The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by The Bobster »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:56 am
Frank started next to Ayton for part of the season, and he can hit the three, so he can definitely play PF. But I would still prefer to add a PF, unless Smith is ready to shine.
But he can't guard anybody. That's the problem.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:54 am
da_suns_fan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:39 am
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am
They still have two roster spots. I imagine one will go to a forward, one will go to a guard. Probably a big forward and point guard.

SF - Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Abdul Nader
PF - Jae Crowder, Cam Johnson, Jalen Smith, Frank Kaminsky
C - Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky
SG - Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
PG - Chris Paul, Cameron Payne
Bolded changes.
Not sure about the Frank change, but yeah, Cam played +90% of his time at the 4. He spent as much time at the 5 as he did at the 3.
Franks can play third string 4 or 5.
Last edited by da_suns_fan on Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:07 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Frank started next to Ayton for part of the season, and he can hit the three, so he can definitely play PF. But I would still prefer to add a PF, unless Smith is ready to shine.
But thats what they got McGee for.

We had one legitimate big in last years finals. They have two now.

I think the roster is pretty much set. They wont use the rest of the MLE or BLE. Not when they're gonna have Ayton and Mikail's big contracts hit next year and Sarver will never pay the Luxury tax.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hmm, don’t hate Frank. I think he’s a C though. He’s fine as 3rd string C, which seems like what he’ll be…I really hope Smith takes a step forward and can play some minutes at the 4 this year though. We might have to count on Frank again if not.

PG- CP3, Payne, TBD
SG - Booker, Shamet, Nader
SF - Bridges, Johnson, TBD
PF - Crowder, Smith, Saric
C - Ayton, McGee, Kaminsky

I know Johnson will probably get a lot of minutes at the 4, but this setup makes it easier to see where we have needs…ultimately it should just be split into guards/wings/bigs

G: Paul, Booker, Payne, Shamet
W: Bridges, Crowder, Johnson, Nader
B: Ayton, McGee, Smith, Kaminsky, Saric

We have more bigs than guards or wings, but our guard and wings are all playable, where we have a few bigs who aren’t(or who are questionable).

I would have liked one more big we could be confident in, but it doesn’t seem that’s happening. For depth purposes, we need another ball handler and then I’d add a big wing that could at least slide up to the 4 and maybe 5 in a small ball role.

I hope we’re not just being cheap with our exceptions…if we don’t use them in free agency, I hope we’re saving them for buyout candidates mid season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If smith really can be a 2nd string 4 on a really good team, that would be a big help. He looked lost this season, so I hope to see a dramatic change in... less than 60 days.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The funny thing is I think the best he looked was his first game of the season when our other bigs got in foul trouble. I can’t remember who it was against, but he played the whole 2nd Q and did ok. I think that was regular season. It might not be a bad idea to give him a small role to start the year. He might need consistent playing time. Give him 6 minutes in the first half and then we can shorten the rotation in the 2nd half if need be.

Edit: It was the first game of the season against Dallas, Smith played 16 minutes and had 4pts, 3reb, 1blk and 1 foul. Was a +6.

Ayton had 4 fouls in 24 minutes and Jones(forgot he was our backup) had 5 fouls in 7 minutes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:22 pm
If smith really can be a 2nd string 4 on a really good team, that would be a big help. He looked lost this season, so I hope to see a dramatic change in... less than 60 days.
Nice!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:16 pm
The Bobster wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

I think the roster is pretty much set. They wont use the rest of the MLE or BLE. Not when they're gonna have Ayton and Mikail's big contracts hit next year and Sarver will never pay the Luxury tax.
I see it a little differently. We had 2 backup bigs (Saric, Craig) in last year's playoffs in whom Monty had a high enough level of trust and now we have 1 (McGee). And both of those players had roles that have not been replaced, although Frank and Dario play a similar style.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:18 pm
Hmm, don’t hate Frank. I think he’s a C though. He’s fine as 3rd string C, which seems like what he’ll be…I really hope Smith takes a step forward and can play some minutes at the 4 this year though. We might have to count on Frank again if not.

PG- CP3, Payne, TBD
SG - Booker, Shamet, Nader
SF - Bridges, Johnson, TBD
PF - Crowder, Smith, Saric
C - Ayton, McGee, Kaminsky

I know Johnson will probably get a lot of minutes at the 4, but this setup makes it easier to see where we have needs…ultimately it should just be split into guards/wings/bigs

G: Paul, Booker, Payne, Shamet
W: Bridges, Crowder, Johnson, Nader
B: Ayton, McGee, Smith, Kaminsky, Saric

We have more bigs than guards or wings, but our guard and wings are all playable, where we have a few bigs who aren’t(or who are questionable).

I would have liked one more big we could be confident in, but it doesn’t seem that’s happening. For depth purposes, we need another ball handler and then I’d add a big wing that could at least slide up to the 4 and maybe 5 in a small ball role.

I hope we’re not just being cheap with our exceptions…if we don’t use them in free agency, I hope we’re saving them for buyout candidates mid season.
Sarver is still owner, isnt he? :D

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:54 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

I see it a little differently. We had 2 backup bigs (Saric, Craig) in last year's playoffs in whom Monty had a high enough level of trust and now we have 1 (McGee). And both of those players had roles that have not been replaced, although Frank and Dario play a similar style.
Agreed. Except McGee doesn't do anything that Craig, Saric or Frank do. I am fine with him as the back up C, but we really need someone else on the roster than can guard 3-5.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:58 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:54 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Agreed. Except McGee doesn't do anything that Craig, Saric or Frank do. I am fine with him as the back up C, but we really need someone else on the roster than can guard 3-5.
Yeah. We’re missing a big that can play next to Ayton. So many times he came out to help and we got murdered on the glass when other teams went big against us. I think Milsap can be that guy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I hope so. He is a bit slow.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Who else remembers the 94 team saying they didnt want to play the season, they just wanted to get back to the Finals?

Remember that?

I dont see that happening with this team.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Ok seeing that nothing much still to report especially for Bigs which I would have said in the other thread is kinda my expectation. Re: opportunity for Smith

Just to play off the running joke by 'Bone and some others here. I will give my thoughts but currently working on a couple articles :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:22 pm
Who else remembers the 94 team saying they didnt want to play the season, they just wanted to get back to the Finals?

Remember that?

I dont see that happening with this team.
I don't remember that, but I was starting my senior year of high school for the 94-94 season and was a bit pre-occupied. :lol:

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I don't see how they could possibly believe this team is ready for the season opener tomorrow!
Oh wait - we've still three months left to settle some of these things.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:24 pm
Ok seeing that nothing much still to report especially for Bigs which I would have said in the other thread is kinda my expectation. Re: opportunity for Smith

Just to play off the running joke by 'Bone and some others here. I will give my thoughts but currently working on a couple articles :)
:lol:

You know, I regularly think that I would love to hear a weekly-ish podcast from phx-suns.net. Most podcast formats work best with 2-3 people on the cast, with 2 being there all the time and another 4-5 people that rotate through depending on the issues. So I keep trying to figure out who would be best in those co-hosts spots and who would be great for rotating guests. I think you would be a great co-host.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:43 pm
I don't see how they could possibly believe this team is ready for the season opener tomorrow!
Oh wait - we've still three months left to settle some of these things.
October 19th is two months, 1 week, and 6 days away. Preseason is even closer.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:19 am

NOW we are set!!! :D

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo says Millsap, Aldridge, and Hartenstein are out of the mix for the Suns, although they do still want some size.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.