SUNS NEWS: 2021 FINALS EDITION SUNS vs BUCKS

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

SUNS NEWS: 2021 FINALS EDITION SUNS vs BUCKS

Post by ShelC »

Dedicated NBA Finals News thread for any and all Suns-Bucks news related posts. Didn't want anything getting lost in the mix of the Suns Playoffs News thread.

Mori Chu

Re: SUNS NEWS: 2021 FINALS EDITION SUNS vs BUCKS

Post by Mori Chu »

I posted this in the Game 1 Game Day thread, but it may be more of a series-wide topic, so I'll cross-post it here.

Am I crazy for being completely confident that we are going to beat the Bucks in this series? I just look at their team and feel strongly that we are better.

PG - Jrue vs CP3 - Point God is better, no contest.
SG - Connaughton vs Booker - LMAO c'mon.
SF - Middleton vs Bridges - Middleton is the much better offensive player, but Bridges is an all-NBA worthy defender and will slow him down.
PF - Tucker vs Crowder - Our rugged veteran 3&D PF is younger and shooting much better than theirs.
C - Lopez vs Ayton - Ayton will shut down any Lopez inside game and can also somewhat bother his outside shooting as needed.

Now, sure, if you put Giannis in the lineup Milwaukee gets much better. But you just put Ayton on Giannis and that will limit him about as well as you can hope for. There's our "Giannis stopper," or as close as you can get to having one. He's shot quite poorly vs Ayton in recent regular season matchups.

Bench - Payne/Johnson/Saric/Craig vs Portis/Teague/Forbes/T.Antetokounmpo - I think we win the bench battle easily. Bucks have pretty poor depth outside of their top 5-6 guys. We go 8-9 deep with guys you can actually play in a playoff game.

I really feel like this is a 4 or 5 game series. Am I looking at it wrong? Am I overconfident?

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Suns in 6
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:59 am
I posted this in the Game 1 Game Day thread, but it may be more of a series-wide topic, so I'll cross-post it here.

Am I crazy for being completely confident that we are going to beat the Bucks in this series? I just look at their team and feel strongly that we are better.

SF - Middleton vs Bridges - Middleton is the much better offensive player, but Bridges is an all-NBA worthy defender and will slow him down.
PF - Tucker vs Crowder - Our rugged veteran 3&D PF is younger and shooting much better than theirs.
C - Lopez vs Ayton - Ayton will shut down any Lopez inside game and can also somewhat bother his outside shooting as needed.

Now, sure, if you put Giannis in the lineup Milwaukee gets much better. But you just put Ayton on Giannis and that will limit him about as well as you can hope for. There's our "Giannis stopper," or as close as you can get to having one. He's shot quite poorly vs Ayton in recent regular season matchups.

Bench - Payne/Johnson/Saric/Craig vs Portis/Teague/Forbes/T.Antetokounmpo - I think we win the bench battle easily. Bucks have pretty poor depth outside of their top 5-6 guys. We go 8-9 deep with guys you can actually play in a playoff game.

I really feel like this is a 4 or 5 game series. Am I looking at it wrong? Am I overconfident?
It's going to be a tough series I think assuming Giannis is close to being healthy. The Bucks are good defensively, maybe more so individually than collectively. Without Giannis they started Middleton in the backcourt and Tucker at the 3, with Portis at the 4. If Giannis plays, Portis goes back to the bench. Even so, their perimeter defense is nothing to sneeze at. Jrue may be the best on-ball defender in the league who will see time on CP and Book. Middleton and PJ will also take turns on Book. I'm interested to see how we defend the frontcourt with Lopez out at the 3pt line, but we've done it before.

I'm not overly worried about their bench but Portis is playing very well. Forbes and PC can get hot but I like our depth better with CP, CJ, TC and Dario.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We won’t lose a game to them that Giannis doesn’t play…So it could be over quick if he can’t go. I honestly want him to play. I don’t really care that much, but it would be nice to say we beat them at full strength.

Defensively, suns and bucks have been the 2 best teams in the playoffs. Though I think the Clippers ability to play any defensive scheme gave us more problems than Milwaukee will.

I feel pretty good about what we can do to them defensively. I imagine we’ll start out with Crowder on Giannis, but we’ll see Ayton get that responsibility at times too. I feel like both can do a decent job of limiting him. Bridges will be the primary assignment on Middleton, but being able to throw Crowder, Craig, and Johnson on him can give him a few different looks.

I imagine Booker will defend Jrue, which I feel ok about. Jrue isn’t a super athlete or bigger than Book, so I think Book will be ok.

Defensively for them, Jrue can only guard one of Paul and Booker…maybe they throw Middleton on the other, but I’m expecting Connaughton. The Bucks want to drop with López and I think we can pick apart a Connaughton/Lopez drop scheme.

They also play a few guys like Forbes and Portis that are great offensive players, but poor defensively. Think getting Forbes matched up on Payne with Portis as his rim protection could be a disaster for Milwaukee.

I feel pretty good about suns in less than 7.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

I don't worry about their skill over us, I worry about their size over us.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:11 am
We won’t lose a game to them that Giannis doesn’t play…So it could be over quick if he can’t go. I honestly want him to play. I don’t really care that much, but it would be nice to say we beat them at full strength.

Defensively, suns and bucks have been the 2 best teams in the playoffs. Though I think the Clippers ability to play any defensive scheme gave us more problems than Milwaukee will.

I feel pretty good about what we can do to them defensively. I imagine we’ll start out with Crowder on Giannis, but we’ll see Ayton get that responsibility at times too. I feel like both can do a decent job of limiting him. Bridges will be the primary assignment on Middleton, but being able to throw Crowder, Craig, and Johnson on him can give him a few different looks.

I imagine Booker will defend Jrue, which I feel ok about. Jrue isn’t a super athlete or bigger than Book, so I think Book will be ok.

Defensively for them, Jrue can only guard one of Paul and Booker…maybe they throw Middleton on the other, but I’m expecting Connaughton. The Bucks want to drop with López and I think we can pick apart a Connaughton/Lopez drop scheme.

They also play a few guys like Forbes and Portis that are great offensive players, but poor defensively. Think getting Forbes matched up on Payne with Portis as his rim protection could be a disaster for Milwaukee.

They'll be putting Tucker on Booker and Jrue on CP3. It'll be on Booker to force them out of that game plan and free up CP3. After the last 2 series, theres no way CP3 isn't the one getting double teamed.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:19 am
Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:11 am

They'll be putting Tucker on Booker and Jrue on CP3. It'll be on Booker to force them out of that game plan and free up CP3. After the last 2 series, theres no way CP3 isn't the one getting double teamed.
I guess I was thinking Connaughton had been starting, but you’re right, it’s Tucker. I’m actually not all that worried about PJ defending Book. Book is faster and can beat him off the dribble. He won’t be able to bully Tucker like he could Connaughton though. Bucks are quite big in their starting lineup.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:55 am
So weird. I always figured it was the team you were actively playing for when the championship is won. Kind of weak that a guy can get a ring simply by playing on one team that wins it for the first part of the year, even if they are traded.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

From what I have seen in these playoffs, if Paul and Booker are healthy and on their game, it’s real tough to beat the Suns. They dominate the middle.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:59 am

Yes, you are overconfident as am I. Let's just start by winning these two at home and go from there. Giannis was said to be ready to play in a game 7 so I assume he's playing Game 1. What percentage he's at? Anybody's guess. I'm going to assume 100% until I hear or see otherwise.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Book has plenty of experience of being guarded by Tucker. Book knows his tricks and tendencies. But it will be a good match up of offense versus defense.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:27 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:55 am
So weird. I always figured it was the team you were actively playing for when the championship is won. Kind of weak that a guy can get a ring simply by playing on one team that wins it for the first part of the year, even if they are traded.
I read that Jones will get a ring if we win. You know, the center that never did much for us and we let his 10 day contract expire early in the season.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, they have Tucker who used to be a Sun and we have Craig who used to be a Buck. This will be interesting to see how it develops. The Suns let Tucker go when we were bad and did him a favor. I think Craig has a much bigger revenge factor due to the Bucks letting him go for cash considerations in order to pick up Tucker.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:17 pm
So, they have Tucker who used to be a Sun and we have Craig who used to be a Buck. This will be interesting to see how it develops. The Suns let Tucker go when we were bad and did him a favor. I think Craig has a much bigger revenge factor due to the Bucks letting him go for cash considerations in order to pick up Tucker.
Last time we played a former team of Craig, it went very well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:19 pm
Superbone wrote:
Let's hope for a repeat! Can you imagine a dominant 4 game Finals sweep for our Suns?! I can. (But not counting on it. I could also see a grueling 7 game series depending on Giannis' health. I mean we won 2 games by 1 point each this season against them. Seems pretty evenly matched.)
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:29 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:19 pm
Superbone wrote:
Let's hope for a repeat! Can you imagine a dominant 4 game Finals sweep for our Suns?! I can. (But not counting on it. I could also see a grueling 7 game series depending on Giannis' health. I mean we won 2 games by 1 point each this season against them. Seems pretty evenly matched.)
If it was a dominant 4 game sweep and Giannis doesn't play or is very limited, it will be a discredited championship by many. I can already hear the talking heads now.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I'm flying in from the East Coast to attend Game 2.

Most of the talking-head "experts" are picking the Bucks, but the modeling and simulation is favoring the Suns.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wormwood wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:21 pm
I'm flying in from the East Coast to attend Game 2.

Most of the talking-head "experts" are picking the Bucks, but the modeling and simulation is favoring the Suns.
And the bettors are siding with the models.