Game Day, NBA Finals Edition — Game 1 — Milwaukee Bucks @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 7/6/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Game Day, NBA Finals Edition — Game 1 — Milwaukee Bucks @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 7/6/2021

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Gladiator

Re: Game Day, NBA Finals Edition — Game 1 — Milwaukee Bucks @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 7/6/2021

Post by Gladiator »

Awesome way to start the series, taking care of business. Of course, it's all about game 2 now - if the Bucks squeak out a close win in Game 2 the good vibes from this one will be gone pretty quickly.
I thought we did a good job of adjusting a few times to things that were working well for the Bucks - notably on Giannis, who looked unstoppable driving early, but didn't have those driving lanes later and we stifled him pretty well a few times when he got the ball in the post.
The Bucks will change things up a bit for Game 2, they looked better when they went smaller with more shooters. We've got to be ready for anything as we were in Game 1 - that includes a tougher whistle for us. There's been a bit of chatter about how many foul shots we got compared to Milwaukee:

Also they got a lot of offensive rebounds early but missed lay-ups, tip-ins etc. Part of that was due to our swarming d but gotta keep them off the offensive glass in the rest of the series.

But more than that, keep doing what we're doing. I love how much of a team this is, playing for each other. It's really a joy to watch.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I missed this graphic during the game.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Gladiator wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 am
There's been a bit of chatter about how many foul shots we got compared to Milwaukee:

Definitely saw this coming with the free throw disparity for most of the game.

I need to watch the game again and look more closely at some of the fouls.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:16 pm
pickle wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:14 pm
I think getting the ball to Ayton is much easier in this series vs. the Clippers one. Their foot speed isn’t great and Suns are aggressively looking for him off the pick and roll to punish the Bucks, instead of always going against Lopez with jump shots.
I agree but I also think Paul is holding back a bit right now. He usually likes to save his jump shots for the second half.
Nailed it!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:58 pm
Gotta get through this stretch with Paul and Ayton on the bench. I'll be pissed if Monty lets this lead get under 7 without using a timeout.
Just made it by the skin of his teeth!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:06 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:05 pm
This would be a gutting loss. Suns need to get their heads out their asses.
Relax...
You tell ‘em, FF!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:35 pm
Chris Paul apologizing to Ayton at the end of the game for stealing that last rebound from him hit me right in the feels.
I noticed it right away at the game. It was pretty funny actually. Paul was imploring the scorers table to give Ayton the rebound.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:52 pm
I liked how Booker was visibly animated when CP3 took that last rebound from Ayton.
Now that I missed. I will have to go back and see that.
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

What a nice win. Suns showed they are the better team and put up great individual numbers too.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I just listened to DAs post game press conference. Very impressed. He doesn’t sound like a kid that just happy to be there like he did 2 years ago. He sounds like a veteran that studies the game and takes it in. He uses good basketball terminology and acts like a player now.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:32 am
Gladiator wrote:
There's been a bit of chatter about how many foul shots we got compared to Milwaukee:

I expect in game 2 it won’t be so much us not getting the same calls (though that might happen) but more the Bucks going to the line a bit more. My worst fear is Ayton foul trouble, though he’s avoided that brilliantly so far in the playoffs. We are really thin in the big man department if Saric is out (it didn’t look good when he went down, to my untrained eye)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Great performance last night. Said in an earlier post, it kind of just felt like a regular season game. Neither team seemed rattled or taken in by the moment, the Suns played with their usual steadiness and were methodical throughout. Monty uses the word poise all the time and it's just impressive to see so many young players and 1st timers in the playoffs treat these games like any other game. Aside from Payne's heat check shots and Crowder's wild shots to start the 2nd half, we really don't get caught up with wild play or reacting poorly to another team's run. We just stay focused and run our stuff. Even Book's gotten a lot better at not overreacting to bad/non calls and taking those wild shots at the rim.

The Crowder +18 stat says it all about his game. He was way off and totally out of sync offensively, but was hugely impactful all night. As others have noted, if he hits even 2 of those shots, the game is that much more of a blowout.

Really good to see Mikal get his offense back on track. Cam Johnson has quietly been our most consistent wing player I think. DA played his ass off again with not much rest due to Saric's injury. We'll need him to keep it going. Payne gave us a nice boost off the bench as well. Book and CP are just rolling and Book's defense has become hugely underrated at this point.

The Bucks will get more calls in Game 2 I imagine. Giannis looked like Giannis but we did a good enough job on him. Middleton got his offense off and Brook and Jrue had their moments but in general, they just don't seem to have reliable offense they can fall back on. It's Giannis bully-ball or jumpers from Jrue, Middleton, and Brook. I think we can live with that so long as PJ, Forbes and Connaughton don't get theirs.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Gladiator wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:10 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:32 am
Gladiator wrote:

I expect in game 2 it won’t be so much us not getting the same calls (though that might happen) but more the Bucks going to the line a bit more. My worst fear is Ayton foul trouble, though he’s avoided that brilliantly so far in the playoffs. We are really thin in the big man department if Saric is out (it didn’t look good when he went down, to my untrained eye)
The second half was nearly even 12 to 14, but the first half was a bit crazy (4 to 12). We were just the aggressor in the 1st. And Giannis, as good as he looked, wasn't getting down hill to the hoop. That is when he gets his FTAs.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cam Johnson's defense last night was fantastic. That is something I never expected to see from him.

And for a guy that was supposed to be a huge injury risk coming out of college, we just haven't seen it.

pickle

Post by pickle »

One thing that impressed me was how Mikal guided that delayed alley oop pass from Booker in the rim early in the game. That was incredible hand eye coordination.

I think the officiating was definitely favorable in this game but we also forced the action a fair bit. Reasonably lucky that the refs let us handle Giannis with some physicality. If they call his off arm pushes a bit more I wouldn’t even mind if they called fouls on his defenders a bit closer.

Let’s see how things go in this next game. Hopefully Craig can make a couple of shots and Crowder eventually finds his shot. In terms of shooting percentage I think CP3 is extra hot right now. Instead of him shifting in the other direction for the law of averages I’d rather for our other players to step up and for CP3 to not have to shoot as much to begin with.

jonh

Post by jonh »

It was amazing to see the Suns get calls last night, and I can appreciate the Bucks fans feeling like there were some missed calls. The Suns just felt like the better team throughout Game 1. Ill be interested to see how lolng Giannis plays in Game 2, and if he can stay agressive the whole game (it really felt like he became much more passive after the first quarter).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Outside of Giannis, the Bucks don’t really have a lot of foul drawers. Middleton is more of a finesse scorer…also it is probably noteworthy that they don’t really have any floppers. Paul, Booker, and Crowder definitely flop more than any of their guys.