The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:27 am
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:23 pm
Well Duane Rankin is the Suns beat writer and he can't even write a grammatically correct sentence. So I guess the Republic's standards are not exceedingly high.
I think Rankin is very good. Of all the local folks writing stories about the Suns, my top 3 Gina, Kellan, and Rankin. I think Gina is excellent at the human interest aspect. Kellan is great at the X/Os. And Duane is very good at getting honest, direct answers from players/staff.
I don't have a problem with him as a reporter per se. I just don't see how he has a job as a writer when his English writing skills are severely lacking.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:50 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:27 am
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:23 pm
Well Duane Rankin is the Suns beat writer and he can't even write a grammatically correct sentence. So I guess the Republic's standards are not exceedingly high.
I think Rankin is very good. Of all the local folks writing stories about the Suns, my top 3 Gina, Kellan, and Rankin. I think Gina is excellent at the human interest aspect. Kellan is great at the X/Os. And Duane is very good at getting honest, direct answers from players/staff.
I don't have a problem with him as a reporter per se. I just don't see how he has a job as a writer when his English writing skills are severely lacking.
He isn't a novelist or a long-form reporter on international business. He is a sports reporter. Their job is to convey messages about sports. Whether or not a sentence is actually a sentence, or written grammatically correct isn't near as important as "did he convey his message to the average reader." I think he is very good at that.

I used to be a big stickler for grammar. And when I am reading a book or a resume or an industry magazine, I still am. But reading tweets or message board posts or basic 500-1000 word articles on what a sports team did yesterday or plans to do tomorrow--grammar and proper sentence structure just isn't something I care about anymore. I guess I am getting old.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I know some of you aren’t big fans of flex…and while I think he overplayed what he knew for attention, I think he might abridor have a source in the agency that represents CP3

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m no longer on the trade Ayton bandwagon…he made some huge strides in the postseason…but there is 1 Ayton move I would consider. I never actually believed it was feasible, but after the jump he made and the rough situation in Minny, I think there’s a chance an Ayton-KAT swap could happen. How does everyone else feel, if KAT was available, would you trade Ayton for him?

Definitely takes us a step back defensively, but I think more than makes up for it on offense. KAT would be the perfect 5 in our system.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:26 pm
I’m no longer on the trade Ayton bandwagon…he made some huge strides in the postseason…but there is 1 Ayton move I would consider. I never actually believed it was feasible, but after the jump he made and the rough situation in Minny, I think there’s a chance an Ayton-KAT swap could happen. How does everyone else feel, if KAT was available, would you trade Ayton for him?

Definitely takes us a step back defensively, but I think more than makes up for it on offense. KAT would be the perfect 5 in our system.
I think it's something that would seriously be considered next offseason by both teams.

For right now, I go back and forth on it. We'd need to get a better rim protector at the 4.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:

I think we would end up being a top 3 offense, and a middle of the pack, to bottom third defense. I don't think that gets you where we want to be. (And this is coming from the guy that said I would trade Ayton for SGA straight up 6 months ago)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’m off the trade DA bandwagon.

I think he was awful offensively in the finals, and he regressed back to his scared self as we lost control of the series. However, the rest of the playoffs he may have been our most consistent and complete player.

I said when he was really slumping I’d trade him for Jarrett Allen. That’s not happening any more.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He was out played by Giannis in the Finals which wasn't at all surprising.

I just want to see a dedication to developing his offensive skills. He must become a reliable threat to create his own offense. Same can be said for Bridges and his next contract.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:40 pm
Split T wrote:

I think it's something that would seriously be considered next offseason by both teams.

For right now, I go back and forth on it. We'd need to get a better rim protector at the 4.
It is a little trickier cap wise this offseason…Think Suns would have to send out Ayton, Saric, Carter, and their 1st(post draft).

Also Minny probably wants another year with their new coach. You’re probably right that next season makes a lot more sense.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:41 pm
Split T wrote:

I think we would end up being a top 3 offense, and a middle of the pack, to bottom third defense. I don't think that gets you where we want to be. (And this is coming from the guy that said I would trade Ayton for SGA straight up 6 months ago)
Agree. The Suns would lose the defense that got them to the Finals. No thank you.

Now...if you could somehow get Towns to play NEXT to Ayton...

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Let’s see how things shake out free agency wise and who Book, CP3 can recruit. Big shake ups might throw team identity out. The west is still wide open.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

For me you keep the core as much as possible, especially after a Finals appearance with a group of mostly young guys just coming into their own who hadn’t even seen the playoffs before. For me Booker, Ayton, CP3 are the big three and Bridges and Johnson are up and coming. Would like to retain Payne and Crowder if possible unless an upgrade is to be had. After that anyone is fair game imo. Still no opinion of Jalen Smith yet for me. Too small a sample size.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:38 pm
For me you keep the core as much as possible, especially after a Finals appearance with a group of mostly young guys just coming into their own who hadn’t even seen the playoffs before. For me Booker, Ayton, CP3 are the big three and Bridges and Johnson are up and coming. Would like to retain Payne and Crowder if possible unless an upgrade is to be had. After that anyone is fair game imo. Still no opinion of Jalen Smith yet for me. Too small a sample size.
Certainly lots of internal growth to be realized still

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

My Free Agent Target List. Each player ranked within their tier.

Expensive tier:
Kelly Olynyk
Daniel Theis
Paul Milsap
Evan Fournier

Mid-tier:
Nerlens Noel
Jamychal Green
Malik Monk
Alec Burks
Jarred Vanderbilt
Cody Zeller
Zach Collins
Nemanja Bjelica
Otto Porter

Cheaper Options:
Justise Winslow
Khem Birch
Isaiah Hartenstein
Edmond Sumner
Wily Hernangomez
Gorgui Dieng
Jordan McLaughlin
DJ Wilson
Trey Lyles

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

James Johnson could be a sleeper pick up. He plays bigger at 6-8, versatile defensively but mostly a 4. Good passer and ballhandler and good enough shooter. Maybe a bigger Torrey Craig? Not super reliable in terms of health tho, but an older vet who could play that connector role and physical presence/enforcer off the bench.

carey

Post by carey »

Hi, how is everyone? Took me a long time to decompress after the finals collapse. Hope everyone is well.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:12 am
James Johnson could be a sleeper pick up. He plays bigger at 6-8, versatile defensively but mostly a 4. Good passer and ballhandler and good enough shooter. Maybe a bigger Torrey Craig? Not super reliable in terms of health tho, but an older vet who could play that connector role and physical presence/enforcer off the bench.
I left him off my list because of the Ayton cheap shot. Also, because he completely cratered as a 3 point shooter.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wasn't aware of the cheapshot I don't think. He seems a little flaky and he might not have the best rep around the league. He seemed ready to break out just a few seasons ago. Maybe he got that contract from the Heat and started taking it easy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:22 pm

Expensive tier:
Kelly Olynyk
Daniel Theis
Paul Milsap
Evan Fournier

Mid-tier:
Nerlens Noel
Jamychal Green
Malik Monk
Alec Burks
Jarred Vanderbilt
Cody Zeller
Zach Collins
Nemanja Bjelica
Otto Porter

Cheaper Options:
Justise Winslow
Khem Birch
Isaiah Hartenstein
Edmond Sumner
Wily Hernangomez
Gorgui Dieng
Jordan McLaughlin
DJ Wilson
Trey Lyles
No McGee?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:22 pm

Expensive tier:
Kelly Olynyk
Daniel Theis
Paul Milsap
Evan Fournier

Mid-tier:
Nerlens Noel
Jamychal Green
Malik Monk
Alec Burks
Jarred Vanderbilt
Cody Zeller
Zach Collins
Nemanja Bjelica
Otto Porter

Cheaper Options:
Justise Winslow
Khem Birch
Isaiah Hartenstein
Edmond Sumner
Wily Hernangomez
Gorgui Dieng
Jordan McLaughlin
DJ Wilson
Trey Lyles
I rather like or am indifferent to most of these, except Kelly Olynyk is EW. We have a poor man’s version in Frank. We need a bruiser.

I like Green + Noel or McGee. Theis too