The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by pickle »

I meant that he’s more athletic than Saric, so take that out and their game style is actually kind of similar.

Really don’t think Thad would’ve done any more than Crowder did. Don’t think those two inches made a difference in the finals.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know that we win the Finals with Thad, but I'd like our chances a lot more.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:48 pm
pickle wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:13 pm
Would Thad have really helped us get the championship? The way the refs called fouls for Giannis, unless we had the Giannis Stopper Blake Griffin, minor NBA names with slightly bigger bodies (Thad is 6'8 but I think slightly less bulky than Jae) probably wasn't going to cut it. I actually am quite high on McGee. He may not be a super duper player anymore, but his mere presence will give DA the confidence to be aggressive.

I like Thad Young and he's a very credible passer. He doesn't have a tremendous face up / break it down type game, at least from the few Bulls games I watched last year. He's more of a high post facilitator in the Bogut mode and very similar to Saric if you take out the athleticism and 3 point shooting. The Bulls announcers called him Thagic (for Magic) throughout the games I watched, and he was averaging a high number of assists from the bench in 25-28 mpg.

One name I'm interested in is Kyle Anderson / Slomo. His age and contract should be a better fit for our group and I'd be more willing to include that second rounder in that case, though he's also not known as a bulky defender.
1st paragraph: Ya I really think we do win. Our biggest problem was we had literally no one behind Ayton. We were forced to play Ayton like 42 to 45 minutes a game and he wore down. I’m not saying Thad would’ve been a Giannis stopper, but he would have been a hell of a lot better than Frank. At the very least he would have allowed us to let Ayton rest another 5-7 minutes a game. Even with Giannis on the bench we couldn’t survive without Ayton. We could have if we had Thad.

No Thad isn’t much bigger than our other wings, but he’s taller than Jae and stronger than Cam or Mikal. He’s 6’8 235 and he’s a very good defensive player.

2nd Paragraph: There are some Saric similarities…but am I mistaken or are you calling Saric the better athlete? I think you’ve got that backwards. But yes, Thad doesn’t have the same 3 point shot as Saric.

3rd Paragraph: I do really like Kyle Anderson and think he’d be a great fit. Though I’d trust Thad more on defense. Kyle would be a wonderful offensive fit at the 4 and is a smart, good defender, but he doesn’t give us the ability to go small. He can’t be a small ball 5. Though with McGee that might not be needed so much.
It felt like that to me too, but when I just looked it up he averaged 37.5 minutes per game in the Finals.

Even Paul played about the same as Ayton. Really only Jae played less.

Even if you take out the blowout where he only played 24 minutes, his average is just over 40.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I guess he played, 45, 42, 39, 39, 36, and 24 minutes. So I did exaggerate a bit. Still the main point was we couldn’t survive with him off the court. Though I guess that mostly shows up in just a couple games as well. Game 3 we were -6 in his 24 minutes and -14 in his 24 minutes on the bench. The one that hurt is game 5. We were -10 in the 3 minutes he sat and lost by 4.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:27 am
I meant that he’s more athletic than Saric, so take that out and their game style is actually kind of similar.

Really don’t think Thad would’ve done any more than Crowder did. Don’t think those two inches made a difference in the finals.
Gotcha, that makes sense. And Thad may have not done anymore than Crowder, but he would have done more than Frank. Frank is the minutes we’d be replacing.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I remember him being on the Knicks a few years back...should be a good training camp body

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:45 am
I guess he played, 45, 42, 39, 39, 36, and 24 minutes. So I did exaggerate a bit. Still the main point was we couldn’t survive with him off the court. Though I guess that mostly shows up in just a couple games as well. Game 3 we were -6 in his 24 minutes and -14 in his 24 minutes on the bench. The one that hurt is game 5. We were -10 in the 3 minutes he sat and lost by 4.
It still hasn't hit me that we lost 4 straight games in the NBA finals. I still haven't read the game 6 thread. :(

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 am
Split T wrote:
It still hasn't hit me that we lost 4 straight games in the NBA finals. I still haven't read the game 6 thread. :(
Agree, Indy.
Winning the first two only to go down in flames the last four was a deep gut punch. :cry:
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I have friends that I support on a small Lakers podcast, and I get reminded every time I say hi in the chat that the Suns lost 4 games in a row. They think they are funny, and very cocky about their Lakers. I'm looking forward to Oct 22nd, and I hope the Suns don't let me down.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:31 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Agree, Indy.
Winning the first two only to go down in flames the last four was a deep gut punch. :cry:
Milwaukee did a great job of taking advantage of mismatches and the Suns just didn't have any big bodies that they could use to solve those mismatches. Some of us spent the whole year saying they needed to address the backup center spot - and it reared up and bit them in the ass. There was just nobody to help Ayton guard the basket or anyone who could slow down Giannis even a little.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Game 5 haunts me the most. We played so well offensively in that game…It’s just hard to understand how we lost. It took Jrue going nuclear and us having a massive meltdown with Ayton on the bench for 3 minutes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Game 4 was the one that got me. Literally. That was my heart attack game and the one where we blew a 4th quarter lead that would have put us up 3-1 in the series.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:39 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:31 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Agree, Indy.
Milwaukee did a great job of taking advantage of mismatches and the Suns just didn't have any big bodies that they could use to solve those mismatches. Some of us spent the whole year saying they needed to address the backup center spot - and it reared up and bit them in the ass. There was just nobody to help Ayton guard the basket or anyone who could slow down Giannis even a little.
All year long everybody here knew we were short (no pun intended) of big bodies. Ass-bitten indeed we were.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We're never going to have a more favorable break of luck in all the playoff series than we just had this past year. Every round there was some major injury or surprise that worked in our favor. It will be extremely difficult to get all the way back again. The fact that the Nuggets and Clippers will have major injuries most or all of the year gives me some hope, but we'll still have to go through teams like the Lakers and Jazz in the West, and the Nets or Bucks if we are lucky enough to make it to the Finals.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Anyone know what kind of shape Deandre is in? My hope is that he comes to camp not too bad out of shape.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not sure, but I heard all but Booker and CP3 have been in Phoenix running with each other on the court.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Ayton ranked 35th best player in the league by ESPN.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/322 ... 1-22-50-26
Spoiler: show/hide

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:32 pm
We're never going to have a more favorable break of luck in all the playoff series than we just had this past year. Every round there was some major injury or surprise that worked in our favor. It will be extremely difficult to get all the way back again. The fact that the Nuggets and Clippers will have major injuries most or all of the year gives me some hope, but we'll still have to go through teams like the Lakers and Jazz in the West, and the Nets or Bucks if we are lucky enough to make it to the Finals.
Until the last one. Giannis was supposedly hurt in the previous round but came out and played the best basketball of his career and showed no worse for the wear. We lost our back up center after 3 minutes of playtime and it turns out both Paul and Book were playing hurt.
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:35 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:32 pm
Until the last one. Giannis was supposedly hurt in the previous round but came out and played the best basketball of his career and showed no worse for the wear. We lost our back up center after 3 minutes of playtime and it turns out both Paul and Book were playing hurt.
Mori I disagree, Book had his nose broken and CP3 had his wrists busted at least half of the playoffs. The Suns suffered major injuries but just played through them all until Dario's ACL. The Suns would have won the title without that last one IMHO. It was very close.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 pm
Ayton ranked 35th best player in the league by ESPN.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/322 ... 1-22-50-26
Spoiler: show/hide
Book at 15 and CP3 at 13. Bridges was 66 I believe.