The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:09 pm
I can see the danger of paying for Ayton, Mikal and Cam when one, some or all of them don't produce to the value of their contract. That's kind of where the Blazers got themselves into trouble.

I hesitate on Mikal and Cam. They're older than most guys in their contract situation and both still have some pretty big holes in their game. Getting to and above the $20M/year level for either is risky business. I need to see some offensive creation from them before I feel good about them making that kind of money on the Suns.

I think Ayton has to be paid. He's just so damn big, athletic and durable so far in his career, and I believe he wants to get better. I really hope we see a broader set of offensive skills from him this season.
I would bet money we see a bigger change in offensive skillset from Mikal and Cam than Ayton. But the Suns will be literally betting a lot more money on the opposite.
Part of that is on the Suns. They need to let him know exactly what they want him to work on and develop, and get him the necessary tools to do so (whether it be training with Hakeem or another big man or whatever).

It seems like the team has been content to not use or develop Ayton as an offensive weapon. And it could be the difference in winning a championship or not.
Last edited by JeremyG on Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:41 am
In other words, they took advantage of that and lowballed him. We can use fancy terms like "team-friendly deal" but that's essentially what it was.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:44 am
ShelC wrote:
In other words, they took advantage of that and lowballed him. We can use fancy terms like "team-friendly deal" but that's essentially what it was.
What if Payne was the one to put that number on the table first?

“My agent tells me I can go a get 8mill for sure out there, but if you gave me this over this number of years, I won’t even take calls.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I'm thinking Payne told his agent to just make sure it's a fair deal. I didn't see him leaving even for a starting job somewhere else.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:50 am
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:44 am
ShelC wrote:
What if Payne was the one to put that number on the table first?

“My agent tells me I can go a get 8mill for sure out there, but if you gave me this over this number of years, I won’t even take calls.”
Right. Why keep assuming the worst?

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:39 am
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I can see the danger of paying for Ayton, Mikal and Cam when one, some or all of them don't produce to the value of their contract. That's kind of where the Blazers got themselves into trouble.

I hesitate on Mikal and Cam. They're older than most guys in their contract situation and both still have some pretty big holes in their game. Getting to and above the $20M/year level for either is risky business. I need to see some offensive creation from them before I feel good about them making that kind of money on the Suns.

I think Ayton has to be paid. He's just so damn big, athletic and durable so far in his career, and I believe he wants to get better. I really hope we see a broader set of offensive skills from him this season.
I would bet money we see a bigger change in offensive skillset from Mikal and Cam than Ayton. But the Suns will be literally betting a lot more money on the opposite.
Part of that is on the Suns. They need to let him know exactly what they want him to work on and develop, and get him the necessary tools to do so (whether it be training with Hakeem or another big man or whatever).

It seems like the team has been content to not use or develop Ayton as an offensive weapon. And it could be the difference in winning a championship or not.
Do you think it was the Suns that decided to turn Devin Booker into what he is today? Sure the team needs to provide support and resources, but it is on the player to put in the work and develop.

And the lack of DA to be the focal point of the offense, when we have 2 great offensive weapons already, is not why we lost a championship. Nobody being able to defensively stop Giannis is what led to our loss.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Making a trade of our late draft pick this yr for a proven young player that we know will contribute this yr isn't a sign of the coming apocalypse. Now, if they lowball and/or do not extend Mikal, DA or even Shamet(although, they may need to wait to see how he does), then I will start to worry about not filling the roster with young developmental players on cheap contracts.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:21 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Do you think it was the Suns that decided to turn Devin Booker into what he is today? Sure the team needs to provide support and resources, but it is on the player to put in the work and develop.

And the lack of DA to be the focal point of the offense, when we have 2 great offensive weapons already, is not why we lost a championship. Nobody being able to defensively stop Giannis is what led to our loss.
According to the article about Earl and him, it sure seems that Earl had a lot to do with it.

Nobody can stop Giannis. Game 5 our offense was ok. But in Games 3, 4, and 6 we struggled to score (except for one game from Booker, and he had no help). Yes it would have made a huge difference to have a scoring threat down low.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I Ayton can ever learn how to consistently draw fouls from opposing players, our ceiling goes up considerably.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:06 pm
I Ayton can ever learn how to consistently draw fouls from opposing players, our ceiling goes up considerably.
I think there's a clear opportunity for him in the offense when he receives a pass at the top of the key. To this point, he almost never does anything but look for the next pass and the defender usually knows it. He needs to develop a two dribble move and get into a comfortable shot. That'll result in more fouls and probably better shots for other guys.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

On Nance...get it done...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sold!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Nance, but would we be able to retain him with all the other talent on the roster? He makes roughly $10m/year for the next 2 years. And he isn't going to want to re-sign for less than that. With Bridges, Ayton, Cam Johnson, and others due for contracts soon, would we really be able to keep Nance, too?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

He's my question - how can they possibly justify giving Payton #6 to wear?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:59 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

According to the article about Earl and him, it sure seems that Earl had a lot to do with it.

Nobody can stop Giannis. Game 5 our offense was ok. But in Games 3, 4, and 6 we struggled to score (except for one game from Booker, and he had no help). Yes it would have made a huge difference to have a scoring threat down low.
You think Ayton is going to develop a low post scoring game? He's never been anything like that before. If you mean get him to seal his smaller guard/wing during a mismatch on a break so we can throw him a high pass and he can dunk on the guy? Yeah, I would love that. He just doesn't bother to try and do that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:07 am
I like Nance, but would we be able to retain him with all the other talent on the roster? He makes roughly $10m/year for the next 2 years. And he isn't going to want to re-sign for less than that. With Bridges, Ayton, Cam Johnson, and others due for contracts soon, would we really be able to keep Nance, too?
No probably not. He’d just be a 2 year guy to try and win a title before CP3 falls apart.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:14 am
He's my question - how can they possibly justify giving Payton #6 to wear?
He wore #2 last time. He’s been #4 as well. Both those numbers are available and I’m sure he’ll pick one of them.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I motion to call the next variant the Scott Foster variant.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:05 am
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:59 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:

You think Ayton is going to develop a low post scoring game? He's never been anything like that before. If you mean get him to seal his smaller guard/wing during a mismatch on a break so we can throw him a high pass and he can dunk on the guy? Yeah, I would love that. He just doesn't bother to try and do that.
We were actually going to him in the post and he was scoring in all kinds of ways in the paint in the first half of Game 3, before Scott Foster destroyed his confidence/aggression with foul trouble.

What I'm saying is that if both Ayton and the Suns organization focus on Ayton's offensive development, then next year Bucks fans could be saying what you said about Giannis: "Nobody being able to defensively stop Ayton is what led to our loss."

He has all the talent he needs, just like Giannis and Embiid, so why not at least try to get the most out of your #1 pick?