Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Vladimir_Taltos

Draft

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

This is going to come up at some point ..how many think we'd be in better straights if we'd drafted Halibuton? I love what in general they've done...but still feel we would have been better off with Halibuton backing Paul instead of have our 1st rounder being on the bench...sigh.

ShelC

Re: Draft

Post by ShelC »

Nice thread VT! Love the draft but right now...we have unfinished bizness

Vladimir_Taltos

Agreed ..pleasantly optimistic...on pins and needles over the outcome ..😏

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:34 am
This is going to come up at some point ..how many think we'd be in better straights if we'd drafted Halibuton? I love what in general they've done...but still feel we would have been better off with Halibuton backing Paul instead of have our 1st rounder being on the bench...sigh.
I don’t care if he would have been better. 20/20 hindsight is useless. We aren’t in that horrible of shape right now…

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I remember when this subject used to be a big deal this time of year for Suns fans.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 am
I remember when this subject used to be a big deal this time of year for Suns fans.
Ya, haven’t really even thought about it…there’s 2 guys I know of that I’d be interested in, but not sure they’d even be there. Butler from Baylor and Duarte from Oregon.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

My educated "gut" feeling is that the Suns will take a look at Trey Murphy III. Seems like a total James Jones guy.

* Possibly the best shooter in the draft
* 6-9, 7-1 wing span
* Scouting report calls him a "great kid" with a "good head on his shoulders." Coachable. Comes from a winning program
* Common comp is Mikal Bridges
* Long, Athletic enough to to guard the 2/3/4 on the perimeter
* Huge growth spurt, spent HS as a primary ball handler, so his handles are above average for a 6-9 guy
* Low turnovers guy
* Could help fill a need for back up at three positions (2/3/4), reduce the load on Bridges
* Strikes me as a lot like Cam Johnson, but perhaps a bit more fleet of foot.

Downsides:

* Junior (which isn't a negative to James Jones)
* MIGHT not be there at 29. (But it's possible)
* Not much of a rebounder, shot blocker, or distributor
* Only average 11.3 ppg Junior year. Primarily a catch and shoot guy. (But he can dunk)
* Limited upside beyond being another Cam or Mikal, but that's pretty effing good. But, he's never going to be a star
* Defensive metrics say he's average at best on defense, even if the eye test says he's ok. (This is something you can work on, though)
* The bad comp is Darius Miller

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ll remember to look them up after we win the finals :)

When is the draft this year anyways?

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:37 am
How about a power forward. We need another guard and wing?

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

How about we look at a backup big because Stix was a bad pic. .... Dreams of Halliburton still in my mind and haunt me to this day when I see Stix

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just pick the best prospect. We don’t need to draft for need. That’s what free agency is for. At 29, you just pick the best talent.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Agreed James just seems to lean towards perimeter players. He needs someone to help keep him in check.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Find the older players who can shoot and played at a school in a major conference, preferably a 'Blue Blood'.

James Jones has a type and it's hard to argue against his strategy for the most part.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I've seen the Suns tied to Sharpe by at least two mocks, a 6'11 center who apparently has a good motor.

I think at 29 you won't have any clear BPA, as ranking prospects here will be mostly a crap shoot, so we could try to draft for need...

But yes we could also try to fill the backup 4/5 holes through free agency.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I like Isaiah Mobley a lot if they decide to go with a big guy, but I'll be surprised if the falls far enough for the Suns to draft him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

BAMF wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:10 pm
How about we look at a backup big because Stix was a bad pic. .... Dreams of Halliburton still in my mind and haunt me to this day when I see Stix
I’m not sold on him being a bad pick yet. He didn’t play much and that maybe means he sucks or just wasn’t ready for prime time yet. I hope he hits the weights though. Haven’t rendered final judgement yet.

Vladimir_Taltos

Well... :( ...here we are again.

The question has to be asked...does CP3 have the gas for another season...or do we need to make some aggressive move at point? What?

If no...or other also needed...what's next?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:02 pm
Well... :( ...here we are again.

The question has to be asked...does CP3 have the gas for another season...or do we need to make some aggressive move at point? What?

If no...or other also needed...what's next?
Today or tomorrow we will hear about the injury to Paul's hand/wrist. For him to lose his handles, there has to be something wrong. I am not too worried about his gas, but I am worried about his injury history.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Screw the draft, Suns have enough young players. It's about more size PF/C. That's it !

That needs to come via free agency.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !