Around the League: Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Around the League: Off-season

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

OK, so define a flop.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:57 pm
OK, so define a flop.
You know it when you see it. Like Lebron falling forward and doing a roll when running down the court and someone touches his back.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The NBA can't write "Flopping: You know it when you see it." in the rule book.

While everyone agrees that flopping hurts the game, at some point embellishment is a legitimate competitive tactic. No one can clearly define the line between savvy and egregious well enough to put a written rule into place.

I'm all for having as little flopping as possible, but it's just not realistic to remove it completely and I think the NBA has done a lot better in recent years when compared to 5-6 years ago.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

And I should add, it you call it a technical, instead of a normal turnover, we KNOW it will become part of the referees’s arsenal to favor their agenda: Lebron will never be taken out of a game for flopping technicals, and the lesser players will get away with it depending on the moment. Is the same with illegal defense, they call it once or twice a game.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The thing with the arm hook is it’s really subtle. If refs could catch it in real time, they’d probably call it correctly, but if they don’t have the right angle, they’ll keep getting fooled no matter what the rules are emphasizing.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Smh @ FVV

DeRozan leaving him gave him a bigger opportunity but still
Kawhi
Now Lowry
and possibly Siakam, man must be wondering what going on tsk tsk

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:27 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:35 pm
It's just Sarver's cheapness coming through yet again. He's keeping the team together (at least until next summer...who knows what's happening with extensions for Ayton and Bridges), but he won't spend what it takes to actually improve the roster.
So tired of this take. Give it a rest.
It seems they are not even trying to extend Ayton or Bridges this summer, especially listening to Jones' interview on ESPN last night. Apparently Sarver still hasn't learned from the Joe Johnson fiasco.

DA earned a max contract extension. Period. It should have been offered to him immediately upon free agency. Just like it was for Doncic, Young, and SGA. You don't mess around with the future. It won't surprise me at all if he wants to leave next summer and go to a team that will actually feature him in their offense.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:56 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:27 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:35 pm
It's just Sarver's cheapness coming through yet again. He's keeping the team together (at least until next summer...who knows what's happening with extensions for Ayton and Bridges), but he won't spend what it takes to actually improve the roster.
So tired of this take. Give it a rest.
It seems they are not even trying to extend Ayton or Bridges this summer, especially listening to Jones' interview on ESPN last night. Apparently Sarver still hasn't learned from the Joe Johnson fiasco.

DA earned a max contract extension. Period. It should have been offered to him immediately upon free agency. Just like it was for Doncic, Young, and SGA. You don't mess around with the future. It won't surprise me at all if he wants to leave next summer and go to a team that will actually feature him in their offense.
1) Maybe they have already told him they will max him but they needed to sign the other guys first.

2) The other 3 you mentioned are the face of their franchise, and the best player on their team. Most nights, Ayton is 3rd, and some he is 4th.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'm not worried about the Ayton/Bridges extensions. I think both get done.

Indy

Post by Indy »

agreed.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bridges was at the game last night with the fellas but not DA :thinking:

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:35 pm
Bridges was at the game last night with the fellas but not DA :thinking:
I thought he was in the Bahamas.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Listening to the Jones interview last night, it sure sounded like they want to wait and see how Ayton plays this season and let him become a restricted free agent. I hope I'm wrong.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:59 pm
Listening to the Jones interview last night, it sure sounded like they want to wait and see how Ayton plays this season and let him become a restricted free agent. I hope I'm wrong.
are there cap benefits to waiting until he hits RFA?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Watching that game last right I would have rather been in the Bahamas too.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:16 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:59 pm
are there cap benefits to waiting until he hits RFA?
In some situations, yes, but we’ll be over the cap even without the Ayton extension, so no. His cap hold might be high enough that it wouldn’t matter much anyways.

Also, I’m perfectly fine waiting on his extension. If he’s worth the max we’ll give it to him. If he’s not, someone will give it to him and we might be able to work out a sign and trade.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Ok for Jeremy Re: his concerns about us not looking after DA
and others like Split who just like crunching the numbers :)

See thread 8-)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Personally leaving the maths and dollars aside, I just not concerned either.

Monty has preached to DA that he will see the results on the court by doing the little things. Always talks about how much he appreciates DA for his sacrifice and it's obvious DA has taken Monty guidance to heart.

I'm sure outside of talking team success that he knows the paycheck coming too once he continues to grow in this role. DA himself says in countless interviews that he don't care about the touches, he understands how he can impact the game so wanting to leave to feature in an Offense I really don't feel is in his thought process

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m pretty sure he’ll get the max, but that deal scares me. I’d feel a lot better if he took a John Collins type deal..5/125

Honestly I’d rather give Mikal the 5 year contract. What if we paid Ayton more per year, but gave Mikal 5 years…

So like 5/110 for Mikal and 4/110 for Ayton?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:08 pm
Personally leaving the maths and dollars aside, I just not concerned either.

Monty has preached to DA that he will see the results on the court by doing the little things. Always talks about how much he appreciates DA for his sacrifice and it's obvious DA has taken Monty guidance to heart.

I'm sure outside of talking team success that he knows the paycheck coming too once he continues to grow in this role. DA himself says in countless interviews that he don't care about the touches, he understands how he can impact the game so wanting to leave to feature in an Offense I really don't feel is in his thought process
I don’t think he really even feels comfortable being featured. They have to push him to get aggressive as is. I think he is right where he needs to be at this moment. He is being groomed into his position and is making strides. He just went to the finals and got to see what a max big man taking over the game looks like from an up close view of defending him for six games in a row. If that ain’t motivation…