Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Post by pickle »

Sure. I am not offering to trade Johnson for Thybulle. This was a pure hypothetical and not predicated on some realistic scenario where we send an asset to acquire him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

On the bright side for Philly I thought Maxey had some good moments getting to the basket. They've been lacking a quick, attacking guard like that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:20 am
On the bright side for Philly I thought Maxey had some good moments getting to the basket. They've been lacking a quick, attacking guard like that.
You never know with Morey, but I think Philly shouldn't panic. Maybe trade Simmons, but otherwise all of their core is intact. I think Tobias Harris sucks and would dump him if I could, but I doubt they could get equal value for him given his monstrous contract. I think they should just bring the team (minus Ben Simmons) back next year with a bit of tweaking and a few new pieces. They showed that they do have some promising young guys like Maxxey and Thybulle and Seth Curry. Find a bit more shooting/scoring and they should be good to go. An agonizing playoff loss will help their guys for next time; we learn way more from failure than success.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Talking about contracts. It seems like the most important thing to do is not give out the bad ones.

If you look at the teams with problems,you always see one contract that’s out of range.

35+ should be for All-NBA player
25+ should be for All Star
15+ starter quality player
10 6th-7th men

Tobias is a fine player, but he’s never been an all star yet has that contract, same for guys like Wiggins. Atlanta is going to have a similar problem with Collins very soon. Even Utah has this problem with Conley.

I’m so relieved Ayton has started playing the way he has. Now you don’t worry as much giving him the max. As he’s looking very capable of becoming an All Star. He’s already the 3rd best center in the west, and is knocking on Gobert’s spot.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 am
ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:20 am
You never know with Morey, but I think Philly shouldn't panic. Maybe trade Simmons, but otherwise all of their core is intact. I think Tobias Harris sucks and would dump him if I could, but I doubt they could get equal value for him given his monstrous contract. I think they should just bring the team (minus Ben Simmons) back next year with a bit of tweaking and a few new pieces. They showed that they do have some promising young guys like Maxxey and Thybulle and Seth Curry. Find a bit more shooting/scoring and they should be good to go. An agonizing playoff loss will help their guys for next time; we learn way more from failure than success.
Or they could swap Harris for McCollum maybe and have Simmons play full time 4...

Split T

Post by Split T »

That makes sense too, but I still think Simmons and Embiid are a poor fit.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:12 am
That makes sense too, but I still think Simmons and Embiid are a poor fit.
I agree that they are but Simmons value is probably at an all time low and if I’m Morey I try to rehabilitate his value a bit first. Apparently he shot 67% from the line prior to the all star break. Maybe they can coax that out of him and then dump him on to Chicago for Pat Williams and Lauri Markannen?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Trae Young is doing his usual stuff in game one. I don't know how anyone could've been so certain the Bucks would win this series, especially the ones who thought they'd do it in 5 games.

How much do people need to watch the Bucks to realize they don't have a reliable offensive scheme?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

So are we talking hawks bucks here or a new thread is warranted? Young is going off and the Bucks can’t seem to slow him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:06 pm
So are we talking hawks bucks here or a new thread is warranted? Young is going off and the Bucks can’t seem to slow him.
Your wish is my command.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:06 pm
Trae Young is doing his usual stuff in game one. I don't know how anyone could've been so certain the Bucks would win this series, especially the ones who thought they'd do it in 5 games.

How much do people need to watch the Bucks to realize they don't have a reliable offensive scheme?
Barkley predicted Bucks in 4.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Bucks have so much talent, but they are missing a means to get a basket in crunch time when they really need one. I don't know how much of that is on personnel (you'd think that with guys like Giannis, Jrue, Middleton, Lopez, etc. that they could find ways to score), and how much is on coaching (Bud seems quite inflexible with his strategies in these playoffs).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not my problem.

:lol:

Indy

Post by Indy »

Barkley is likely the least reliable (big time) commentator on NBA basketball.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy

Post by Indy »

He must be really well liked by his peers and bosses at TNT, because otherwise I can't understand why he has a job doing what he is doing. I mean he is good to laugh at sometimes, but that gets old so quickly.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I view Barkley as being entertaining and funny and good for takes on certain topics, but not on many others. He's nice to have around, but I don't want to hear his view on who he thinks will win a game or series. He's wrong so often that it's become a joke even on the show itself. And he clearly doesn't put the work in to keep up to date on players, teams, and other things he should be learning.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:16 pm
I view Barkley as being entertaining and funny and good for takes on certain topics, but not on many others. He's nice to have around, but I don't want to hear his view on who he thinks will win a game or series. He's wrong so often that it's become a joke even on the show itself. And he clearly doesn't put the work in to keep up to date on players, teams, and other things he should be learning.
If he can't look at a team and figure out which one is better, and doesn't know which players play where, what good takes does he have (and on which topics)?

I mean, I guess he is about as useful as a common fan. Doesn't watch a lot of basketball, and only never studies basketball. But likes to talk. But he does let you laugh at him, so there is that. I think he is just kept around for comic relief.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:24 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
If he can't look at a team and figure out which one is better, and doesn't know which players play where, what good takes does he have (and on which topics)?

I mean, I guess he is about as useful as a common fan. Doesn't watch a lot of basketball, and only never studies basketball. But likes to talk. But he does let you laugh at him, so there is that. I think he is just kept around for comic relief.
Even if he doesn't know everything about the teams or players, he knows a ton about the game of basketball itself and how the game should be played, from his HOF playing career.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:55 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:24 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Even if he doesn't know everything about the teams or players, he knows a ton about the game of basketball itself and how the game should be played, from his HOF playing career.
hard disagree there. He knows what it is like to be the greatest player on a really good team, and knows about out-competing your opponent in-game. He doesn't know about leadership, or dedication to training/preparing in the gym/practice court, or even basketball theory. If you asked him to tell you the key plays each of the remaining 4 teams play, he wouldn't have a clue. Sure he would say they play pick-n-roll on offense, or talk about the switching defenses (and maybe even drop coverage). But he couldn't tell you the types of switching coverage, or the types of pnr. His idea of great basketball is letting the best player on the court dominate the game. He doesn't know or understand team basketball.