The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by djy2j »

I go back and forth on Love. Some days he’s a uninterested out of shape has been with one and half feet out of the door other days he’s a guy just needing some motivation by playing meaningful basketball again. Either way he won’t play a minute of basketball for the Cavs again.

Other available names I haven’t seen mentioned in best case scenario in a last resort option to fill that PF spot: Ed Davis, Harry Giles, Pat Patterson, Ersan Ilysova.

I’m more intrigued by the first two. I think Giles hasn’t been put in the best developmental scenarios. I like Davis as a tenacious rebounder.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t mind Giles as a developmental guy…but we kinda need a guy we can play rotation minutes. Giles wasn’t good last year and we’re in position to need to play Frank again if we don’t add someone else.

Davis has been pretty bad the last two years, I’m not sure he has anything left.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

It's really disappointing that they let Nance get traded to a direct competitor, in particular. I really hope Smith explodes this season, else it feels like this window could already be closed...

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t know if let is the right word. We just don’t really have much to offer. Portland gave up an expiring contract and a 1st. We could have matched the 1st(sometime way in the future) but the contract we had to trade was Saric. He’s got two years left and has a torn acl. The blazers had a better offer.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

We see a lit of instances where a move is made involving a player we think the Suns should acquire and some things are never considered -

- the Suns may not be interested in that player

- the Suns may not have anything to offer that can get the deal done

- the other team may be asking for more than the Suns are willing to give up.

- a different team comes in with a better offer.

This is probably one of these four cases, but we don't know which. Getting all angry about it is kind of ridiculous.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:56 am
We see a lit of instances where a move is made involving a player we think the Suns should acquire and some things are never considered -

This is probably one of these four cases, but we don't know which. Getting all angry about it is kind of ridiculous.
Angry? No. Disappointed? Yes. We lost due to a lack of depth in the frontcourt...and what was probably the best option that was out there we lost out on...so...door feels to be closting. The wild card in all this is if Jalen turns into something...flip a coin. Our competition got better, most of our moves were more lateral, and the weakness on which we lost feels like we put a bandaid on vs. solved. Shrug...I was hoping to see this incarnation of the Suns get a banner...this feels a lot less likely now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:16 am
The Bobster wrote:

Angry? No. Disappointed? Yes. We lost due to a lack of depth in the frontcourt...and what was probably the best option that was out there we lost out on...so...door feels to be closting. The wild card in all this is if Jalen turns into something...flip a coin. Our competition got better, most of our moves were more lateral, and the weakness on which we lost feels like we put a bandaid on vs. solved. Shrug...I was hoping to see this incarnation of the Suns get a banner...this feels a lot less likely now.
Dude. The core is 24 and under. Nothing's closing.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:21 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:16 am
The Bobster wrote:

Dude. The core is 24 and under. Nothing's closing.

Except for the most important part of course.

But a few more years of winning and a little cap space should make Phoenix a destination spot for free agents like it used to be.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

First preseason game is a little over a month away. I wonder when media day 2021 and training camp start. Can't be far off.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:31 pm
First preseason game is a little over a month away. I wonder when media day 2021 and training camp start. Can't be far off.
Yeah, when will this interminable offseason be over with??

Cap

Post by Cap »

Training camp starts on September 28. https://www.nba.com/key-dates

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

We still haven't landed a replacement for Saric or Criag.

Basically, a back up power forward / center with range, or athletic stopper at 3/4 who can hit the 3.

Arguably Jalen Smith and Cam Johnson fill those roles respectively, but Smith is what he is (bad), and if either of Johnson or Craig miss and time we're really boned. (We've in better shape if Bridges gets hurt, Johnson starts and Nader back fills as back up SF). But still, that's a LOT of minutes on Craig if Bridges goes down.

Front office and Williams aren't dumb. They know that one injury and we're right back where we were during the finals. I really do think we're holding out to see what we can pull in with the remainder of MLE or the injured player exception.
Last edited by Wormwood on Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wormwood wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:09 am

Basically, a back up power forward / center with range, or athletic stopper at 3/4 who can hit the 3.

Arguably Jalen Smith and Cam Johnson fill those roles respectively, but Smith is what he is (bad), and if either of Johnson or Craig miss and time we're really boned. (We've in better shape if Bridges gets hurt, Johnson starts and Nader back fills as back up SF). But still, that's a LOT of minutes on Craig if Bridges goes down.
Craig = Crowder?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood wrote:

Front office and Williams aren't dumb. They know that one injury and we're right back where we were during the finals. I really do think we're holding out to see what we can pull in with the remainder of MLE or the injured player exception.
McGee is a different player, but he’s going to take the minutes for one of those roles. Ideally you’d get some sort of Saric/Craig mix with the last spot. Thad Young is almost exactly that, so that’s what I’m hoping for.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:28 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:31 pm
Yeah, when will this interminable offseason be over with??
Right?!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:37 am
Training camp starts on September 28. https://www.nba.com/key-dates
Thanks, Cap. Less than a month away! I'm guessing our Media Day will be on Monday, September 27th.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

ArizonaSports was sharing some headline Thursday or Friday about CP3 and saying there may be beef between him and Ayton? Apparently he was saying some really bad stuff about Ayton. I didn't get to the actual story because I had a work call and it was announced just before a commercial break. Does anyone have the details about what they were talking about?

Edit: Apparently it's this quote (Google is my friend). It sounds like ArizonaSports was trying to build fake drama. This just sounds like tough love and something Ayton needed. Thank God for the Point God.

“Me and Deandre Ayton was getting into it like hell to start the season,” Paul admitted, via Dana Scott of azcentral. “Because I’m hard on him and I ain’t no loser …

“My thing is you’ll find a way and that’s the hardest part for me because I always say this: Show me somebody that’s OK with losing and I’ll show you a loser. Like, for real, for real. I ain’t never gonna be cool with losing. Ever.”
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:43 pm
ArizonaSports was sharing some headline Thursday or Friday about CP3 and saying there may be beef between him and Ayton? Apparently he was saying some really bad stuff about Ayton. I didn't get to the actual story because I had a work call and it was announced just before a commercial break. Does anyone have the details about what they were talking about?

Edit: Apparently it's this quote (Google is my friend). It sounds like ArizonaSports was trying to build fake drama. This just sounds like tough love and something Ayton needed. Thank God for the Point God.

“Me and Deandre Ayton was getting into it like hell to start the season,” Paul admitted, via Dana Scott of azcentral. “Because I’m hard on him and I ain’t no loser …

“My thing is you’ll find a way and that’s the hardest part for me because I always say this: Show me somebody that’s OK with losing and I’ll show you a loser. Like, for real, for real. I ain’t never gonna be cool with losing. Ever.”
Yeah, just AZ Sports trying to drum up drama where there is none. Nothing to see here.
"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:11 am
Wormwood wrote:

Craig = Crowder?

No, I meant Craig. He turned out to be a very useful back up when Saric went down. We haven't replaced him, and Smith looks lost most of the time.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »