Summer League 2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Summer League 2021

Post by bajanguy008 »

Although I'm seeing highlights on my timeline, it still really hasn't dawned on me that it's really started already. Now seeing Suns Twitter mentioning that we start tomorrow.

I'm kinda indifferent on Summer League at times because for me it can be misleading especially for players who going to not have high usage rates in the real games.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Re: Summer League 2021

Post by bajanguy008 »

As expected
Eyes will be on Jalen and here's a refresher article on what has/hasn't transpired so far for the young fella, the hopes and expectations.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Olson's article uses couple clips from last year G League which I hardly watched because I never expected Clippers affiliate to play him much. We discussed our G League situation already so no need to revisit that but either way I prefer to focus on the last time we saw him.

This is him actually obviously in our system and playing mostly against a solid big in Poeltl. This game was to lock up the 2 seed for those who might have forgotten and as with all Popovich teams those guys were playing hard not to mention their 2nd unit had beat us in another game a bit earlier

I shared this already the next day but we had bigger things to discuss like Playoffs n that squad in LA. So I'm sure he's going to be a much bigger topic of discussion now than back then couple months ago lol

The challenge at the rim
The finishes above the rim
I also appreciated the sealing the smaller guys although he rushed the shots (getting stronger will easily help)
I even really liked the fact he tried to dunk on Poeltl off a dribble drive
Let's be honest, those last two points above DA wasn't looking to do in his rookie year so he seems to have the right mindset

I remember a concern was switching out on smaller guards and during the game I think they were times he struggled which isn't in this vid.
He got lost sometimes on rotations but again that is to be expected.

He's obviously different than all our other Forwards and at least you can see there's a clear role he could fill if he puts things together
Last edited by bajanguy008 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The thing with Summer League is generally if you’re really good then it’s a positive sign, but there’s no guarantee it will translate. If you suck in Summer League, there’s a much stronger probability of that translating.

I still remember that pit-in-my-stomach feeling watching Josh Jackson absolutely blow during his second SL after a decent rookie season.

It’s also not a great showcase for bigs like Jalen, so I won’t lose all hope if he’s not great, but it would be hard to have much confidence in him contributing this year.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm
The thing with Summer League is generally if you’re really good then it’s a positive sign, but there’s no guarantee it will translate. If you suck in Summer League, there’s a much stronger probability of that translating.

I still remember that pit-in-my-stomach feeling watching Josh Jackson absolutely blow during his second SL after a decent rookie season.

It’s also not a great showcase for bigs like Jalen, so I won’t lose all hope if he’s not great, but it would be hard to have much confidence in him contributing this year.
Agreed
Summer League is where the high usage guys get to shine. Most players just trying to get buckets so I would have watched Book because I needed to see his scoring potential. So as you said Bigs are tricky man but yea here we are so let's see how things play out

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:04 pm
Although I'm seeing highlights on my timeline, it still really hasn't dawned on me that it's really started already. Now seeing Suns Twitter mentioning that we start tomorrow.
Actually, Sunday. 7:30 PM PT on ESPN 2. But who's counting?
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:37 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Lol thanks man
Making a thread and giving the wrong info :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:20 am
Superbone wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:
Lol thanks man
Thanks for making the thread! Do we want a game day thread for each or just talk about them here?
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:40 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:20 am
Superbone wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:
Lol thanks man
Thanks for making the thread! Do we want a game day thread for each or just talk about them here?
I think this thread would be fine

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Yes.

I don’t need 20 ppg from him in SL, but he needs to at least look like he belongs and like one of the better players on the court.

Josh Jackson and Bender always looked lost and it was really worrisome that they couldn’t stand out among a group of inferior players

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:17 pm
Olson's article uses couple clips from last year G League which I hardly watched because I never expected Clippers affiliate to play him much. We discussed our G League situation already so no need to revisit that but either way I prefer to focus on the last time we saw him.

This is him actually obviously in our system and playing mostly against a solid big in Poeltl. This game was to lock up the 2 seed for those who might have forgotten and as with all Popovich teams those guys were playing hard not to mention their 2nd unit had beat us in another game a bit earlier

I shared this already the next day but we had bigger things to discuss like Playoffs n that squad in LA. So I'm sure he's going to be a much bigger topic of discussion now than back then couple months ago lol

The challenge at the rim
The finishes above the rim
I also appreciated the sealing the smaller guys although he rushed the shots (getting stronger will easily help)
I even really liked the fact he tried to dunk on Poeltl off a dribble drive
Let's be honest, those last two points above DA wasn't looking to do in his rookie year so he seems to have the right mindset

I remember a concern was switching out on smaller guards and during the game I think they were times he struggled which isn't in this vid.
He got lost sometimes on rotations but again that is to be expected.

He's obviously different than all our other Forwards and at least you can see there's a clear role he could fill if he puts things together
So true. He has the mindset that Ayton and Bender lacked. He is definitely not shy to attack the rim and to let it fly. I like the effort, just need to see development now.

I just hate that we’ve put ourselves in a position thus far this off-season to NEED him to be ready to be our backup 4. Puts too much on his shoulders and too much riding on him to develop quickly.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I am optimistic about Smith but needs a lot playing time. Summer league, preseason, regular season. He was behind the 8-ball when the season started and then got Covid, and then never really forced his way into the rotation like we all would have liked.

He's got good athleticism and is skilled, but you can tell on offense that the game hasn't slowed down for him yet. He also needs to get stronger. He doesn't have to come back looking like Steven Adams, but he's going to need to be able to hold his own under the basket.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh boy
Here we go....

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And so tonight we start. Reminder: 7:30 PM PT on ESPN 2.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We could've had him! :(

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I also saw that Sims clip. He's a pogo stick. He'll be pretty good someday if he figures out how to play NBA basketball.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I’m shocked to hear them say Stix played in 27 games. Really?
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Suns could have benefited from a player that can throw an entry pass on this roster.

Also, why isn’t Ty-shon starting?