Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Los Angeles Clippers @ Phoenix Suns Game II Tuesday June 22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Los Angeles Clippers @ Phoenix Suns Game II Tuesday June 22

Post by Nodack »

Game Day Playoff Edition — WCF, Game II - Los Angeles Clippers @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 6/22/2021

Time: Tuesday, June 22, 6 pm AZ (9 pm ET)
Place: Phoenix Suns Arena, Phoenix, Az
TV: ESPN

Can the Suns win 9 in a row in the playoffs and possibly without CP3 in the lineup again? Polly and Maizena say yes, they can.

GO SUNS!!!

Dis • cuss

Nodack

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Los Angeles Clippers @ Phoenix Suns Game II Tuesday June 22

Post by Nodack »

As per FiveThirtyEight, Phoenix Suns have 71% chances of beating the Clippers while the win probability of Clippers for this game stands at mere 21%."

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... id=rrpromo

Kawhi Leonard Ruled Out for Clippers vs. Suns Game 2 with Knee Injury
https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles ... 2_35210846
Last edited by Nodack on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Los Angeles Clippers @ Phoenix Suns Game II Tuesday June 22

Post by Superbone »

Let’s continue our manifest destiny!!!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And go to where no Suns have gone before…

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Lue will have to go big in Game 2 which could make things tougher for us. If they can neutralize DA or get him off the floor, we might be in trouble. I don't know how much Cousins has left but we can't assume he can't/won't impact the game. Would Lue start him to combat DA or play him more off the bench to take advantage of Saric?

Also need to watch the PG PnR because he rattled off like three 3s before we did anything about it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kaminsky may be able to handle Cousins better than Saric. Maybe he’s our secret weapon.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I would start Ayton and pull him a little early just to see if they come in with Cousins again and then stick Ayton right back in if they do.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just let them play cousins, he’s a major negative defensively and we’ll pick him apart. He gave his best offensive punch in game 1

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cousins is small potatoes. Worry about how to contain Paul George and prevent role players from having a huge game.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm
Just let them play cousins, he’s a major negative defensively and we’ll pick him apart. He gave his best offensive punch in game 1
His best offensive punch hurt us. 11 points in 13 minutes and 4 boards. I don’t think it was a fluke. I have seen him go off many times through the years. If he is a defensive liability, maybe Ayton can posterize him a few times. I would enjoy that. We did bring in Ayton after awhile in game one to cover him and the Cousins gimmick stopped soon after.

Chess moves. I still think bringing in Ayton would stop that in it’s tracks just like it did the first game. We just waited too long last time. Lue may not try that again and come up with a new wrinkle Monty has to deal with.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I don’t know why we would be worried about the Clippers bigs neutralizing DA after the first two rounds we saw. Not like Ayton is a Giannis type offensive player who gets his numbers in ISO and gets bothered by size and fundamentals. He plays within the flow of our offense and feeds off the guards. If the Clips put Zubac or Boogie at the 5 it just opens them up more to the pick and roll game where DA can use his mobility as a weapon. It’s the wing defense against PG13 and Cam Payne stopping Reggie Jackson that worry me more.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:25 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm
His best offensive punch hurt us. 11 points in 13 minutes and 4 boards. I don’t think it was a fluke. I have seen him go off many times through the years. If he is a defensive liability, maybe Ayton can posterize him a few times. I would enjoy that. We did bring in Ayton after awhile in game one to cover him and the Cousins gimmick stopped soon after.

Chess moves. I still think bringing in Ayton would stop that in it’s tracks just like it did the first game. We just waited too long last time. Lue may not try that again and come up with a new wrinkle Monty has to deal with.
Yes but it took him 10 shots and he was a -11 for the game. He gave up more than he scored. Not worried about Cousins. I’m more worried about Morris regressing to the mean and hitting his 3s. I’m worried that PG won’t slow down in the 4th like he did in game 1.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If the Clips start any of their bigs against Ayton that would signal to me that they have scrapped the plan they used against the Jazz of no center and have now surrendered to the Suns style because they couldn’t pick on Ayton like they did the defensive player of the year Gobert.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I still think going small might be their best chance. Cousins and Zubac can’t really stop DA Anyways…maybe on the boards, but they are much worse defending the rest of our team as they can’t switch.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:07 pm
I would start Ayton and pull him a little early just to see if they come in with Cousins again and then stick Ayton right back in if they do.
That's a good point. Saric probably matches up well enough with Zubac. Maybe the adjustment is that they just swap starting roles although that's probably too big of an adjustment.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:31 pm
If the Clips start any of their bigs against Ayton that would signal to me that they have scrapped the plan they used against the Jazz of no center and have now surrendered to the Suns style because they couldn’t pick on Ayton like they did the defensive player of the year Gobert.
That pretty much already happened. Zubac was in VERY early in game 1.

"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Just defend the 3 point line better, even if PG gets a layup everytime.
They won't be much better on defense without Kawhi, but we can limit the number of 3s.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We just need to be prepared for the personnel change if it happens. They also seemed to be playing Batum at the 5 later in the game which drew DA out to the 3pt line so they might stay small just the same.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think they'll try Batum on Ayton. IIRC, Ayton had a really poor possession with Batum defending him in game one. Ayton tried to post him, couldn't decide what he wanted to do and had to put up a shot to beat the clock and Batum stuffed him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:45 pm
Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:07 pm
That's a good point. Saric probably matches up well enough with Zubac. Maybe the adjustment is that they just swap starting roles although that's probably too big of an adjustment.
Zubac is a quality post up player on offense. He might not go through Saric like Cousins did but he will give Saric trouble. But on the other side of the court if Saric can contribute a couple of threes it goes a long way to spelling Ayton.