Around the League: Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Around the League: Off-season

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ben Simmons best position/role is a PF or C. Any team letting him bring the ball up court as a primary PG is making a mistake unless he becomes a willing shooter.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Agreed. I would love to see Simmons next to a true primary creator. I think that’s why Portland/GS destinations were interesting. Lillard or Curry next to Simmons would be great. Toronto too with FVV. Putting him at the 4 next to a true stretch 5 is also interesting. So KAT in Minny is also interesting.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think Simmons will be a tremendous fit with the Blazers. Which is why I'm rooting against that trade.

KAT will be a good fit with Simmons, but the Wolves would probably have to give up Russell and Beasley and some picks to make that happen, and then suddenly they'd be super thin in the back court and devoid of shooting again.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya that’s where Simmons to Minnesota falls apart, it puts Simmons back in as the primary ball handler..unless Edwards can be that guy..it’s still a better fit than Philly

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I want Simmons to go to a bad team. I think he'll do better where he can hold the ball a lot and just not have to worry about sky-high expectations. You want some shooting around him, but otherwise it's fine to have him on some team that wins 25 games. Minny would be nice. I don't really want to see him on Portland or Golden State because he'll be expected to perform at a top level and integrate with veterans like Curry or Dame who may not really want to show the patience on a rehab project.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I still think the Spurs are the best trade destination. They have young pieces and assets to give Philly and can surround Simmons with complementary talent. They're also really lacking in star power an could really use a player of Simmons' caliber.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:18 pm
I still think the Spurs are the best trade destination. They have young pieces and assets to give Philly and can surround Simmons with complementary talent. They're also really lacking in star power an could really use a player of Simmons' caliber.
I’m just not sure they have the key piece to catch Philly’s attention. Is Dejounte Murray a big enough piece? I don’t think so

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also anyone see this story how Andrew Wiggins won’t get vaccinated and due to that he won’t be able to play in any Warriors home games? Quite a costly decision by Wiggins. My question, it’s never been mentioned about how it impacts visiting teams, but I imagine players on visiting teams won’t be able to play against the Warriors either, right? Think the same applies for Knicks/Nets too, right?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:00 pm
Also anyone see this story how Andrew Wiggins won’t get vaccinated and due to that he won’t be able to play in any Warriors home games? Quite a costly decision by Wiggins. My question, it’s never been mentioned about how it impacts visiting teams, but I imagine players on visiting teams won’t be able to play against the Warriors either, right? Think the same applies for Knicks/Nets too, right?
No, I read that it only applies to the home teams.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
What a moron.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Does that impact his ability to get paid for those home games?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He might as well quit basketball.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:15 am
The article I read said it would cost him 15 million

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:24 am
pickle wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:15 am
The article I read said it would cost him 15 million
The Warriors can’t go the whole season that way. They’d have to find a way to trade him before the deadline, wouldn’t they?

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:40 pm
Split T wrote:
you have a link to that? I thought nobody would be allowed to work if they weren't vaccinated (per the city's rules on this).

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:09 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
you have a link to that? I thought nobody would be allowed to work if they weren't vaccinated (per the city's rules on this).
Can you stand a Fox News link? https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nba-andr ... s-religion
San Francisco’s vaccine rule doesn’t apply to visiting teams.
ETA: Here’s a Forbes link, if that’s better: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... nba-games/
Players on visiting teams, or independent performers, are not employed by the host. As a result, they are not required to be vaccinated as long as they provide proof of a negative Covid-19 test taken within 48 hours of the game.
And one from WSVN in Miami, citing CNN: https://wsvn.com/sports/nbas-new-york-a ... me-cities/
The cities’ vaccination policies do not apply to players from visiting teams who compete at their arenas.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Interesting, a shooter's reputation may matter for spacing as much as his actual shooting percentages

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is ... a-defense/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I found this article interesting about the battles over vaccines in the coming NBA season:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... d-1231988/

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:27 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:09 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Can you stand a Fox News link? https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nba-andr ... s-religion
San Francisco’s vaccine rule doesn’t apply to visiting teams.
ETA: Here’s a Forbes link, if that’s better: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... nba-games/
Players on visiting teams, or independent performers, are not employed by the host. As a result, they are not required to be vaccinated as long as they provide proof of a negative Covid-19 test taken within 48 hours of the game.
And one from WSVN in Miami, citing CNN: https://wsvn.com/sports/nbas-new-york-a ... me-cities/
The cities’ vaccination policies do not apply to players from visiting teams who compete at their arenas.
Ah, I guess I could have taken the time for a google search. thanks cap.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Kyrie just isn't worth the head ache anymore. Even if he has to forfeit half his pay, I am not sure you want to pay a guy 18M to only play in half your games and be such a distraction.