Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Draft

Post by Indy »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:04 am
Screw the draft, Suns have enough young players. It's about more size PF/C. That's it !

That needs to come via free agency.
And what about in 1-2 seasons when we can't afford to keep our core? I don't think we should be ignoring the draft in hopes Mikal and DA and CJ will want to take less money to stay here.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We're going to need depth in the backcourt if Payne, Moore and Gallo all leave. Can't pass on young, cheap talent coming in the back end of the 1st. Can usually get some older college players who may be more impactful than your typical lotto picks.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Okay, so "'draft" some size. Suns are good on guards, need some bigs.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:04 am
Screw the draft, Suns have enough young players. It's about more size PF/C. That's it !

That needs to come via free agency.
This! And resign Payne.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

After watching us squander the future for the sake of the present throughout the SSOL Nash years, I'll never be dismissive about the draft again. I don't care if our pick is 1st or 30th, either way it's a huge opportunity for us to give our team talent and assets for the future. And if James Jones is as savvy as he thinks he is, he'll hit on some of these late picks and find guys who can grow to become rotation players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:48 pm
After watching us squander the future for the sake of the present throughout the SSOL Nash years, I'll never be dismissive about the draft again. I don't care if our pick is 1st or 30th, either way it's a huge opportunity for us to give our team talent and assets for the future. And if James Jones is as savvy as he thinks he is, he'll hit on some of these late picks and find guys who can grow to become rotation players.
How many starters on the NBA Champion Bucks were drafted in the lottery? Just Brook, right?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:51 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
How many starters on the NBA Champion Bucks were drafted in the lottery? Just Brook, right?
Wasn't Giannis a lottery pick?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:44 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:51 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wasn't Giannis a lottery pick?
No. He was picked 15 and the lottery ends at 14.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

So...what's the take on Jalen? Concensus?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:09 pm
I’m waiting to evaluate next season. I also wouldn’t hesitate to move him for the right piece.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:09 pm
Imo, the jury is still out on him, but he still looks yrs away and I have my doubts that he builds the size and muscle needed to be an effective pf/c in this league. Not the same player at all, but feels like an Earl Clark situation to me.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Who’s been following the draft? I got almost zero idea who to look at…anyone got some guys they’d be interested in?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I certainly haven’t been following it much at all, but the players I like are Sharife Cooper, Neemias Queta, and Day'Ron Sharpe. But I'm sure none of them will be the pick.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It seems like a fools errand to spend time doing prep on a bunch of potential picks with our draft slot and especially with our GM.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

This Jericho Sims looks like a guy JJ would draft.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Was just watching and reading his stuff last night and put him on my list. His strengths are everything we need, 4yr player, has the athleticism and aggression DA lacks. Could be perfect for the backup 5 spot.

Also like Jared Butler but he might start to rise now that he's been medically cleared. He was flagged for a heart issue so started dropping in mocks. Baylor guy, 3 level scorer, could be a possible replacement for Cam Payne as that combo guard. Not as quick or athletic but shiftier and can pull from just about anywhere and off the dribble.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is a big draft for James Jones. He has had one draft where he surprised everyone and found a great 3-and-D forward in Cam Johnson. And he has one draft where he may have picked a bust in Jalen Smith. I know our pick is very late in the first round, but if Jones swings and misses on an odd selection again, folks may start to say that he isn't very good at the draft.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think anyone talks bad about picks make in the late 20s. That is when everyone is just talking about taking a flyer, or finding a player to fit a niche role on a good team.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This draft will probably be inconsequential for our future. FA is more important.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:44 am
This draft will probably be inconsequential for our future. FA is more important.
30% of the starters in the NBA Finals this year were 2nd round picks. We shouldn't discount it so quickly. That was exactly what we did in 2004-05 and beyond and it cost us many good players that could have helped prevent the previous 10 years of shitty Suns basketball.