The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Are we really comparing lotto picks with TyShon "summer league reserve" Alexander?

Like Wormwood said, he is more along the lines of Davon Reed, Alec Peters, or DJ Strawberry and other irrelevant names that cashed-in on a minimum salary a never were heard off again in the NBA.

There is an scenary where either Jones or Sarver were like:

"this kid is not going to make it" and the other said:

"let's cut him, then we can bring another project from the G-League later"

The G-League is becoming a true source of developed talent, instead of this traditional internships called "20th man rookie". I rather keep an eye there league wide and snatch someone BETTER than TyShon, and just then START paying him to play actual minutes, even trash time. Not even Jalen was so deeply out of rotation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:09 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:43 am
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:06 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:42 pm
I don’t think this will really move the needle at all for us over the next couple years, but I won’t be surprised to see Ty-Shon turn himself into a useful piece somewhere else sometime soon. He was about as cheap as you can get and only taking up a 2-way slot that we probably won’t even use. This just feels like Sarver getting cheap over a few hundred thousand dollars. I hate it.
We’re gunning for the Finals again and taking on every team coming at us thinking they smell blood in the water. There isn’t time to develop youth who hasn’t a chance. No way he would have any run next year barring a tragic injury to Book. We’re in contention mode now. Anyone on the squad has to be able play meaningful minutes— at least in the regular season. Suns will need home court throughout the playoffs again to run through a healthy Jazz or Nuggets or Lakers.
Similar things were likely said to justify selling the Rondo pick and trading the Iggy pick and and giving up 2 firsts for someone to take a productive Kurt Thomas.
I can't like this post enough times.
Give me a break! It's not even close to the same thing.
Nobody is saying Alexander = Rondo. People are saying that it is another penny-wise, pound-foolish move that has plagued our franchise since Sarver took over, and directly led to the 10 years of misery we experienced after Nash fell off a cliff. We had built no foundation to lean upon during those years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:43 am
Are we really comparing lotto picks with TyShon "summer league reserve" Alexander?

Like Wormwood said, he is more along the lines of Davon Reed, Alec Peters, or DJ Strawberry and other irrelevant names that cashed-in on a minimum salary a never were heard off again in the NBA.

The G-League is becoming a true source of developed talent, instead of this traditional internships called "20th man rookie". I rather keep an eye there league wide and snatch someone BETTER than TyShon, and just then START paying him to play actual minutes, even trash time. Not even Jalen was so deeply out of rotation.
And people here said the same thing about Melton and Derrick Jones Junior. Some make it, most don't. But why give up on using the cheapest option you have? And one that doesn't even count against your roster? Every team is given a gift of spending (relatively) nothing on 2 players every year that aren't guaranteed and don't count against your roster so you can take a chance and develop raw, young talent. And our team has said, no thanks. We only used one spot last year, too. It is just foolish long-term team building concepts.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:49 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:

We’re gunning for the Finals again and taking on every team coming at us thinking they smell blood in the water. There isn’t time to develop youth who hasn’t a chance. No way he would have any run next year barring a tragic injury to Book. We’re in contention mode now. Anyone on the squad has to be able play meaningful minutes— at least in the regular season. Suns will need home court throughout the playoffs again to run through a healthy Jazz or Nuggets or Lakers.
Similar things were likely said to justify selling the Rondo pick and trading the Iggy pick and and giving up 2 firsts for someone to take a productive Kurt Thomas.
Nobody is saying Alexander = Rondo. People are saying that it is another penny-wise, pound-foolish move that has plagued our franchise since Sarver took over, and directly led to the 10 years of misery we experienced after Nash fell off a cliff. We had built no foundation to lean upon during those years.
^

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:50 am
Do we think there’s another move this offseason? Not counting Bridges and Ayton extensions. I’m starting to think we are done and will keep that last roster spot and our exceptions for buyout candidates during the season. That’s not the worst idea, but I would have loved to add 1 more piece(we have 2, maybe 3 exceptions left) with 1 of our exceptions and then still had the other exception come buyout time. We’d have to cut a player though and Sarver doesn’t believe in cutting guaranteed salaries.
I think signing a bought-out Kevin Love is the last move.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:04 pm
Split T wrote:
Do we think there’s another move this offseason? Not counting Bridges and Ayton extensions. I’m starting to think we are done and will keep that last roster spot and our exceptions for buyout candidates during the season. That’s not the worst idea, but I would have loved to add 1 more piece(we have 2, maybe 3 exceptions left) with 1 of our exceptions and then still had the other exception come buyout time. We’d have to cut a player though and Sarver doesn’t believe in cutting guaranteed salaries.
Ya that’s what I’m expecting

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:32 am
I would have understood the Tyshon move if it frees up space and money for another move like IDK MAYBE GETTING IN ON THE MARKANNEN TRADE TO LAND NANCE YOU FUCKING IDIOTS
You've got to quit holding back and let us know how you really feel.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:52 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:43 am

And people here said the same thing about Melton and Derrick Jones Junior. Some make it, most don't. But why give up on using the cheapest option you have? And one that doesn't even count against your roster? Every team is given a gift of spending (relatively) nothing on 2 players every year that aren't guaranteed and don't count against your roster so you can take a chance and develop raw, young talent. And our team has said, no thanks. We only used one spot last year, too. It is just foolish long-term team building concepts.
I don't recall that. Both of those guys showed promise.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:

Maybe. But it's not even close to the impact of those other moves mentioned. Why continue to spend on somebody you have no faith in? Maybe we do sign another two way player. Let's wait and see before we jump to conclusions. Even if we don't, I don't think this move compare in any way other than it saving a little bit of money. Maybe. Unless they give another guy a chance in that slot.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Cap wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:15 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Suns will need home court throughout the playoffs again to run through a healthy Jazz or Nuggets or Lakers.
Not worried about the Warriors?
Not yet. At this point Klay has to prove he is the same player he was before. My guess is he isn’t the same defender any more and loses a step moving without the ball. He’ll still knock down shots that’ll keep the Johnny Box Scores happy but Warriors have a lot to prove at this point to say they’re contenders.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:25 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:04 pm
Split T wrote:
Ya that’s what I’m expecting
Concur. Love isn't in the plans for the future, CLE is obviously moving on. Love described James Jones as his best friend, and Phoenix is kind of an ideal spot for a veteran PF/C looking for 20-25 MPG on a championship caliber team with good locker room chemistry to land. The only question is if Love would be willing to buy in to the Jones/Williams mentality that everyone MUST buy into their role, and do what it takes to win, rather than pad their stats / play for their next contract.

At this stage in Love's career, I suspect he probably is. It's easy to forget that just a few years ago Love was one of the top players in the league both in terms of PER and RPM.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:32 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Maybe. But it's not even close to the impact of those other moves mentioned. Why continue to spend on somebody you have no faith in? Maybe we do sign another two way player. Let's wait and see before we jump to conclusions. Even if we don't, I don't think this move compare in any way other than it saving a little bit of money. Maybe. Unless they give another guy a chance in that slot.
Of course it isn't right now. These types of decisions come back to hurt later. And again, nobody is saying that he would have turned into a valuable player. We are lamenting the decision to once again focus on right now without regard to the future.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aren't most people expecting Love to sign with the Lakers? I mean if he is just taking a min deal, that probably makes more sense for him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well we do have the rest of our MLE to offer to outbid LA

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm highly skeptical of the value Kevin Love could bring to the Suns. He hasn't been good for a long time and, even worse, he's looked uninterested in playing NBA basketball more recently.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:37 pm
I'm highly skeptical of the value Kevin Love could bring to the Suns. He hasn't been good for a long time and, even worse, he's looked uninterested in playing NBA basketball more recently.
I can’t speak to his health, but I think he’ll be a lot more engaged playing a role on a contender, similar to Blake Griffin on the Nets.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I think Love could be a sneaky good option for us…with the big caveat being health. I think he’d fill the Saric role nicely

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think our biggest need is a 4 that can play alongside in big lineups and provide credible weak-side help. In that respect, Thad Young is a better fit. But Love has other strengths.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Oh I’d definitely take Thad over Love…I’d just rather play Love over say Frank.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:48 pm
Oh I’d definitely take Thad over Love…I’d just rather play Love over say Frank.
It definitely would have been nice to have Love on the court in the Finals instead of Frank.

And Love can still rebound (a big need for the Suns).
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.