Around the League: Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JustWinBaby

Re: Around the League: Off-season

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:21 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:14 am
I kinda think it’s going to work. AD will play the 5 when it matters in the playoffs, which will help the spacing. The Lakers will add shooters. They’ll get a few vet min guys and they still can S&T Schroeder somewhere. Westbrook can take a ton of pressure off Lebron to create everything and allow him to rest strategically. Then Lebron will take over when it matters.
I hope it fails but yeah, it's probably a huge success. Lakers always pay for and get the best. It's always been that way. Jabbar, Shaq, LeBron, AD, the list goes on.
I could not agree more, it makes you want to vomit when all the Laker fans come out of the woodwork to support THEIR Lakers. They will call Westbrook now a Laker.

When was the last time they developed a player of major consequence that they drafted. It wasn't Kobe. He was acquired on a draft day trade. I think it is Magic Johnson and I think there was something sneaky that went on for them to get him.

Due to all the extra money players can earn and the stars that they can hang out with is huge driving force in their success. They claim to be Lakers, bullshit. They are FAKERS.

My favorite team - Anyone playing the Lakers - if the Suns are not playing.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:32 am
When was the last time they developed a player of major consequence that they drafted. It wasn't Kobe. He was acquired on a draft day trade. I think it is Magic Johnson and I think there was something sneaky that went on for them to get him.
James Worthy. AC Green. Vlade Divac. Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Derek Fisher.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:46 am
JustWinBaby wrote:
And I would count Kobe, too. It was a draft day trade, but they targeted Kobe and went and got him before he played a single game. That should count. You don't say Atlanta drafted Luka.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:49 am
Cap wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:46 am
JustWinBaby wrote:
And I would count Kobe, too. It was a draft day trade, but they targeted Kobe and went and got him before he played a single game. That should count. You don't say Atlanta drafted Luka.
Or that the Spurs drafted Barbosa.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

It's likely just because of his Philly ties and his mom but I always hear everyone refer to Mikal as drafted by the 76ers.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:20 pm
It's likely just because of his Philly ties and his mom but I always hear everyone refer to Mikal as drafted by the 76ers.
That one is a little different because Philly did draft him and decided to trade him later…it was just 15 minutes later, but they did draft him with the intention of keeping him at one point. Still, I’d consider it a suns draft pick.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Seems weird…not sure why either team made that trade…Maybe Boston is gearing up to trade Smart and wants a replacement?

Don’t see any reason Atlanta would play Thompson when they have Capela, Collins, and Okungwu. Isn’t he more expensive too? And Atlanta gave up a pick?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:02 pm
Seems weird…not sure why either team made that trade…Maybe Boston is gearing up to trade Smart and wants a replacement?

Don’t see any reason Atlanta would play Thompson when they have Capela, Collins, and Okungwu. Isn’t he more expensive too? And Atlanta gave up a pick?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That makes more sense for the Kings. Not great, but better than the Hawks. Interested to see where Holmes lands and for how much.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I still think the Kings will re-sign Holmes. It's more about where Bagley ends up.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:56 pm
I still think the Kings will re-sign Holmes. It's more about where Bagley ends up.
Aren’t they limited in how much they can offer him? Similar to Payne, I think if he gets more than 10.7 million, I don’t think the Kings can match. Only have his early bird rights.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:19 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:56 pm
Aren’t they limited in how much they can offer him? Similar to Payne, I think if he gets more than 10.7 million, I don’t think the Kings can match. Only have his early bird rights.
Ah, I didn't know that. I guess someone could off him more, but much higher than $11M seems unwise for a guy who doesn't shoot outside of 7 feet from the rim.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:14 am
I kinda think it’s going to work. AD will play the 5 when it matters in the playoffs, which will help the spacing. The Lakers will add shooters. They’ll get a few vet min guys and they still can S&T Schroeder somewhere. Westbrook can take a ton of pressure off Lebron to create everything and allow him to rest strategically. Then Lebron will take over when it matters.
Wouldn't be surprised to see JJ Redick end up there.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I actually really like Westbrook for the Lakers. The fit with Lebron is questionable, but I think he will make it so Lebron can take some games off and decrease his minutes because they'll have another guy who can lead their offense. He is also great injury insurance in case Lebron finally becomes mortal and has to miss a long stretch of games next year. They really need shooting around their big 3 since none of them are great shooters from distance. But I suspect they'll find that in free agency.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A lot of names and rumors in this article

With Westbrook now headed to Los Angeles, multiple league personnel contacted by B/R expect there to be significant interest from several veterans, including DeMar DeRozan, Rudy Gay and Carmelo Anthony, to forgo higher salary opportunities elsewhere and join the Lakers in pursuit of a championship.

The reigning champion Bucks are believed to have interest in re-signing versatile defender P.J. Tucker on a deal framework of two years, $20 million, sources said. There's also a belief that Bobby Portis and Milwaukee hope to strike a deal.

Richaun Holmes is expected to return to Sacramento, sources said, although a market for Holmes may still exist with Dallas, New York and Toronto. After Charlotte acquired Mason Plumlee and Kai Jones on draft night, the Hornets are no longer considered a free-agent destination for centers, which may also help steer Nerlens Noel back to the Knicks.

The Raptors have long been rumored to covet Jarrett Allen in addition to their interest in Holmes. Yet while Cleveland officials view Toronto as their biggest threat to retaining Allen, it is expected that the 23-year-old center will re-sign with the Cavaliers to pair with Evan Mobley in the frontcourt.

The Mavericks, along with the San Antonio Spurs, are known to have registered interest in John Collins, but it appears the Atlanta forward will likely re-sign with the Hawks following their sprint to the Eastern Conference Finals on a deal that could surpass $120 million in total value, sources said.

Outside of their efforts to land Lowry, the Mavericks are said to prioritize retaining sharpshooting wing Tim Hardaway Jr., who has also been linked to the Heat.

Dallas, San Antonio, New York and Miami are the rumored suitors for Kelly Oubre Jr. in free agency, sources said.

While TJ McConnell and Doug McDermott are expected to have interest in re-signing with the Pacers, the Pelicans, Nuggets and Suns are said to be pursuing the marksman from Creighton.

Forward JaMychal Green could very well return to Denver, yet New Orleans and Minnesota are rumored by league sources as potential landing spots.

League sources believe Lou Williams may return to Atlanta on a veteran minimum deal after his strong postseason performance.

Bryn Forbes parted ways with Milwaukee after not playing in the last three games of the Finals, and league sources said the Brooklyn Nets are believed to be a leading candidate for him. Other teams to keep an eye on: Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas and New Orleans.

The Rockets are expected to bring on center Daniel Theis, perhaps landing the veteran via sign-and-trade through an $8 million trade exception.

The Mavericks are considered the favorite by league sources to sign Sterling Brown.

Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Toronto and New Orleans are known to be interested in unrestricted free-agent center Zach Collins, sources said.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Are the Lakers just not going to have any shooters?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Have I ever said I hate the Lakers? I fricken' HATE THEM!
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another former Sun I'd love to have back for the right price, though given the way we've treated him he's unlikely to take our call: