Around the League: Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Off-season

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:24 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:19 am

Will this be our first Christmas Day game since who knows when? Maybe a finals rematch?
Of course not. It will be another disrespect thrown our way by the league. Nets-Bucks and Warriors-Lakers
That’s the opening night schedule…Christmas Day we know 3 of the 5:

Lakers-Nets
Jazz-Mavs
Hawks-Knicks

I’m assuming Suns-Bucks and Warriors-(someone)

Probably Sixers for that last spot, but could be nuggets, heat, clippers, Celtics, bulls, Pels, blazers, Grizzlies…

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Thought they’d go for the finals rematch, but Suns-Warriors is good too. Probably Bucks-Sixers for the last one then.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

We're relevant again! They like us. They really like us!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bucks-Celtics is the last one..maybe worried about the lingering Ben Simmons trade drama that could extend into the season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Suns play twice on National tv during opening week. Nuggets and Lakers are the opponents.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Those are big games.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:32 am
I think the Clipper that injured Paul, was Terrence Mann with a karate chop disguised as a steal attempt. From that very moment Paul started rubbing his finger and wrist. Next game he was wearing that black bandaid
That was the partially torn ligaments in his right fingers. His left wrist injury that required surgery was from landing on it when Beverley undercut him and then danced around taunting him with no penalty.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The Suns used to play a home game on Christmas day every year back in the 70s.

It was considered a pretty big deal back then.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That's huge about Beverley being shipped off to Siberia, aka the Timberwolves. He won't bother us there. I hate his dumb intentionally-player-injuring ass and never want to face him again.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What have the Warriors done the past 2 yrs to earn the right to get both Opening day and Christmas games?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:06 pm
What have the Warriors done the past 2 yrs to earn the right to get both Opening day and Christmas games?
C'mon. You know those marquee games are about marketing and not the team performance. How many of them did the Pels play last year?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:40 pm
In2ition wrote:
C'mon. You know those marquee games are about marketing and not the team performance. How many of them did the Pels play last year?
I know why, but just like the Pels last yr, I don't think it's right. Where is the reigning MVP? Doesn't he get back his #2 from injury? Wouldn't you think that they would be a possible contender? I just think it's BS.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:48 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:40 pm
In2ition wrote:
I know why, but just like the Pels last yr, I don't think it's right. Where is the reigning MVP? Doesn't he get back his #2 from injury? Wouldn't you think that they would be a possible contender? I just think it's BS.
The NBA is an entertainment business. Like it or not, the teams that attract the most eyeballs in these games will earn them the most money. It's like owning a pizza shop and not having a pepperoni pizza on the menu.

Jamal Murray won't be back by Christmas.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya Christmas Day games aren’t a reward for good play. It’s all about putting the best games/players on tv…or at least the ones that will draw the most eye balls.

The Jazz do surprise me a bit. Not that they aren’t a great team, but I don’t really think a Jazz/Mavs game is pulling a lot of viewers. Maybe internationally…but does a 10:30 ET start time make sense for the European(or Australian)fans who might tune in to watch Luka, Rudy, KP, Bogdonavic, or Ingles?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:35 pm
Ya Christmas Day games aren’t a reward for good play. It’s all about putting the best games/players on tv…or at least the ones that will draw the most eye balls.

The Jazz do surprise me a bit. Not that they aren’t a great team, but I don’t really think a Jazz/Mavs game is pulling a lot of viewers. Maybe internationally…but does a 10:30 ET start time make sense for the European(or Australian)fans who might tune in to watch Luka, Rudy, KP, Bogdonavic, or Ingles?
Does anyone in NA ever really watch that 5th game anyway? Seems like even a lot of diehards burnout by the time that game gets going.

It's a great Sunday tipoff time for Asia and Australia.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya it’s pretty late…and I guess they needed some western teams for that late slot…I’m sure they wanted suns-Warriors in the better time slot

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This is interesting because I believe it leaves the Suns as the only NBA franchise without a G-League team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think Portland has one

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

We’re not the worst! We’re not the worst!