Ayton haters' apology thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Ayton haters' apology thread

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:41 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:09 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:06 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:55 pm
Bill Simmons just made a case for Deandre Ayton as a top 20 player in the league 👀
Is there anyone in NBA media more reactionary than Bill Simmons these days?

He'll say something like that about Ayton and then if he has two sub-par games in a row he'll say something like, "I had him in the top 20 for that week."
Haha, Russillo definitely pumped the breaks on him. I am not putting Ayton top 20, but it is cool that our team is getting the over reactions now.
If he's better than Gobert, and Gobert is considered top 15 (All-NBA), then what does that make him?

He's certainly playing at an All-Star level, so that would make him at least top 24.
He is better than Gobert, but Gobert isn’t anywhere near top 15. He’s a regular season player who has gotten exposed too many times in the playoffs.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Gobert was named top defensive player of the entire nba and the Clippers made him look silly. Ayton has been much better than him in the playoffs. That’s gotta say something.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:42 am
Gobert was named top defensive player of the entire nba and the Clippers made him look silly. Ayton has been much better than him in the playoffs. That’s gotta say something.
They neutralized his defense and he’s not capable of doing anything on offense. Ayton has forced the Clippers to stay big so they can’t neutralize his defensive impact.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:51 am
Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:42 am
They neutralized his defense and he’s not capable of doing anything on offense. Ayton has forced the Clippers to stay big so they can’t neutralize his defensive impact.
In other words, we forced them to adjust to us and not the other way around. Advantage Suns.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Yeah, I really disliked the Ayton pick all the way up to about 2 months ago. Whats even crazier is that I especially hated the Ayton pick after hearing some of the Ayton interviews--all I could hear was a young Dwight Howard, and I was afraid Ayton would waste his career as a talented man-child.

I do think that Chris Paul has revolutionized Ayton's career because he was willing to get on Ayton about living up to his potential. Im sure there was a TON of criticism directed at Ayton from Paul (and Booker) earlier this season. I give Ayton all of the credit in the world for responding positively to that criticism and changing his game.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

jonh wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:08 pm
Yeah, I really disliked the Ayton pick all the way up to about 2 months ago. Whats even crazier is that I especially hated the Ayton pick after hearing some of the Ayton interviews--all I could hear was a young Dwight Howard, and I was afraid Ayton would waste his career as a talented man-child.

I do think that Chris Paul has revolutionized Ayton's career because he was willing to get on Ayton about living up to his potential. Im sure there was a TON of criticism directed at Ayton from Paul (and Booker) earlier this season. I give Ayton all of the credit in the world for responding positively to that criticism and changing his game.
Well, Howard did lead his team to an NBA Finals...
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:18 pm
jonh wrote:

He absolutely did, and there was a time I thought he would be one of the best players in the league. But I would the height and longevity of his prime was shortened by frequently complaining to the media, demanding more touches, and being an off-court distraction.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:25 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:18 pm
jonh wrote:

He absolutely did, and there was a time I thought he would be one of the best players in the league. But I would the height and longevity of his prime was shortened by frequently complaining to the media, demanding more touches, and being an off-court distraction.
Not being able to shoot didn't help either.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We got to watch Ayton mature before our eyes. He went from being a goofy immature young man to being a mans man and a father with the help of Monty, Paul, Booker and the team.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:33 pm
We got to watch Ayton mature before our eyes. He went from being a goofy immature young man to being a mans man and a father with the help of Monty, Paul, Booker and the team.
And his wife. I'm pretty sure she had something to do with him becoming a father. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yes, she had a lot to do with him becoming a father. Certainly hope Monty, Paul and Booker weren’t there.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I wish we had the Ayton that made us create this thread during last night's game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:30 am
I wish we had the Ayton that made us create this thread during last night's game.
Yep, Ayton needs to punish their small teams.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Here are Ayton's stats after he gets worn down in a series:

Game 5 vs. Lakers: 8 points, 7 rebounds
Game 6 vs. Lakers: 8 points, 3 rebounds
Game 4 vs. Nuggets: 12 points, 7 rebounds
Game 5 vs. Clippers: 10 points, 11 rebounds

That's an average of 9.5 points and 7 rebounds, while in his other 11 playoff games he has averaged 18.6 points and 13.0 rebounds.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why are you including Game 4 against the Nuggets but not against the Lakers or Clippers?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:27 am
Why are you including Game 4 against the Nuggets but not against the Lakers or Clippers?
Because that's when his production really seemed to fall off, probably a bit earlier in that series because he was guarding Jokic.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

He's pretty good. I guess.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Oatmeal wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:36 pm
Where you been?!
"Be Legendary."

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:37 pm
Oatmeal wrote:
Where you been?!
Stuck on some login screen saying I'd used too many attempts to login. :lol:

Been stuck on there for like a month.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Oatmeal wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:37 pm
Oatmeal wrote:
Where you been?!
Stuck on some login screen saying I'd used too many attempts to login. :lol:

Been stuck on there for like a month.
I've got an email address for you. See your PMs.
"Be Legendary."