Around the League: Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Off-season

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:26 pm
Sources: NBA players won't be required to get COVID-19 vaccination
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/322 ... accination
Isn't that against Biden's policy? Last I looked, the NBA has over 100 employees.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:02 pm
Nodack wrote:
Isn't that against Biden's policy? Last I looked, the NBA has over 100 employees.
I believe you are right.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
You mean the unconstitutional one that won’t hold up?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really like what the NFL did with vaccines. They basically told the teams that if their players aren't vaccinated and can't take the field due to quarantine protocols, they'll have to forfeit the game and cover all the costs associated with the lost revenue. That's prohibitively expensive, so basically the teams are putting heavy pressure on the players to get vaccinated.

Don't know what the NBA is thinking. Why risk your league's greatest asset, its players, by opening them up to a dumb risk? If even one major player is hobbled or killed by COVID-19, you'd have to think this was a disaster.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:04 am
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Read Jacobson.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:54 am
I really like what the NFL did with vaccines. They basically told the teams that if their players aren't vaccinated and can't take the field due to quarantine protocols, they'll have to forfeit the game and cover all the costs associated with the lost revenue. That's prohibitively expensive, so basically the teams are putting heavy pressure on the players to get vaccinated.

Don't know what the NBA is thinking. Why risk your league's greatest asset, its players, by opening them up to a dumb risk? If even one major player is hobbled or killed by COVID-19, you'd have to think this was a disaster.
The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts and the owners have WAY more power than the players. Not the same way in the NBA. Maybe they can fine players exorbitant amounts, but they would have to fit it into their current contract language.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:31 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Read Jacobson.
"Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), was a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court upheld the authority of states to enforce compulsory vaccination laws."

That's state law (not federal; huge difference). That's also law. Not some Dept. of Labor "regulation" instituted by the executive branch, instead of the legislative branch. Only the legislative branch can make law.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:44 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:31 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Read Jacobson.
"Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), was a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court upheld the authority of states to enforce compulsory vaccination laws."

That's state law (not federal; huge difference). That's also law. Not some Dept. of Labor "regulation" instituted by the executive branch, instead of the legislative branch. Only the legislative branch can make law.
But the executive branch writes regulations to uphold and enforce the laws written by the leg branch. For example, the legislature wrote the laws around high level food and drug safety, but the FDA (and executive branch department) wrote all the regulations around how to interpret and enforce those laws. And that includes public safety.

Jacobson has been used many times since 1905 as the basis for supporting this argument, including supporting schools refusing to admit students that won't get vaccines. Nobody is saying that you have to get vaccinated. They are saying that it is your choice. But if you choose to do that, you likely won't be flying on a commercial plane, or riding public transit, or interacting with customers face-to-face, etc.

[maybe this should move to general :) ]

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the discussion of vaccines is super interesting, but we should probably confine it to aspects that affect the Suns/NBA. If we want to give our opinions on the laws and mandates, we should probably do it in the Politics or General sections. I don't think anybody's stepped out of line in this thread, but some folks really value the Suns space being political-drama-free.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We already have a non political Covid thread and a political Covid thread. It was my fault posting the story here in the first place but, it was specifically a NBA story so I put it here.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It's a perfectly valid question about the operation of the league, so as long as people treat it that way, I don't see it as a problem.

Conjecture about whether a particular player is vaccinated and why probably belongs more in one of those threads though - since it leads more to people giving personal opinions on the subject.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JJ Redick announces his retirement at age 37:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/322 ... 15-seasons

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I'm glad he made it through!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good for Ced. It sounds like he was knocking on death's door. Close call.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So the Timberwolves fired their GM this week. Not sure if it's really very interesting news for us to talk about.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/322 ... operations

Not a ton else going on in NBA news circles, other than I guess the ongoing Ben Simmons trade saga. I like Simmons but don't really think he'd be good on most of the league's contending teams. There are some rumors that the Warriors want to trade for him, but I don't know if I like that fit. They have so many rugged veterans with championship experience, I don't think they would want a guy who wilts under pressure and is so fragile like Simmons.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Simmons needs shooters so who better than Curry and Klay. Could be the Ws for someone like Simmons, maybe the Rockets for Wall or the Wiz for Beal?

TWolves are a mess and all the dirty laundry is coming out now. Always interesting when owners get rid of GMS right at the start of training camp. Knicks did it a few years back, we did it with McD. Why have a GM work the entire offseason making moves just to fire them before the season?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I hope we don’t need to do this, but if we come up short this year and Ayton doesn’t take another step, KAT could be very available to us next summer.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

If you swapped KAT for DA in our playoff run last year we would’ve been worse as a team

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
BTW, the Biden policy does not require vaccinations for those employees. They can get tested weekly instead of being vaccinated.
Requiring All Employers with 100+ Employees to Ensure their Workers are Vaccinated or Tested Weekly

The Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is developing a rule that will require all employers with 100 or more employees to ensure their workforce is fully vaccinated or require any workers who remain unvaccinated to produce a negative test result on at least a weekly basis before coming to work. OSHA will issue an Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS) to implement this requirement. This requirement will impact over 80 million workers in private sector businesses with 100+ employees.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/covidplan/

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:07 pm
If you swapped KAT for DA in our playoff run last year we would’ve been worse as a team
That might be true, but as CP3 ages, I think KAT/Booker/Bridges is a better trio moving forward.