The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsRIt

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by SunsRIt »

There seems to be a lot of PGs available in free agency this year. That should help us with the Payne situation.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

I'm sorry, but Sarver needs to hush and defer to Jones...he doesn't know how to play the game. This kind of crap could come across as offensive, and that's the wrong tact if we indeed want to keep him. He's got no finesse at ALL...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:48 pm
I'm sorry, but Sarver needs to hush and defer to Jones...he doesn't know how to play the game. This kind of crap could come across as offensive, and that's the wrong tact if we indeed want to keep him. He's got no finesse at ALL...
He's a billionaire white male banker in the US. He's never needed finesse.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:10 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Doesn't make it a good thing...

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If the money and length are equal, would you guys rather Payne or TJ McConnell? Put aside the fact that you'd need to use the MLE on TJ and can sign Payne with bird rights.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:41 pm
If the money and length are equal, would you guys rather Payne or TJ McConnell? Put aside the fact that you'd need to use the MLE on TJ and can sign Payne with bird rights.
TJ can’t knock down 3s and is umproven in the playoffs. Against bigger defensive teams I bet his defensive efficacy drops and he gets bullied. He’s an excellent creator and great in the regular season. I’d rather go with Patty Mills for his scoring and leadership in the clutch.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

For some reason I think Paul will be back unless the Lakers grab him. I have no idea. It just seems like something they would do.

I also am hoping what happened in the bubble happens again this year. We sucked for many years. Acquired some talent and after a few years almost made the playoffs last year going 8/0 in the bubble. That impressed a lot of people and that is why we got CP3, Crowder and Galloway. This year we won our first two games of the Finals. The team unity, a really good coach. That had to impress someone. Maybe someone who plays in the NBA and is a good BU Center wanting to come to a winning team and is willing to take a slight pay cut.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d take Payne over TJ

Indy

Post by Indy »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:29 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:10 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Doesn't make it a good thing...
Completely agree

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:22 am
Only problem I have with Nance is his rebounding (per 36) has been dropping off a cliff the last few years (12.1 in 2018 to 7.8 last season). If we're gonna have another undersized PF, he at least needs to be a great rebounder.
Argreed !

He has the athleticism to get up and down the floor and block shots, but his rebounding has gone south.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:19 am
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:22 am
Only problem I have with Nance is his rebounding (per 36) has been dropping off a cliff the last few years (12.1 in 2018 to 7.8 last season). If we're gonna have another undersized PF, he at least needs to be a great rebounder.
Argreed !

He has the athleticism to get up and down the floor and block shots, but his rebounding has gone south.
A big part of rebounding, is effort. Nance and Kevin Love must be depressed as hell, knowing they are in a rebuilding effort as stop gaps, not building blocks. Love already had that visible mini meltdown, where he blows that inbounding play, totally out of frustration. Getting a traded Nance or a buyed out Love, would bring a player hungry to prove himself, and to taste some success again (Lebron left them behind after the parade). Their rebounding will go up.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

6-4 guard out of New Hampshire, 26 years old

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Is it pronounced JaLEN or JaLEAN?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Turns out this is who James Jones thought he was drafting last year

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

This is gonna make our summer league very confusing lol. Two Jale(e)n Smiths!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Have this in the Draft thread too but also affects our offseason. What does this mean for Payne? Shamet is still on his rookie deal this year and next and then is restricted.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I see Shamet as more of a 2. Still need Payne back

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Yeah, Shamet is a second string SG at best. I don't ever want him playing point guard.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I like this deal for the Suns. Odds are high that Shamet will be significantly better than the 29th pick for the Suns next season, and I didn't think Carter and his salary were long for this roster.

From what I've seen of Shamet, he's either a volcano spitting fireballs or an Arctic penguin. But he's always played hard and never been a problem in the locker room.

Probably most importantly, he's not on the books for '22-'23 when Ayton and Bridges will get their raises.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:41 pm
I like this deal for the Suns. Odds are high that Shamet will be significantly better than the 29th pick for the Suns next season, and I didn't think Carter and his salary were long for this roster.

From what I've seen of Shamet, he's either a volcano spitting fireballs or an Arctic penguin. But he's always played hard and never been a problem in the locker room.

Probably most importantly, he's not on the books for '22-'23 when Ayton and Bridges will get their raises.
And neither will the 29th pick or Carter. I think that might have more to do with it than anything.