The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Split T »

Well free agency is the next big question…JJ mentioned wanting to be 3 deep at every position, so how do we do that? I’m going to assume we bring back CP3 and CP15 here:

PG. Paul, Payne, TBD
SG. Booker, Shamet, TBD
SF. Bridges, Johnson, TBD
PF. Crowder, TBD, Saric
C. Ayton, TBD, Smith

Is Ty-Shon still on a 2-way? Maybe he fills one of the 3rd string guard spots. I’d welcome back Craig or Nader as the 3rd string SF. I wouldn’t hate bringing Moore back, but maybe an actual pg at 3rd string would be nice.

The two big needs are in the front court. I like Nerlens, I like Vanderbilt too. Jeff Green or Blake Griffin would also be intriguing. JaMychal Green too. I’d love Kelly Olynyk. What do people know about Isaiah Hartenstein? His per-36 numbers are pretty intriguing and he’s pretty young still. I’d look at him as well.

So need two bigs, make sure one can shoot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:05 am
Well free agency is the next big question…JJ mentioned wanting to be 3 deep at every position, so how do we do that? I’m going to assume we bring back CP3 and CP15 here:

PG. Paul, Payne, TBD
SG. Booker, Shamet, TBD
PF. Crowder, TBD, Saric
C. Ayton, TBD, Smith

Is Ty-Shon still on a 2-way? Maybe he fills one of the 3rd string guard spots. I’d welcome back Craig or Nader as the 3rd string SF. I wouldn’t hate bringing Moore back, but maybe an actual pg at 3rd string would be nice.

The two big needs are in the front court. I like Nerlens, I like Vanderbilt too. Jeff Green or Blake Griffin would also be intriguing. JaMychal Green too. I’d love Kelly Olynyk. What do people know about Isaiah Hartenstein? His per-36 numbers are pretty intriguing and he’s pretty young still. I’d look at him as well.

I would say we need 3 bigs.

I feel like Jones is thinking Smith will be a back up 4 more than a 5. And you can't count any time for Saric, IMO. So it still looks like we have huge holes at the #2 PF and C, and probable a decent sized hole at 5th big (Ayton, Crowder, #2 PF, #2 Center, Smith, last big). That is a lot of holes up front.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, but Saric will still take up a spot on the roster, so if you add a 3rd big, you’ve gotta take that spot away from a backcourt or wing position. The 2-way helps as they don’t take up one of the 15 spots. So maybe we keep Ty-Shon on a 2-way and use one of our 2 empty guard spots on an extra big.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I thought when you got an injury exemption you got a roster spot, no?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:22 am
I thought when you got an injury exemption you got a roster spot, no?
Not sure…I’ll see what I can find

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looks like there is the disabled player exception which grants extra money over the cap you can spend. That’s what we could possibly get with Saric. Then there is the hardship exception which grants an extra roster spot. Need 4 or more players to be injured or out. So Saric alone won’t grant us a roster spot.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yup
Glad the numbers support my eye test with Shamet. We definitely struggled with having guys make plays off the dribble and like I said that was obviously one reason Jevon didn't play.

There is potential for Shamet to be solid
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I'd like to keep Galloway if we could (and play him a bit more) ... I could see him really helping someone like the Lakers so we gotta keep him if not just to stop that from happening.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think Moore should have a higher priority than Galloway. Neither offers much defensively, but Moore is better at handling the ball and running the offense.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

Myles Turner is what we need and available I think. I wish James Jones would read these posts.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:56 pm
I think Moore should have a higher priority than Galloway. Neither offers much defensively, but Moore is better at handling the ball and running the offense.
I don't think either should a priority. There's better stuff in the bargain bin.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I’m excited to see what cam johnson does in year 3. I hope he take a leap with his scoring and become a major sixth man. His confidence from the playoffs should give him a big boost.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:05 am

PG. Paul, Payne, TBD
SG. Booker, Shamet, TBD
PF. Crowder, TBD, Saric
C. Ayton, TBD, Smith

Good post. I think we're going to strike early in FA locking up both CPs and adding a vet big right away. We've planted our flag and the rest of the league knows we're serious about winning and back on track. We're not a flash in the pan or still have question marks about how good we can be. Paul and Jae saw it in the bubble and now everyone knows. I also think Paul and Book, maybe some others, have been putting out their own feelers. Don't think the names will be flashy, but serviceable and will fit their role.

Dario played 17mpg as our 5 off the bench so we don't have a ton of minutes to give out. The more popular names like Noel, Jeff or JaMychel Green, Kelly Olynyk, etc may be looking for minutes/money. And others have pointed out, do we want to spend a decent amount of money for someone who may only play 10-12 minutes in the postseason? I think Frank will be back as a bench/lockerroom guy and maybe one of Moore or Gallo at guard for depth.

We also know Monty has a good feel for guys around the league and has brought in former players like Moore, Dario, Cam Payne so maybe there's someone on the Sixers or Thunder roster from a few years ago he may have in mind.

Cam Johnson is our primary 4 unless his role changes. I think a larger question is how far we think we can go with Jae and Cam as our primary 4s. Stix was drafted to assume that PF role but I stiil think his natural position is the 5.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

McDermott is a nice player, but he doesn’t exactly solve our big man problem. He’s a wing..and not a good defensive one either. If he’s just a minor piece for one of our lesser exceptions, I’d be cool. But I think he’s gonna go for more and I don’t want to use our best exception on something we don’t really need.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Not sure why we would want him right now. Priority should be some bigs that can shoot and have offensive rebounds.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Perhaps it's just a smokescreen. Jones has been really good at hiding his moves until they develop.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If you can't beat 'em, sign 'em?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gotta love how this article spins the B/R article as CP3 leaving the Suns LOL: https://clutchpoints.com/suns-rumors-ch ... n-emerges/
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:13 am
Gotta love how this article spins the B/R article as CP3 leaving the Suns LOL: https://clutchpoints.com/suns-rumors-ch ... n-emerges/
No you don't. :|
"Be Legendary."