The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:14 pm
It doesn't really feel like a Jones move to just discard Saric in a trade right after he signed here and got hurt by no fault of his own. Jones seems to be very aware of how players feel, and not one to think of players as just assets to be moved at a whim.
We don't have many moveable contracts. If we want to improve via trade, someone's feelings are going to get hurt. It's just business.

Jones also brought in Rubio and Oubre, both of whom meant a lot to the franchise. I don't think he hesitated to include them in a Paul deal.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Well maybe but that's just a bad trade.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Guys.....

Why are we talking about Christian Wood ? 😀🤐
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:40 am
And I agree on Blake. He’d be a nice fit in the Saric role. I’d still want another 3rd string true 5 on the roster as well though.
Blake is a gigantic douche bag. I don’t want to have to cheer for him

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:40 am
And I agree on Blake. He’d be a nice fit in the Saric role. I’d still want another 3rd string true 5 on the roster as well though.
Blake is a gigantic douche bag. I don’t want to have to cheer for him
Kinda felt the same about Chris Paul a year ago.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

BAMF wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:59 pm
For who? Even if you think Dario > Plumlee (which is debatable), Dario is likely out for the entire season. That’s $9M of dead money.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya getting Plumlee for moving back 8 spots would be a great move.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think there's any chance in hell Detroit would agree to that exact trade, so of course it would be good for the Suns.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:29 pm
BAMF wrote:
For who? Even if you think Dario > Plumlee (which is debatable), Dario is likely out for the entire season. That’s $9M of dead money.
Plumlee is slow and doesn't fit so first it's a bad fit and also its not really dead money its half of his money for anyone who wants the exemption. So teams that want that bit of wiggle room and want to get rid of someone to free up some space would like to trade for him. Again the Plumlee trade is a bad trade.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

BAMF wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:49 pm
Shabazz wrote:
BAMF wrote:
Plumlee is slow and doesn't fit so first it's a bad fit and also its not really dead money its half of his money for anyone who wants the exemption. So teams that want that bit of wiggle room and want to get rid of someone to free up some space would like to trade for him. Again the Plumlee trade is a bad trade.
I guess agree to disagree on that. He's not my first choice, but I think Plumlee is actually a good fit as a backup C. He's definitely not as slow as Dario. But just so you know, you don't gain cap space by trading for Dario. His full salary still counts against the cap and it needs to be paid (although insurance probably covers a high percentage). You just get an injury exception that allows you to exceed the cap to sign a player for $4.3M, so you're trading for the right to pay another player money while still paying the injured player.

LVSunsFAN

Post by LVSunsFAN »

No Plumlee please.

There is talk of the Cavs buying Kevin Love out.
I'd sign him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hmm, Love isn’t bad if he can stay healthy. He provides rebounding and shooting. Don’t think he gives us much of a defensive presence though. Plumlee is a bigger body and more athletic. I think I’d rather have Plumlee at this point.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Love's name will be out there all offseason until he gets bought out. Saw something where BK would be interested too. Health and availability are the biggest factors with him. Also wonder if he would take on the starting role and slide to the 5 in smaller lineups or come off the bench. If we add a starting level 4, it pushes Crowder to the bench and creates a bit of a jam with him and Cam Johnson. We did it this year for that stretch with Frank starting, but he was only starting and playing around 15 minutes so it didn't impact their minutes too much.

I guess the bigger question is whether we think we can run it back with the same starters, add more/better defensive bigs off the bench, and be better. Or, can we really only get better by adding a starting level 4 with more size and rebounding.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it'd be great to grab Kevin Love if he'd take a very low / minimum contract. He played poorly last year, but I wonder how much of that was motivation and situation. He also stunk on the Olympics, but I don't think that is a good situation for him, either. I think he could contribute next year on a contending team.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:32 pm
BAMF wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:49 pm
Shabazz wrote:
BAMF wrote:
I guess agree to disagree on that. He's not my first choice, but I think Plumlee is actually a good fit as a backup C. He's definitely not as slow as Dario. But just so you know, you don't gain cap space by trading for Dario. His full salary still counts against the cap and it needs to be paid (although insurance probably covers a high percentage). You just get an injury exception that allows you to exceed the cap to sign a player for $4.3M, so you're trading for the right to pay another player money while still paying the injured player.
So cap may have been the incorrect word and I should not have used it. and should have said spending money. That is more money for the receiving team and if you trade someone out for someone you do not want on your books in the future that is freeing up "spending you can do" for the short term. Suffice to say you get 4.3 wiggle room and whom ever (Jalen Smith, pick or Cam Johnson) for getting rid of someone you don't want on your roster. (Wood (bad attitude), Sexton (they like Garland better and don't want to pay him) etc etc)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

First Willie, now Bower.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Here comes Danny Ange!

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

BAMF wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:06 pm
Here comes Danny Ange!
Maybe he'll cover Paxson or Elie this time!

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:38 pm
BAMF wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:06 pm
Here comes Danny Ange!
Maybe he'll cover Paxson or Elie this time!
lol Yea I doubt it. His on court decision making deserved Bobs towel throw. Going to double Grant when Paxton is on fire the whole series how stupid.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d still be very interested