The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wormwood

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Wormwood »

Wormwood wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:20 pm
Suns look like they're just about done for the offseason. They have 11 contracts now.

PGs: CP3 Payne
SGs: Booker Shamet
SFs: Bridges Nader
PFs: Crowder Johnson
Cs: Ayton McGee J. Smith
I forgot Saric. So we have 12 contracts. One of which is a lead albatross (Saric). DPE is only $4.25M, not sure what we can get for that. It takes a while to process the request, by which time FA is basically over. About all it's good for is picking up a guy who asks for a buy out ands wants to go to a contender.

Also, the advanced metrics on Chris Chiozza are insane. I really want to see him brought in as a 3rd point guard. I really think we could get him with a guaranteed vet min, or BAE.

At SF/SG, Danny Green is a defensive stud. I'd like to see if we could get him to move ahead of Nader.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Chiozza would be nice. I think Green will want playing time that we might not have to offer

Split T

Post by Split T »

CP3 signed within the first hour of free agency, so unless New Orleans contacted him before free agency, he didn’t spend that much time considering it..

*This is mostly a comment on the stupid tampering rules that no one follows. Obviously Paul was contacted by New Orleans before free agency started.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It makes no sense for him to go back to NOP after getting to the Finals with us. They didn't offer him any more money than we did, and they are a borderline playoff team at best. I'm sure he has nostalgia for his time there, but his situation here is way better. I doubt the NOP offer was competitive at all. It may have given him a tiny bit of leverage to get that 4th year out of us in our contract offer, though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I never worried too much about Paul leaving. He loves this team.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:43 am
It makes no sense for him to go back to NOP after getting to the Finals with us. They didn't offer him any more money than we did, and they are a borderline playoff team at best. I'm sure he has nostalgia for his time there, but his situation here is way better. I doubt the NOP offer was competitive at all. It may have given him a tiny bit of leverage to get that 4th year out of us in our contract offer, though.
The fourth year is a team option, so he didn’t need leverage to get it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This one got me…I really want Millsap

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:37 am

So does alot of Suns Twitter
That's y it got you lol :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

As for above
Windhorst reports LeBron news, anything else I don't really believe he's actually in the know :evil:

Plus Rachel has made herself quite the mess recently but I can remember a couple instances of her trying to say things might be changing in PHX - Re: Bubble Suns and he would seem to not be buying it

When others were saying National media want the Bucks to win because of their old takes on the Suns. I could see him being one of those people
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Windhorst is legit.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:45 am
I never worried too much about Paul leaving. He loves this team.
And I never really worried about Cam Payne either. The Suns saved his career. He went from not playing in the NBA to backing up CP3 and going to the Finals. He was beyond grateful for his second chance and cut the Suns a deal too. Love the guy.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:37 am

That would be great if it happens.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Like the McGee pick up. A few years ago I would have been disgusted. I think he's one of those classic cases where bigs take longer to develop. I think at this point next year we'll feel 5 mil was a great value.

He comes off as a knucklehead but supposedly he''s incredibly smart. CP seems to like him because of his hustle. He's tall, mobile, and has an incredible wingspan. Can now also shoot the 3. Just gotta keep him from shooting at the wrong basket and we'll be fine.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I'd love to bring Baynes back with the BAE, or IPE. Or vet min if he'll take it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:14 am
I'd love to bring Baynes back with the BAE, or IPE. Or vet min if he'll take it.

High likelihood that he's washed. He was awful last year and he's old.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Wormwood wrote:

Another big would be good. Has he fallen off that much? He played great for us when Ayton served his jail sentence. Hs stock has really fallen off. Haven’t kept up with him much after he left.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ear01.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:22 am
Wormwood wrote:

Another big would be good. Has he fallen off that much? He played great for us when Ayton served his jail sentence. Hs stock has really fallen off. Haven’t kept up with him much after he left.

Baynes stats
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ear01.html

Split T

Post by Split T »

We need a big that can play the 4, we don’t need 3 pure centers that can’t play together.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What the heck happened to Baynes? He was so good for us 2 years ago, and now he's worthless?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's weird how quickly he fell off. Part of me thinks he just played way over his head for us, part of me thinks it was the system/style. But he's also 34 now. Too bad we don't really have a spot for him here. We need a more versatile 4/5.