Gameday NBA Finals Edition - Game 3 - Your Phoenix Suns @ Milwaukee Bucks, Sunday 7/11/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Gameday NBA Finals Edition - Game 3 - Your Phoenix Suns @ Milwaukee Bucks, Sunday 7/11/2021

Post by Mori Chu »

Cam Payne's play has disappointed me throughout the Finals. I feel like he's lost all his court vision and just looks to chuck up shots or attack the basket and put up ill-advised layups. He really disrupts the flow of our offense when he's out there because he is such a black hole. Sometimes his offense is just what we need, but other times he's taking a contested 3 when he has a man open, or forcing a layup that gets blocked because two big men are right there in front of him. It's just bad decision-making. I really wish he'd just keep his head up and look to initiate offense and set up others first, and go to his own offense only as a secondary measure. My suspicion is that having a couple of 20+ point games and getting some attention and praise went to his head a little bit.

virtual9mm

Re: Gameday NBA Finals Edition - Game 3 - Your Phoenix Suns @ Milwaukee Bucks, Sunday 7/11/2021

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:50 am
Cam Payne's play has disappointed me throughout the Finals. I feel like he's lost all his court vision and just looks to chuck up shots or attack the basket and put up ill-advised layups. He really disrupts the flow of our offense when he's out there because he is such a black hole. Sometimes his offense is just what we need, but other times he's taking a contested 3 when he has a man open, or forcing a layup that gets blocked because two big men are right there in front of him. It's just bad decision-making. I really wish he'd just keep his head up and look to initiate offense and set up others first, and go to his own offense only as a secondary measure. My suspicion is that having a couple of 20+ point games and getting some attention and praise went to his head a little bit.
I believe that the Suns in general have started to believe their hype just a bit. Cam's a good example of this, perhaps Booker to some degree as well. They need to stop being so happy on the farm and go back to playing with desperation together.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think CP15's struggles are more about the fact that there is now a lot of tape on him. His layups almost all look the same (with that inside out move and then left hander). Once you see it enough, you know where the ball is going to be to get up and block it or make it hard on him. And I think everyone remembers in the moment now that he is a lefty.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:52 pm
We absolutely cannot play Frank anymore. While the game mattered be was -13 in 5 minutes and that doesn’t fully capture everything. He came in and completely flipped momentum. Bucks continued their huge runs even after we took him out.

I checked, we brought Frank in at 6:45 left in the 2nd and Milwaukee outscored is 21-7 the rest of the way. We then brought him in with 2:47 left in the 3rd and Milwaukee went on a 13-0 run to close the 3rd. So 34-7 in the minutes Frank played and immediately after he was taken out.
I don't think this is accurate. I mean, yeah, he is bad and it sucks that he saw any time on the court. But according to bb-ref, he was a -7 in his 2Q minutes and -6 in his 3Q minutes.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 10MIL.html

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:48 am
Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:52 pm
We absolutely cannot play Frank anymore. While the game mattered be was -13 in 5 minutes and that doesn’t fully capture everything. He came in and completely flipped momentum. Bucks continued their huge runs even after we took him out.

I checked, we brought Frank in at 6:45 left in the 2nd and Milwaukee outscored is 21-7 the rest of the way. We then brought him in with 2:47 left in the 3rd and Milwaukee went on a 13-0 run to close the 3rd. So 34-7 in the minutes Frank played and immediately after he was taken out.
I don't think this is accurate. I mean, yeah, he is bad and it sucks that he saw any time on the court. But according to bb-ref, he was a -7 in his 2Q minutes and -6 in his 3Q minutes.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 10MIL.html
Yes, he was -13 in his minutes, but the Bucks runs continued after we took him out. I know it’s not fair to blame Frank for minutes he didn’t play, but it helps me feel better, haha. His minutes were awful and it killed the flow of our team that took time for us to recover even after taking him out.

Our small ball lineup got hurt on the glass, but Frank didn’t seem to help either there. I’d cut the rotation down to 8(Starters, Cams, and Craig) Hopefully Ayton can play 42-45 minutes on Wednesday.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Don't know when this was
Wish I did, it could be anytime (in first 3 quarters) because of how we played....

Just would love to see what was the response after this timeout

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:42 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:50 am
I believe that the Suns in general have started to believe their hype just a bit. Cam's a good example of this, perhaps Booker to some degree as well. They need to stop being so happy on the farm and go back to playing with desperation together.
One three he took in the first half really bothered me. Crowder started off hot and was wide open but Payne looked him off and bricked a three himself.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I hope DA is watching Giannis closely. There's no reason he couldn't do some of those things. Like barrelling into the lane and getting fouls. Only problem is that he wouldn't get Giannis' special treatment. I just wish he had a little of Giannis' aggressiveness.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:04 am
Don't know when this was
Wish I did, it could be anytime (in first 3 quarters) because of how we played....

9:14 left in the 4th.

15 seconds later Ayton picks up another foul on Brook and leaves the game. He doesn't return.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:59 am
I know the yung fellas be on social media heavy and might not even try saying that they don't hear all the noise like other players do but this is interesting
This is literally only couple hours after the game and Mikal finds it necessary to say this....

Not sure if it's a good thing or bad. Monty even said Game Film ASAP although he maybe didn't mean literally or well for the coaches I guess. I would just assume maybe the next day is when the guys would hear some of the chatter cause they shut out everything after the game but like I said, grabbing your phone/ immediately checking the timeline is the generation
This isn’t actually Mikal’s Twitter. Just a fan.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:26 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Don't know when this was

Yikes....
Ok things got worst

15 seconds later Ayton picks up another foul on Brook and leaves the game. He doesn't return.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:48 am
I think CP15's struggles are more about the fact that there is now a lot of tape on him.
At first I read this as him being taped up and I was like, "Wait Cam Payne is injured?" :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:32 am
What’s with the 5 fouls interviewer asking the same question to every single person?! How about a little creativity, dude.
A lot of them do that, because they want to write a story with a certain angle. Sometimes they are fishing for specific quotes even. But yeah it's annoying.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:28 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:59 am
I know the yung fellas be on social media heavy and might not even try saying that they don't hear all the noise like other players do but this is interesting
This is literally only couple hours after the game and Mikal finds it necessary to say this....

Not sure if it's a good thing or bad. Monty even said Game Film ASAP although he maybe didn't mean literally or well for the coaches I guess. I would just assume maybe the next day is when the guys would hear some of the chatter cause they shut out everything after the game but like I said, grabbing your phone/ immediately checking the timeline is the generation
This isn’t actually Mikal’s Twitter. Just a fan.
Oh smh
Silly me
Makes more sense now

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

It honestly really can't mean much in the grand scheme of things but I'm also on the Book outfit takes smh lol

Like every tweet I see of him in it I really wonder like what was he thinking y'day especially as I think he wore suits in the first two games looking like all business.

Oh well, like I said
It surely isn't the clothing choice that made him struggle but he definitely missed before he even got on the court sigh lol

pickle

Post by pickle »

I’m as frustrated as anyone on Payne’s decision making, but I do wonder, how much of it has to do with that ankle injury taking him off his rhythm. He used to hit a three or two which would open up the driving lanes a bit more. Now that the threes aren’t falling he’s pressing more.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I don't know if we can blame the ankle. Payne hasn't been good from 3 since the Lakers series. The last three series his 3P%'s have been:

And his overall FG% dropped from .484 in the regular season to .410 in the playoffs.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:44 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:26 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Don't know when this was

Yikes....
Ok things got worst

Bookers body language in that video is interesting. Arms folded (defensive posture) staring ahead blank in his own world as if oblivious to Ayton talking.

pickle

Post by pickle »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:21 pm
I don't know if we can blame the ankle. Payne hasn't been good from 3 since the Lakers series. The last three series his 3P%'s have been:

And his overall FG% dropped from .484 in the regular season to .410 in the playoffs.
I don't think the 3 point shot is affected by his ankle. He was not a good shooter from 3 for his career but shot very well this year, over 40% as I recall. For a role player, I think his impact will be limited once the other team scouts you and prepares for you. And I do think he sometimes gets tunnel vision and decides he's going to take a shot before he starts driving from the 3 point line.

Having said all that, I do wonder if the ankle took away some momentum and maybe limited some of his ability to create separation, especially against the bigs protecting the paint, both in the last 3 games of the Clippers series and in this one as well. He had some moderate success with change of pace and hesitations, but hasn't clearly sped past anybody in this Bucks series that I can remember.