Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 pm
Jazz with their Bulletin Board material ?

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

pickle

Post by pickle »

If he fixed all those problems he’s at least a 10 mil a year guy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 pm
??

Indy

Post by Indy »

This crew for Clips at Jazz is just not good.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:22 pm
pickle wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 pm
??
Sorry I was responding to the earlier posts about Craig taking some wild shots. He’s not perfect but I guess there’s a reason why he was available to us for “cash considerations” and I love his all out hustle play.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Got it. I should have realized that.

Jae is making 9, right? He isn't nearly as impactful, but could be later in his career.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Crowder is I believe slightly over 30 mil over 3 years. Basically the full MLE. I think Craig’s shot IQ is slightly lower than Crowder and his defense isn’t at lock down level, but I love his toughness and hustle. He had that one blocked shot in the first quarter at the end of quarter to force a shot clock violation, and he always rebounds out of his area. If he were to clean up some of those offensive issues and maintains or slightly improves his 3 point shot with added volume, he would be just as valuable as Crowder imho.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Is Dwayne Wade in the sunken place?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Torrey Craig is an absolute steal for what we gave up to get him and he is exactly the type of player a championship team has as a rotational 7th/8th man. That said, I wouldn’t pay to keep him unless he is willing to take what Carter had absolutely no business getting. The last few spots on our rotation will likely be a revolving door as we focus on retaining and bolstering our front end.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I think one thing is clear- if the Suns have any serious intention of keeping Payne, Craig, or improving their rotation heading into the next season- we’ll have to flip Saric and Carter into more valuable (cheaper) pieces for us.

pickle

Post by pickle »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:55 pm
I think one thing is clear- if the Suns have any serious intention of keeping Payne, Craig, or improving their rotation heading into the next season- we’ll have to flip Saric and Carter into more valuable (cheaper) pieces for us.
Fully agreed. I don't think Craig in his current form will fetch more than Carter, and I hope we can sign him to the type of deal that Hinkie gave Covington back in the day -- longer incentive laden deal with team options to allow us to control his rights for several years, in order to have some stability and cheap production. I realize as I'm typing this that this is very unfair for the players and that they deserve whatever they can get on the open market, but in this case, I'm a Suns fan and hope that we can retain him. If he plays with high bball-IQ guys like CP3/Bridges/Cam Johnson, maybe some of that will rub off on him and he will start to outperform his contract in later years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:41 pm
Is Dwayne Wade in the sunken place?
Yeah, are they paying him? What’s up with Spider Mitchell having an on court mentor during a playoff game?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, the Jazz escaped with a 3 point victory in game 1 of their series with the Clips. IF we are able to get out of the second round, who would you rather play? The Clippers and we have home court advantage? Or the Jazz and we don’t?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am more afraid of the Clippers than the Jazz. I know I keep selling the Jazz short in my head all year and they keep winning but, I just think we match up better against them. Then again I hate LA (Louisiana) and would love to beat both L.A. teams in the same playoffs. That would make me happy and L.A . sad, which makes me even happier.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:28 am
I am more afraid of the Clippers than the Jazz. I know I keep selling the Jazz short in my head all year and they keep winning but, I just think we match up better against them. Then again I hate LA (Louisiana) and would love to beat both L.A. teams in the same playoffs. That would make me happy and L.A . sad, which makes me even happier.
We already did that in 2006. I would rather not risk it this year. We swept the Jazz and match up better with them, although I do wish we had home court advantage.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm not scared of the Clips and think we have the bodies to shut down Kawhi and PG. Who else do they really have? Morris? Jackson? Kennard? Ibaka?

I think the Jazz are tougher offensively with Mitchell, Ingles, Bojan, Clarkson, and Conley with Gobert in the middle but nothing we shouldn't be able to handle.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I might not be getting the full context of y'all Wade discussion but he's a part owner, saw him addressing the issue with the Morant family last series.
So he could be front row cheering or advising as he wishes unless like I said I missing something else y'all referencing
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 pm
Torrey Craig is an absolute steal for what we gave up to get him and he is exactly the type of player a championship team has as a rotational 7th/8th man. That said, I wouldn’t pay to keep him unless he is willing to take what Carter had absolutely no business getting. The last few spots on our rotation will likely be a revolving door as we focus on retaining and bolstering our front end.
I don't think he's a 7th or 8th man. I think he's perfect as a 9th-10th energy/hustle guy. I view him as a Jevon Carter type in a 3/4 body - more effective in less minutes when he can play balls to the wall and make a few energy/defensive plays. More than that and the warts start to really show. I'd love to have him back at the right price but it'll be tough. I still don't think Carter was overpaid because you need good guys in the lockerroom and on the bench who can play in a pinch. We used to change the roster every year in the 7SOL era and i thought it affected some of those seasons. I think Monty and Jones understand the value of those guys - specifically Carter and Frank - who know they may not be rotational guys but come to work everyday and legitimately get up for the teammates during games. I'm hoping guys like Cam Payne and Craig know a good thing when they see it and work to stay in Phoenix rather than jump somewhere else for money, but that's me talking as a fan. Easy for me to tell them to take less money here than a larger contract elsewhere.

Unfortunately, Dario, Jae and Jevon are the most moveable contracts so we'll have to see if any of them are moved if we can/need to add another piece.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 am
So, the Jazz escaped with a 3 point victory in game 1 of their series with the Clips. IF we are able to get out of the second round, who would you rather play? The Clippers and we have home court advantage? Or the Jazz and we don’t?
This is a good question. I think I'd rather face the Jazz, but it's close. Gobert is a really bad matchup for Ayton, which worries me. But I think the rest of our roster can beat theirs easily. They have a bunch of old fat white boys like Ingles who they depend on, and we can shut them down. Mitchell is a great scorer but we can sick Bridges on him.

The Clips scare me more. They have both Kawhi and PG to stop; that's tough for us because we don't have two clones of Bridges to throw out there for 48 minutes. And the Clips have the best 3-point shooting in the league. We had trouble against them during the regular season.

But at the end of the day I believe we could beat either the Jazz or the Clips, so if we're lucky enough to beat Denver, bring it on.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:33 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 am
This is a good question. I think I'd rather face the Jazz, but it's close. Gobert is a really bad matchup for Ayton, which worries me.
In the last two games, Ayton no longer played scared/in awe of Gobert, and basically outplayed him.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.