The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by virtual9mm »

BAMF wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:42 pm
Bucktastic365 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:11 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:27 pm
Is there a long, athletic 4 that shoots 3s, creates shots for himself and others, and can defend 1-5 that we can add? I’d try to do that, haha
Christian Wood was my 1st thought. Miles Turner?
Dario on JC would make the deal work and maybe add our pick to sweeten it.
Christian Wood replacing Jae Crowder would turn the Suns into a championship team. But he's worth so much more than Jae or an injured Dario. Imagine Wood playing alongside Ayton, rotating to cover the basket after Ayton stops the primary drive and then getting the block or defensive rebound. And when Ayton is out, Wood can play a small ball center or play alongside a Jalen Smith. If this happened, the Suns win the finals in 6 regardless of the refs.

Indeed, Wood is the perfect complement to the current team. I'm starting to get a glimmer of the first trades I would seriously consider. Dario + 3 (late) first rounders or maybe Cam Johnson + 1 first rounder. I love Cam but there's just no room in the rotation for Bridges, Cam, and Crowder. But having a logjam isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe you play Bridges more at the 2 as Booker's backup.

This leads to another question -- if we only kept two of Bridges, Cam, and Crowder, who stays and who goes? Obviously we'd like to keep Bridges and Cam. But a vet like Crowder has much more value to a contender than a bottom-feeding Houston and it might be bad karma if we recruit him just to trade him. We don't know what Bridges' ceiling is quite yet -- but I just love Cam Johnson's shot, hustle, and reliability.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Edit: Jalen Smith, if he still has any value, should be thrown into the mix for a Christian Wood trade since Smith projects as a Wood if he can develop. The alternative, of course, is if Jalen shows massive growth in summer league.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I got excited enough to look some stuff up and Wood may indeed be on the trading block. But the price will be high:

https://spacecityscoop.com/2021/07/04/t ... tian-wood/
A cursory glance at some popular hypothetical trade proposals might have Raphael Stone salivating: PJ Washington and the 11th overall pick. James Wiseman and the 7th overall pick. Rui Hachimura and Deni Avdija. For a rebuilding club, that is tremendous value, and, potentially, too tremendous to pass on.
Cam Johnson + Dario Saric's contract + Jalen Smith plus as many 1st rounders that are needed (hopefully just one)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Christian Wood has a reputation for not being a great teammate, and I'm still not sure he'd maintain the same production in a team oriented system like the Suns.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We're not trading for Wood a year after he signed with the Rockets and I don't think he fits the "culture".

This article kicks around the idea of Nance Jr, tho I'm not sure if the Cavs are looking to move him and/or if we have the assets to send out.

This article mentions Blake and Bullock as two former CP teammates who could be on the list. Not sure what CP and Blake's relationship is like but he crossed my mind as a cheap vet option at the 4/5. Wouldn't help much defensively but perfect fit for the offense, could play some 4 next to DA or 5 in smaller lineups. Health is always a concern tho and I think Monty and the team wants guys who are reliable and not missing games/practices for load management. Bullock had a good year with the Knicks but I think we need more versatility and not just another shooter. His shooting #s dropped in the playoffs when the Hawks schemed for him to do more than just shoot.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Nerlens Noel will get a multiyear deal, maybe from the Knicks, but if not he'd be a nice 5 off the bench. It'd probably be a longshot with only the 4mil DPE (if we apply for and get it) but maybe CP can make a call to him since they played in OKC last year and Noel had one of his better years there.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:37 pm
Christian Wood has a reputation for not being a great teammate, and I'm still not sure he'd maintain the same production in a team oriented system like the Suns.
FF and Shel -- interesting. I did not realize that he had the rep of being a bad teammate. I did read this, though, which seems to support this point of view and that he might be available:

https://www.audacy.com/sports/nba/nba-a ... te-to-have

Shel -- I wonder if Houston picked up Wood back when they thought they could keep Harden and now they'll just want to tank.

I do remember Monty talking about how the team could afford to have one mercenary in addition to the established team, with the right culture in place. Maybe Wood is that guy.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:45 am
We're not trading for Wood a year after he signed with the Rockets and I don't think he fits the "culture".

This article kicks around the idea of Nance Jr, tho I'm not sure if the Cavs are looking to move him and/or if we have the assets to send out.
I looked up Nance Jr. and I love that he can shoot and is a terror on defense. What does he bring, though, that Jae Crowder does not? He's probably a bit longer but I'm not sure he moves the needle as a secondary shotblocker and rebounder that's still mobile enough to play outside.

https://www.fearthesword.com/2021/7/7/2 ... son-review
Last edited by virtual9mm on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC wrote:
This article mentions Blake and Bullock as two former CP teammates who could be on the list. Not sure what CP and Blake's relationship is like but he crossed my mind as a cheap vet option at the 4/5. Wouldn't help much defensively but perfect fit for the offense, could play some 4 next to DA or 5 in smaller lineups. Health is always a concern tho and I think Monty and the team wants guys who are reliable and not missing games/practices for load management. Bullock had a good year with the Knicks but I think we need more versatility and not just another shooter. His shooting #s dropped in the playoffs when the Hawks schemed for him to do more than just shoot.
I do think that Blake could be a good Saric replacement, he doesn't really need a big contract and would be good for a connector role.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

For the 2020-21 season, Holmes’ played under a $5 million-dollar contract. That number should not inflate much when his team strikes up a new one, still making him a budget-friendly acquisition.
https://valleyofthesuns.com/2021/07/22/ ... cy-target/

If this is really true, Holmes as backup C and occasional PF starter would be a no brainer.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Holmes is gonna get 10m per IMO. Probably from Dallas.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya Holmes will get more than we can offer

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:28 am
ShelC wrote:

I looked up Nance Jr. and I love that he can shoot and is a terror on defense. What does he bring, though, that Jae Crowder does not? He's probably a bit longer but I'm not sure he moves the needle as a secondary shotblocker and rebounder that's still mobile enough to play outside.

https://www.fearthesword.com/2021/7/7/2 ... son-review
He’s a better athlete and a more versatile defender. He can play as a small ball 5 a little.

Split T

Post by Split T »

And I agree on Blake. He’d be a nice fit in the Saric role. I’d still want another 3rd string true 5 on the roster as well though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nance is 28 and can't seem to stay healthy. He's still a bit of an unknown for me. And I don't think an injured Dario, Jevon Carter and the 29th pick hold a lot of value. I doubt we'd move Crowder unless it were for a bigger name player and we'd probably have to include Cam Johnson in most deals.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:25 am
Ya Holmes will get more than we can offer
And he is going to want to start, and not alongside a guy like Ayton.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This one is interesting:

I just don’t think Detroit would do it. Dario is dead money and the difference between that and a productive Plumlee is probably not worth moving up 8 spots in the draft.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Good target:

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:01 pm
This one is interesting:

I just don’t think Detroit would do it. Dario is dead money and the difference between that and a productive Plumlee is probably not worth moving up 8 spots in the draft.
No

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It doesn't really feel like a Jones move to just discard Saric in a trade right after he signed here and got hurt by no fault of his own. Jones seems to be very aware of how players feel, and not one to think of players as just assets to be moved at a whim.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass