The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:54 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:05 am
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:59 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:21 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:39 am

Part of that is on the Suns. They need to let him know exactly what they want him to work on and develop, and get him the necessary tools to do so (whether it be training with Hakeem or another big man or whatever).

It seems like the team has been content to not use or develop Ayton as an offensive weapon. And it could be the difference in winning a championship or not.
Do you think it was the Suns that decided to turn Devin Booker into what he is today? Sure the team needs to provide support and resources, but it is on the player to put in the work and develop.

And the lack of DA to be the focal point of the offense, when we have 2 great offensive weapons already, is not why we lost a championship. Nobody being able to defensively stop Giannis is what led to our loss.
According to the article about Earl and him, it sure seems that Earl had a lot to do with it.

Nobody can stop Giannis. Game 5 our offense was ok. But in Games 3, 4, and 6 we struggled to score (except for one game from Booker, and he had no help). Yes it would have made a huge difference to have a scoring threat down low.
You think Ayton is going to develop a low post scoring game? He's never been anything like that before. If you mean get him to seal his smaller guard/wing during a mismatch on a break so we can throw him a high pass and he can dunk on the guy? Yeah, I would love that. He just doesn't bother to try and do that.
We were actually going to him in the post and he was scoring in all kinds of ways in the paint in the first half of Game 3, before Scott Foster destroyed his confidence/aggression with foul trouble.

What I'm saying is that if both Ayton and the Suns organization focus on Ayton's offensive development, then next year Bucks fans could be saying what you said about Giannis: "Nobody being able to defensively stop Ayton is what led to our loss."

He has all the talent he needs, just like Giannis and Embiid, so why not at least try to get the most out of your #1 pick?
I’m not sure that’s true, at least in the traditional sense of creating his own shot in the paint. Every bucket he made in the first half was assisted except 1. That 1 was a mid range jump shot. Ayton is a very gifted finisher, but he’s pretty lacking at creating his own shot.

I do agree it would be nice to develop that aspect of his game and I’d focus on it for sure this year. He needs to start dribbling. Our offense has him with the ball out at the 3 point line often. If that’s what we’re going to run, he needs to either be a threat to shoot or a threat to drive. Don’t need him to be crossing over defenders, but two dribbles attacking the defender and turning it into a post touch from time to time would be awesome. Basically just need him to do what Saric does on offense, in addition to what he brings as a roller and offensive rebounder.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Whoa, did you guys see this? Apparently Book pulled his hamstring in Game 3 of the Finals. Between this and Paul’s hand, we had no chance.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2775697 ... ls-game-3/
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:36 pm
Whoa, did you guys see this? Apparently Book pulled his hamstring in Game 3 of the Finals. Between this and Paul’s hand, we had no chance.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2775697 ... ls-game-3/
Give the Bucks an asterisk!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I saw that yesterday and it bothered me a little bit that Monty brought it up, but ultimately it's meaningless to me.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I've not posted much since the Finals loss; I'm still in mourning. What a gut punch. If we'd had Chris Paul at 100% health, I really think we would have won that title.

And honestly I don't think we are going to make it back to the Finals nor get a ring with this group. The league is just too stacked; it's just too hard to do it without a superteam, and while I love this roster and these players, I just don't know that we can compete with the huge markets that just get every available FA and trade every year and get lots of guys signing for the minimum to chase rings. How do you compete with that?

I'm just in a sad place as a fan. It was so much fun to see the guys make their title run, but I really felt like that was our year. I got a similar feeling after '07; it was like, this was the team, this was the year. We had to win it this time. This was our shot. We aren't going to get another chance like this.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Two of the last three titles have been won by non super teams. Yes this was probably our best shot at a title, but I think the league is as wide open as ever. Sure, if the Nets stay healthy during the playoffs, they’ll probably be a clear favorite, but none of their top 3 has shown the ability to do that. Outside of them, there’s no one who makes me think super team. There’s probably a group of 7-8 teams that are all pretty close and have as good a shot as the others at coming out on top.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:16 am
I've not posted much since the Finals loss; I'm still in mourning. What a gut punch. If we'd had Chris Paul at 100% health, I really think we would have won that title.

And honestly I don't think we are going to make it back to the Finals nor get a ring with this group. The league is just too stacked; it's just too hard to do it without a superteam, and while I love this roster and these players, I just don't know that we can compete with the huge markets that just get every available FA and trade every year and get lots of guys signing for the minimum to chase rings. How do you compete with that?

I'm just in a sad place as a fan. It was so much fun to see the guys make their title run, but I really felt like that was our year. I got a similar feeling after '07; it was like, this was the team, this was the year. We had to win it this time. This was our shot. We aren't going to get another chance like this.
When the young core of the team is all 25 & younger, it seems weird to me to discount them for the future in relation to everyone else. Just look at the Heatles team, in that their first trip to the finals, all those guys were on their 3rd contract. They didn't win that yr, just as the Suns weren't able to overcome the injuries to CP3, Book & Saric. Only a couple of the core were in the beginning of their 2nd contract and most still in their rookie one. To think they haven't improved this off-season and still can't improve organically isn't something I'm going to let myself believe.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:43 am
Mori Chu wrote:

When the young core of the team is all 25 & younger, it seems weird to me to discount them for the future in relation to everyone else. Just look at the Heatles team, in that their first trip to the finals, all those guys were on their 3rd contract. They didn't win that yr, just as the Suns weren't able to overcome the injuries to CP3, Book & Saric. Only a couple of the core were in the beginning of their 2nd contract and most still in their rookie one. To think they haven't improved this off-season and still can't improve organically isn't something I'm going to let myself believe.
Thanks for the counter argument. I refuse to believe this team will never get there again. Yes, it was a gut punch. You could even say it was heart wrenching. :shock: 8-) :P Still, the core is very young. They got some great experience. We didn't just get lucky to get there. We were a very good team. 2nd best record in the league good. Within a game or two of best record in the league good. James Jones turned this team around very quickly. I see no reason we can't become even better. I'm not giving up on this team and you better believe this team is hungry to seal the deal. Go Suns!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:47 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Thanks for the counter argument. I refuse to believe this team will never get there again. Yes, it was a gut punch. You could even say it was heart wrenching. :shock: 8-) :P Still, the core is very young. They got some great experience. We didn't just get lucky to get there. We were a very good team. 2nd best record in the league good. Within a game or two of best record in the league good. James Jones turned this team around very quickly. I see no reason we can't become even better. I'm not giving up on this team and you better believe this team is hungry to seal the deal. Go Suns!
too soon bone!

Split T

Post by Split T »

I want him to be right, haha…although he pretty much covers all the bases here, so it’ll be hard for him to be wrong.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ya he did. It will be a trade for these guys or maybe some other guy or maybe they don’t trade him at all. I’m confident on this.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

too soon bone!
I don’t think so. I feel great, man!
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Funny guy… he could go further with: “ but if we keep him, Stix could be part of the rotation or used on limited situations, but it’s not out of possibility the team choose not to play him at all. Patience is the key guys!!”
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I know we’re starved for news, but maybe we just don’t post Flex tweets here?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't see an issue with posting his tweets. He clearly has at least one half decent contact with Suns info.

Everyone here should know what he is and isn't at this point.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m just being salty. Post away.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I don't care if people post his tweets here. But it seems like he only has a connection to Paul (maybe through his agency). So I don't trust most of his stuff unless it is related to Paul. But I am really glad I don't follow him on Twitter.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

too soon bone!
Glad to hear it.

I still haven't read the Game 6 thread. Only posts on this site I haven't read yet.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:09 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:

too soon bone!
Glad to hear it.

I still haven't read the Game 6 thread. Only posts on this site I haven't read yet.
I've still got a bunch of tabs open about the aftermath of the Finals that I haven't been able to muster up the courage to read so far.
"Be Legendary."