Summer League 2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: Summer League 2021

Post by djy2j »

Stix backs his man down into the post 1 on 1 then kicks it out to one of his shitty teammates who obviously then bricks it.

Ya gotta shoot it. He has to know how bad the other players are doesn’t he? Frustrating play
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Three straight possessions where the Suns player who brings it up court makes a shitty 1 on 1 move and jacks up a shot…all without a single pass during the possession.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think Jalen Smith sucks. He's an NBA player.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

So much bad basketball.

I wonder who assembled the roster for the summer league team.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:01 pm
So much bad basketball.

I wonder who assembled the roster for the summer league team.
Only way I can picture this team being put together is someone emailed a bunch of And1 mixtape type reels of each player and they went solely based on that. The talent on this roster is incredibly low.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Stix with 16 at half. Not a dominant 16 but certainly an encouraging 16

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

A Suns point guard just tried shooting a 3 over Bol Bol. It ended how you think it ended.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Davon Reed was such a bad pick.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Stix with 21 and 11 and 4-7 from 3.

My SL assessment of him: Is he a bust? No. Is he going to be a contributor on this year’s team? Also no. I just think his development is going to take some time. He’s got a nice stroke but he looks real nervous out there at times despite it being a SL game.

I just don’t think he dominated the lesser competition. Had some nice plays and is leading rebounder in SL they said.

TyShon went 1-9 and I rarely even remember seeing him out there other than getting beat on defense a few times.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'll give credit where credit is due. Stix looked good out there tonight. He was decisive and other than s couple rough shots, he was very good. Back line defense, perimeter defense, ran the floor well, made nice aggressive moves to the rim, nifty passes, and his shot looked smooth from 3. Best game by far I've ever seen from him and he did it from the PF position. Damn
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:24 pm

My SL assessment of him: Is he a bust? No. Is he going to be a contributor on this year’s team? Also no. I just think his development is going to take some time. He’s got a nice stroke but he looks real nervous out there at times despite it being a SL game.

I just don’t think he dominated the lesser competition. Had some nice plays and is leading rebounder in SL they said.
Isn't this the only possible assessment of him based on SL? Let's review the key points:

(1) He was drafted to play a role -- not be a centerpiece. To play the role, he needs to be a secondary rebounding and shotblocking threat on defense and hit the three + occasionally post up or drive.

(2) He's got real strengths -- rebounding stats translate well from college to the NBA -- and most likely, SL.

(3) He's got areas needing improvement -- his shot needs to become more consistent, he needs to not be scared. But if you're afraid that you might get traded if you don't outperform, wouldn't you be scared as well?

I'm going to take a contrarian position and say that the Suns can't lose by playing him early in the season. If he's not ready by the trade deadline, get someone who can help at that time. But let's give him a chance to prove that he belongs on the floor for 10-15 minutes per game on a contender.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:24 pm

Yea that's where I'm at. I don't even think it's that much about development so much as whether he fits the role we're asking him to fill. He doesn't look like a smooth player, especially on the perimeter, where we know Monty likes that high post "connector". He does look tentative, a bit robotic, like he's thinking rather than playing naturally.

I could see him on a different team being an athletic, "paint" big who rebounds, goes for blocks and cleans up around the basket playing off the guards. Some bigs play like bigs, some bigs play like guards/swings. We need the latter at the 4 spot.

Regardless of his role/position, you'd also like to see him look like he's clearly the best player on the floor - someone who's too good to be out there. But he kind of blends in and doesn't exactly stand out where you're like "he's an NBA player, the other guys aren't".

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Suns play the Blazers tonight at 6 pm PT on NBA TV.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Jalen 0-3 with an unforced turnover.

carey

Post by carey »

Watching on the 2nd monitor while the Saints game is on. Does anyone else think for a big guy Jalen is *really* afraid of contact? So many times he gets the ball down low with a smaller guy on him that is an easy dunk but he puts up some weird double clutched shot or unnecessary fade away. Really weird.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Portland weirdly has Michael Beasley and Emmanuel Mudiay playing for their Summer League team.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They also have Kenneth Faried and our former draft pick George King.

Jalen's a bit awkward and off balance near the basket. His stroke is still pretty tho. Ty-shon just hurt his shoulder running into a screen.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

carey wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:49 pm
Watching on the 2nd monitor while the Saints game is on. Does anyone else think for a big guy Jalen is *really* afraid of contact? So many times he gets the ball down low with a smaller guy on him that is an easy dunk but he puts up some weird double clutched shot or unnecessary fade away. Really weird.
I will say that he's not a good finisher or post player. He's pretty much a face-up shooter at this point.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

This should just remind us how talented NBA players are. These are all solid college players and the gulf in talent between them and the NBA players is enormous.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Wow. what a horrible start to the 3rd.