GAME DAY, NBA FINALS EDITION — GAME 5 — MILWAUKEE BUCKS @ PHOENIX SUNS SATURDAY, 7/17/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsRIt

Re: GAME DAY, NBA FINALS EDITION — GAME 5 — MILWAUKEE BUCKS @ PHOENIX SUNS SATURDAY, 7/17/2021

Post by SunsRIt »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:42 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:34 pm
Also book shoulda call a timeout when he got trapped… we coughed this one up gonna be super tough to win g6
This loss is completely on Monty.

1. In the previous timeout, he should have told them to put the ball in Paul's hands.

2. When Booker was trapped with 3 Bucks around him, Monty should have called timeout himself.
Monte isn’t the one that couldn’t make a play when it got close. Not his fault.

Mori Chu

Re: GAME DAY, NBA FINALS EDITION — GAME 5 — MILWAUKEE BUCKS @ PHOENIX SUNS SATURDAY, 7/17/2021

Post by Mori Chu »

How do you shoot 68% on 3s and lose??

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:42 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:34 pm
Also book shoulda call a timeout when he got trapped… we coughed this one up gonna be super tough to win g6
This loss is completely on Monty.

1. In the previous timeout, he should have told them to put the ball in Paul's hands.

2. When Booker was trapped with 3 Bucks around him, Monty should have called timeout himself.
Monte isn’t the one that couldn’t make a play when it got close. Not his fault.
It was horrible coaching all game, resting the big 3 too much in the first half, not calling timeouts when the Bucks went on runs, etc.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Since 1993, it has been one thing or another that kills the team as favorites. Paxson's 3 pointer. Being up on eventual champions Houston 3-1 two years in a row and then blowing it both years. Joe Johnson breaking his face against eventual champion San Antonio in 2004. Amare blowing out his knee. Tim Donoughey actively point shaving against the Suns and costing them wins against eventual champion San Antonio. David Stern suspending Amare and Diaw for getting off the bench while not suspending Duncan and Manu for the same and the Suns lose the pivotal game 5 against eventual champion San Antonio. Suns losing against eventual champion Dallas after Raja Bell is hurt and the 7 man rotation goes down to 6. Ron Artest getting the lucky bounce off the shot clock on a 3 for eventual champion LA Lakers to close out the Suns.

Add 2021 to the list, being up 2-0 on eventual champion Milwaukee before choking and losing 4 games straight? Let's find out but I'm going to expect it, only way it would hurt less.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

First 3-game losing streak since January.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Please, make it to 7
please

phatmike

Post by phatmike »

Mori Chu wrote:

Gave up too many offensive boards and seemed to lose every single 50/50 ball

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I feel like if we could ever get a 3rd win in the Finals, we would win the championship. But we've never been able to get past game 6 of the Finals. One more chance at it on Tuesday.

Split T

Post by Split T »

People upset about Booker, I thought he was awesome tonight. He’s the main reason we even had a shot. He was torching everyone, we just couldn’t get a stop to save our lives. Booker played better D on Middleton than anyone as well. They were actively trying to get Booker off Middleton and get Crowder/Bridges/CP3 switched on…never thought I’d see that.

The last turnover hurts…you wish Booker would’ve seen Jrue coming, but I also think Jrue fouled him. At least in the regular season. He got a lot of arm with the ball. But, refs were letting them play down the stretch, I can’t complain because that’s what I’d prefer anyways. Tough one…that 2nd Q will haunt us. Not sure what the deal was there.

Then the 3rd Q came along and Milwaukee decided they wouldn’t miss a single shot. Hit some ridiculous shots. Gotta go win a game in Milwaukee now…I don’t think it’s gonna happen, but this team has surprised me many times before this season.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:45 pm
Since 1993, it has been one thing or another that kills the team as favorites. Paxson's 3 pointer. Being up on eventual champions Houston 3-1 two years in a row and then blowing it both years. Joe Johnson breaking his face against eventual champion San Antonio in 2004. Amare blowing out his knee. Tim Donoughey actively point shaving against the Suns and costing them wins against eventual champion San Antonio. David Stern suspending Amare and Diaw for getting off the bench while not suspending Duncan and Manu for the same and the Suns lose the pivotal game 5 against eventual champion San Antonio. Suns losing against eventual champion Dallas after Raja Bell is hurt and the 7 man rotation goes down to 6. Ron Artest getting the lucky bounce off the shot clock on a 3 for eventual champion LA Lakers to close out the Suns.

Add 2021 to the list, being up 2-0 on eventual champion Milwaukee before choking and losing 4 games straight? Let's find out but I'm going to expect it, only way it would hurt less.
Might as well lose at home in 7 for maximum suns pain

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Booker just cannot have the ball in his hands at the end of quarters much less games. It just doesn't work.

Everyone knows that if Booker had let Paul have the ball with half a minute to go, there's almost a 100% chance he would have scored to take the lead. You could see it on the previous possessions how determined Paul was to win. You want it in your clutch veteran point guard's hands.

We have one of the clutchest players in NBA history on our team and he didn't get a chance to win us the game.

phatmike

Post by phatmike »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:54 pm
People upset about Booker, I thought he was awesome tonight. He’s the main reason we even had a shot...
Yeah - I agree wholeheartedly. What I said above comes from a place of me wanting him to be the best Sun of all time. I do stand behind what I said about his abilities in iso ball at end of quarter situations. I'd really like to see the stats for him in those scenarios. I don't even think it's his fault necessarily. I think Monty has to find better ways to utilize him. He is so much better when he has to catch the ball and then GO.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:02 pm
Booker just cannot have the ball in his hands at the end of quarters much less games. It just doesn't work.

Everyone knows that if Booker had let Paul have the ball with half a minute to go, there's almost a 100% chance he would have scored to take the lead. You could see it on the previous possessions how determined Paul was to win. You want it in your clutch veteran point guard's hands.

We have one of the clutchest players in NBA history on our team and he didn't get a chance to win us the game.
Maybe, but, we just tried that last game and he fell down and lost the ball. That's two games in a row now where our two star guards lost the ball on our last offensive possession.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Man, I'm just devastated about this loss. All 3 of the
Bucks big 3 played great. Our big 3 were also good, especially Book, but it wasn't enough. I hate how our offense devolves into Book and CP3 taking turns going 1-on-1. They forget to pass, to attack the basket, to run good P&Rs. It's easy to defend. I don't like how Payne takes like 5 bad shots and layups a game. We waste a lot of possessions. I don't like how we forget to box out and give the Bucks the ball back. We have these very winnable games and we're giving them away.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:12 pm
Man, I'm just devastated about this loss. All 3 of the
Bucks big 3 played great. Our big 3 were also good, especially Book, but it wasn't enough. I hate how our offense devolves into Book and CP3 taking turns going 1-on-1. They forget to pass, to attack the basket, to run good P&Rs. It's easy to defend. I don't like how Payne takes like 5 bad shots and layups a game. We waste a lot of possessions. I don't like how we forget to box out and give the Bucks the ball back. We have these very winnable games and we're giving them away.

They're a lot harder to defend when they're moving the ball of course, but Milwaukee's defense has something to do with that too.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

I am sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I simply do not see us winning game 6 in Milwaukee. I guess almost every casual fan in the world, the entire team of ESPN and the league office are all super happy to have their storyline of this young and uprising two time MVP finally win it all.

That Scott Foster Game followed by two close Heartbreaker losses - I have to admit, to me it seems as if we got worse while the Bucks got better, every fucking game after our first two wins.

This has a lot to do with experience, the team and coaching but the refereeing also helped the Bucks way more than it helped us in these Finals. Neither Booker nor Paul are getting those Giannis superstar calls on a consistent basis. Of course, it helps that Giannis is such a bad free throw shooter but it still stinks that just looking at him gets you in found trouble sometimes.

We could have won Game 3 without Foster or Game 4 without collapsing but Game 5 was not so much lost by the Suns as it was won by the Bucks. They are rolling now and will be near impossible to stop. Again, I think it all started in Game 3 but we really let them back into the series by losing Game 4. That Game broke our spirit and made them finally believe they can actually take it. They are peaking while we are struggling.

I still have a glimpse of hope but it does not feel good. We still need everybody on and around the team to believe, so I will be doing my part.

Let's go. Suns in 7!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Bruiser wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:26 pm
I am sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I simply do not see us winning game 6 in Milwaukee. I guess almost every casual fan in the world, the entire team of ESPN and the league office are all super happy to have their storyline of this young and uprising two time MVP finally win it all.

That Scott Foster Game followed by two close Heartbreaker losses - I have to admit, to me it seems as if we got worse while the Bucks got better, every fucking game after our first two wins.

This has a lot to do with experience, the team and coaching but the refereeing also helped the Bucks way more than it helped us in these Finals. Neither Booker nor Paul are getting those Giannis superstar calls on a consistent basis. Of course, it helps that Giannis is such a bad free throw shooter but it still stinks that just looking at him gets you in found trouble sometimes.

We could have won Game 3 without Foster or Game 4 without collapsing but Game 5 was not so much lost by the Suns as it was won by the Bucks. They are rolling now and will be near impossible to stop. Again, I think it all started in Game 3 but we really let them back into the series by losing Game 4. That Game broke our spirit and made them finally believe they can actually take it. They are peaking while we are struggling.

I still have a glimpse of hope but it does not feel good. We still need everybody on and around the team to believe, so I will be doing my part.

Let's go. Suns in 7!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
This is where we find out if they have the heart of a champion

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

phatmike wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:51 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Gave up too many offensive boards and seemed to lose every single 50/50 ball
We are too fucking small. James Jones fucked that up big time. He who gets praised needs to obsorb the blame when it is due, and it is due. Never ever really had a chance in this series. We were lucky to beat the Lakers. If Davis was healthy, we had no chance due to our size in the front line.

We finally ran into a healthy team with sized, we are fucked.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

*sigh*

In 1996, I was 10 years old and had just gotten into baseball for the time in my life (stay away, FF). Living in Utah of all places left me with basically one choice of a team to root for: the Atlanta Braves, whose games were on TBS 99% of the time.

That season, they were trying to repeat as champions, while the Yankees had made it back to the World Series for the first time since 1981.

Anyway, the Braves won the first two games on the road, in New York--blowing the Yankees out both times. Only to never win another game, as they proceeded to lose four straight.

I really, truly (and I suppose, I still might not) never thought that that particular ghost's chains would be rattling in my direction once again.

Yes, this team, however Tuesday (and I hope a Thursday) plays out will always be my favorite Suns team of all-time. Yes, I will always be proud of them from. going from the wilderness to the bubble and then to the Finals. And yes, Nodack, it is entertainment (for better or worse sometimes, in terms of the NBA as a whole).

But, damn, I really don't want a complete rehash and rerun of 25 years ago,

Can we beat the Bucks twice in a row? Yeah, we've done it already.

Will we? Not sure I want to answer this with how I'm feeling at the moment.

At any rate, we can't think about Thursday. One game at a time, one quarter at a time, and one possession at a time. I do believe that's where it's at.

Here's hoping.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

We have not lost 4 games in a row since March 3, 2020. How horrible if the only time we lose 4 in a row this season is in the Finals. Ugh.