James Jones Named 2021 Executive of the Year

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

James Jones Named 2021 Executive of the Year

Post by ShelC »

Nodack

Re: James Jones Named 2021 Executive of the Year

Post by Nodack »

Totally deserved!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:58 pm
Totally deserved!
Love the new avatar! :D
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Has the media ever been so wrong about the moves someone has made? He’s been eviscerated for many of the things he’s done and it ended with an EOTY award and the suns in the WCF and still going.

To be fair, he did lose in the value sense on a few moves. Just shows that the bigger picture is what’s important. Heck of a job from James!

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:46 pm
Has the media ever been so wrong about the moves someone has made? He’s been eviscerated for many of the things he’s done and it ended with an EOTY award and the suns in the WCF and still going.

To be fair, he did lose in the value sense on a few moves. Just shows that the bigger picture is what’s important. Heck of a job from James!
At least TJ Warren was a “beast” in the bubble. We all knew he couldn’t do it for a full season. Good riddance.

James Jones deserves to be EOTY. Job well done.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

His most questionable move at the moment is drafting Jalen Smith, and a big part of Smith's disappointment this season is COVID related. There's still a chance he turns into a reliable rotation player.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:33 pm
His most questionable move at the moment is drafting Jalen Smith, and a big part of Smith's disappointment this season is COVID related. There's still a chance he turns into a reliable rotation player.
Yes, I think the only moves I can look back on and call mistakes are Jalen over Haliburton(I’m comfortable saying it’s a mistake even if it’s still incomplete) and the Josh Jackson dump. Dumping Jackson was absolutely the right move, but maybe should have hung onto Melton.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:08 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Yes, I think the only moves I can look back on and call mistakes are Jalen over Haliburton(I’m comfortable saying it’s a mistake even if it’s still incomplete) and the Josh Jackson dump. Dumping Jackson was absolutely the right move, but maybe should have hung onto Melton.
Sure. But Melton is only marginally better than Jevon. And Payne has been a whole lot better than both. I’m still holding out hope for Jalen. Other than Haliburton, there isn’t anyone that has been a killer drafted after. It’s not like he picked Bender right before Jamal Murray or Josh Jackson before Fox. No GM is going to get the draft perfect, but I’d rather have some solid picks than absolute blunders.

Split T

Post by Split T »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:19 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sure. But Melton is only marginally better than Jevon. And Payne has been a whole lot better than both. I’m still holding out hope for Jalen. Other than Haliburton, there isn’t anyone that has been a killer drafted after. It’s not like he picked Bender right before Jamal Murray or Josh Jackson before Fox. No GM is going to get the draft perfect, but I’d rather have some solid picks than absolute blunders.
Ya didn’t really mean it as a slight. The media panned almost every single move he made…to have 90% of those turn out to be good is kinda crazy

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:19 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I'm holding out hope for Smith, too. But it's not based on any on-court evidence from this year. I think a lot of the excuses made for him were just that.

He seems to have the work ethic to become something, so that's good. But right now it's not just Haliburton. There were many rookies, and rookie bigs, who looked a lot better than Jalen.

Either way, that move takes the James Jones package to a B+ at worst and he's a deserving winner of the EOTY.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Let me amend what I wrote above. Judging by results and not process, he gets an easy A. And maybe that's the way we should be looking at it.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I know I’m getting a little pedantic but I would say his mistaken is not as much drafting smith as it is passing on Haliburton.