Around the League: Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Off-season

Post by Indy »

Yeah, so that is good for them. But it is amazing that Detroit just cleared 16.5M off the books and didn't really lose anything of value to them, and didn't have to take on anything.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:45 pm
Yeah, so that is good for them. But it is amazing that Detroit just cleared 16.5M off the books and didn't really lose anything of value to them, and didn't have to take on anything.
Yes that’s true too. Detroit did some weird things last season and this fixes one of them

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:55 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:45 pm
Yes that’s true too. Detroit did some weird things last season and this fixes one of them
Signing 27 power forwards is weird?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Russ to Lakers is done.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:20 pm
Russ to Lakers is done.
Feels like a disaster. But they are in our division so I don't want to be too dismissive... yet.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:21 pm
Indy wrote:
Russ to Lakers is done.
Feels like a disaster. But they are in our division so I don't want to be too dismissive... yet.
It's gonna be awkward really quick if AD insists on playing power forward.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

So, this have to be the end of all those artificial triple doubles, for Westbrook, right?

This could be something to see, if there is one player intense and crazy enough to stand up against Lebron, is Westbrook, Jimmy Butler would be another. So who’s going to back down when the passive aggressive antics start?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:02 pm
So, this have to be the end of all those artificial triple doubles, for Westbrook, right?

This could be something to see, if there is one player intense and crazy enough to stand up against Lebron, is Westbrook, Jimmy Butler would be another. So who’s going to back down when the passive aggressive antics start?
I don;t think they are artificial.

But yeah, it will be really funny when he starts going hard for rebounds that AD is already in position for. I get the feeling AD backs down, though. He doesn't seem like an alpha dog to me.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:05 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:02 pm

I don;t think they are artificial.

But yeah, it will be really funny when he starts going hard for rebounds that AD is already in position for. I get the feeling AD backs down, though. He doesn't seem like an alpha dog to me.
I’m not saying that every point, rebound and assist are empty stats, but he actively goes in the way of his teammates to round up the needed stat. He could end with nine rebounds on a victory, but, no, he stays and go after it, and like you say it, he requires to share the court with players that doesn’t care about stats or spotlights… and maybe AD will play along, but Lebron will? Not even sure if AD would like to be outshined by Mister triple double on his expense, or be considered their new Chris Bosh.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Every player does that to an extent (chases some stats). Otherwise we all wouldn't have been talking about Paul stealing Ayton's 20th rebound in the Clippers game.

And I wasn't saying the other players don't care about their stats, especially with AD. I was saying that AD wouldn't step up to Westbrook. Yeah, I think Lebron would, but only if he was hurting the team.

The interesting thing about Westbrook going there is that he makes players around him play differently, to his style. He doesn't make it easier for them to play theirs. That can be good or bad.

But Lebron is the same way. Lebron doesn't make his teammates better by helping them play their game. He makes them better by letting them play his game.

With two guys that dictate the style of game so much, I will be interested to see how that plays out.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

"Our guy" seems a tad annoyed

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think players talking is tampering…as long as the teams aren’t doing it, it’s cool. Also are people complaining that the suns are tampering? I haven’t seen that

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Indy wrote:
Russ to Lakers is done.
We used to talk about how good of a fit Bledsoe would be with Lebron. In theory, Westbrook should be like that but even more. But the reality is that there's one basketball, three sky-high usage players that need the ball in their hands, and the question is whether AD will ever get the ball.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:02 am
Indy wrote:
Indy wrote:
Russ to Lakers is done.
We used to talk about how good of a fit Bledsoe would be with Lebron. In theory, Westbrook should be like that but even more. But the reality is that there's one basketball, three sky-high usage players that need the ball in their hands, and the question is whether AD will ever get the ball.
Bron and Westbrook are both very willing passers (and very good ones, at that). They just need the ball to be successful. It will be interesting, regardless.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I kinda think it’s going to work. AD will play the 5 when it matters in the playoffs, which will help the spacing. The Lakers will add shooters. They’ll get a few vet min guys and they still can S&T Schroeder somewhere. Westbrook can take a ton of pressure off Lebron to create everything and allow him to rest strategically. Then Lebron will take over when it matters.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They need to hit on their role players- guys who can shoot, defend and still actually play. Otherwise, they're going to be like the other teams that are too top heavy and don't have much depth.

Indy

Post by Indy »

That, and you have to have AD healthy in the playoffs. He isn't known for his endurance.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya they have a lot of work to do to fill out that roster, but it’s LA and they’ll have options. They definitely will be dependent on a healthy AD again for the playoffs. I do think Westbrook helps them survive a regular season injury easier. Won’t drop to 7 if AD missed half the season again.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:14 am
I kinda think it’s going to work. AD will play the 5 when it matters in the playoffs, which will help the spacing. The Lakers will add shooters. They’ll get a few vet min guys and they still can S&T Schroeder somewhere. Westbrook can take a ton of pressure off Lebron to create everything and allow him to rest strategically. Then Lebron will take over when it matters.
I hope it fails but yeah, it's probably a huge success. Lakers always pay for and get the best. It's always been that way. Jabbar, Shaq, LeBron, AD, the list goes on.
"Be Legendary."