USA Basketball Tokyo Olympics

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

USA Basketball Tokyo Olympics

Post by Nodack »

I noticed USA Basketball starts tomorrow and there was no thread. Time to move on from the 2nd place finish in the playoffs and rejoin the world of the living. Anyone interested?

These Olympics were delayed a year and many question whether they should be held at all with Covid still affecting the world. There is talk it might still be cancelled if Covid takes off any more than it has in the Olympics. There are no spectators allowed so it’s sort of like the NBA bubble. They had opening ceremonies and started competition so, it’s on.

Booker is on the team and they have been a little vulnerable and started with two losses in the exhibition season, before Booker of course. Since it’s in Japan the starting times are super early US time.

Exhibition games before the playoffs
Nigeria stunned them in their first warm up game 90- 87.
Australia beat them in the next warmup game 91-83.
They got it together and crushed Argentina 108-80.
Their next game against Australia was cancelled.
They beat Spain 83-76

The men play France tomorrow at 5am Phx time in their first real game of the Olympics.

USA Basketball Olympic Schedule
https://www.usab.com/mens/national-team/schedule.aspx

Men’s World Olympic Schedule
https://www.usab.com/mens/national-team ... edule.aspx

How to Watch Team USA Men's Basketball at Tokyo Olympics
https://sports.nbcsports.com/2021/06/29 ... -schedule/

Nodack

Re: USA Basketball Tokyo Olympics

Post by Nodack »

I have Direct TV and searched for the game on any channel with Olympic coverage at 5 am and came up with nothing but sports on three channels like badminton and archery. I then did a search for the game and it airs at 9pm that night. This is going to be weird. Watch the games live streamed on an iPad or dvr it or watch it a day almost later from the tv.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'll probably be more interested now that Book is playing but the team is kinda meh.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:22 pm
I have Direct TV and searched for the game on any channel with Olympic coverage at 5 am and came up with nothing but sports on three channels like badminton and archery. I then did a search for the game and it airs at 9pm that night. This is going to be weird. Watch the games live streamed on an iPad or dvr it or watch it a day almost later from the tv.
If I had to guess, that's DirecTV screwing up their programing guide and the game will be live at 5am for you.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

:o

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Can't fool me. That's Mike Bibby.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, the only way to watch USA vs. France is via live stream on Peacock. It is also being rebroadcast at 9 pm PT on NBCSN which isn’t available on DirecTV as far as I can tell.

After typing that, just looked at my local NBC station on DirecTV and it shows France vs. U.S. being shown at 1 pm PT in a two hour time slot. I set up a recording, we’ll see what happens. Also noticed coverage of 3x3 basketball starting at 5 am. Such a weird thing.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/new ... 18ifgez3q1

USA vs. France start time
Date: Sunday, July 25
Time: 8 a.m. ET | 5 a.m. PT
Rebroadcast: Midnight ET | 9 p.m. PT

The USA men's basketball team kicks of prelim play vs. France at 8 a.m. ET on Sunday, July 25. The game will air live on Peacock, NBC's streaming service.
A replay of the game will air at midnight ET on Monday, July 26.

What channel is USA vs. France basketball on?
TV channels: Not available on cable
Live stream: Peacock, NBCOlympics.com
The first three games of Team USA's Olympic run won't be broadcast live on cable TV. Rather, they'll be shown exclusively on Peacock, NBC's streaming service.

The replay of USA vs. France will air on NBCSN at midnight on July 26.
Peacock is free to watch with ads, or you can pay $4.99/month for Peacock Premium (no ads).
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

https://stream.nbcolympics.com/basketba ... france-usa

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I love basketball without commercials every 5 minutes of real time.

France only has the fifth best odds to win gold, and they don't look good at all. A lot of credit to the USA defense in the first quarter.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

After watching the first quarter, I wouldn't mind giving Fall a look as Ayton's backup. Clearly a 5, mobile, looks like a good defender, and can at least shoot free throws.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Now checking back in here
I will have to share my streaming site next time

Was always gonna be an interesting first game, they been cruising and last 3mins they folded.
Like I say all the time, Fournier fresh off struggling a bunch for the Celtics puts on his National jersey and drops a cool 30 basically

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 am
Imagine trying to play right now after what just happened. But maybe this is a great way to get the bad taste out of your system.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I think the U.S. problem is just a crazy over reliance on 3s. Lillard and Durant shoot a crazy amount of them, early in the shot clock. There's no reason to continue to settle for 3s all game long.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:11 am
Maybe Jerry should have fired Pop after the worst performance in Team USA history in the 2019 World Cup.
Change that "maybe" to "definitely." What an absolute embarrassment. First Olympic loss since the 2004 disaster.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Different rules. No on the cylinder goaltending either. Booker, Holiday and Middleton just got there last night. Lots of talent thrown together. Needless to say some of the other countries have done more to prepare for the Olympics than the US team. That’s what winning so long without even trying does. The world has caught up some and some of those other countries really like playing for their respective countries. The US has been the team to beat for a long time. It’s our game. We got good at it first and showed it to the world. They ended up liking it too and after being humiliated by the US for so long many countries would take great pride in beating the US. We have been pretty cocky over the years. Less lately. We talked about this the last Olympics too.

I think it’s great for basketball and great for the world. The US being humbled is not a bad thing imo.