard, and when the Suns have their full roster, they should be favored. The Clips are also going to come into this series beat up, and playing long minutes, increasing the odds they suffer injuries in the WCF (when you're playing hurt and tired, your odds of sustaining bigger injuries goes up as you compensate for all the little stuff that hurts)
I said it in the other thread, but without Kawhi I’m just not that worried. We have much better perimeter defenders. We can switch everything on them and take away a lot of their open 3 point looks. I think we’re better suited to beat their defense than Utah is as well. Utah has shooters, but they rarely put pressure on the rim and only have 1 guy who can attack switches. They also have a C who’s useless against switches. Ayton isn’t great, but with how he’s been playing, I have some faith he’ll take advantage of the small lineup and feast on the glass.