Summer League 2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsRIt

Re: Summer League 2021

Post by SunsRIt »

And I finally just got the wasted take line. 😂

I’m a little disappointed in myself that it took so long.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:41 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:37 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:34 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:13 am

His upper body looks developed, but his waist and legs are scrawny, so he's easy to push around because he has no base. He also runs like a grandpa desperate to get to the toilet on time.
His waist? David Robinson was a 7-footer with a 32 inch waist. This take makes no sense.
Are you saying it's a wasted take?
Definitely. Waist size? Lol

Unless, of course, it’s a waist like Oliver Miller’s. That turned out to be a detriment.

Remember when we heard a similarly silly take that Amare wasn't a good rebounder due to his small waist?
That was Amar'e's take on it. It came from him.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:16 am
I keep wanting to call him Styx.
Hey, the team drafted him, gave him a job, gave him security. Gave him a chance to survive.

We need him to more of a blue-collar type man. But I think that'd take a lot of long nights, impossible odds.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:34 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:13 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:22 am
Nodack wrote:
I keep wanting to call him Styx. I agree he needs to put on some muscle. Is he a 5 or a 4? They are playing him as a 4. Maybe because he is so skinny. He rebounds. He doesn’t finesse around the hoop because he just dunks the ball, which is something I approve. Ayton kills me with his finesse around the basket sometimes instead of dunking it. Sometimes you can’t dunk the ball and have to shoot. Stix/Styx got into a lot of “tip in” games around the hoop last night and it wasn’t pretty. I used to play that game with a buddy a lot. His outside shot looks pretty except the air ball part. I have hopes for him but he seems a little ways from being a real contributor right now. I hate those project guys. There is a long list of project guys who didn’t pan out. Time will tell I guess. Maybe with luck he will get a few more minutes a game this year and earn them.
I mean that he can't make those shots that he can't dunk. He gets a finger on him and flies 3 ft away from the basket and on to the ground, while missing the shot.
His upper body looks developed, but his waist and legs are scrawny, so he's easy to push around because he has no base. He also runs like a grandpa desperate to get to the toilet on time.
His waist? David Robinson was a 7-footer with a 32 inch waist. This take makes no sense.
I think you know what I meant. His base looks really weak and that makes it easy for him to get pushed around. He looks like he’s going to snap in half when he falls.

Robinson may have had a small waist, but he had a totally different, more proportional body.

Indy

Post by Indy »

BKinSJC wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:39 pm
Nodack wrote:
Hey, the team drafted him, gave him a job, gave him security. Gave him a chance to survive.

We need him to more of a blue-collar type man. But I think that'd take a lot of long nights, impossible odds.
He's gonna have to do the jobs nobody wants to. But he looked like more of a machine or a mannequin last night.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I haven’t seen much of him but he definitely has stick legs

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

BKinSJC wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:39 pm
Nodack wrote:

Nice!

They did make him an offer that he couldn’t refuse and made him respectable. His last time in the unemployment line I’m sure.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Jalen Smith may become a productive NBA player someday. But he's pretty far away from that right now. These summer league games look like they've been rough.

In terms of whether he's a 4 or a 5, I think it'd be fine if he prefers to be a center. We signed JaVale but don't really have a good long-term backup center. And Smith could become a good smallball center for today's NBA who can hit 3s and grab some rebounds. I don't think he needs to be a 4 if he doesn't want to be one. But whatever position he plays, he needs to make more of an impact out there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Summer Suns tonight versus the Nuggets. 7 pm PT on NBA TV. Final game is Saturday against the Blazers. Not sure if they'll play in any kind of consolation game after that.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Jalen Smith vs. Bol Bol. This is the game I've had circled.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:03 pm
LOL. It's as good as it gets in mid August.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:36 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:02 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:23 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:24 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:35 am
Stix is a 5. He should be screening up top and diving to the rim or popping. The 4 in our system usually just flares out to the corner and waits to shoot. So we're not taking advantage of any of his size, quickness or athleticism. They either need to play him at the 5 or move him because playing him like he's Jae or Cam is hurting everyone involved.
I agree that he's a 5 for a SL team, but what does it matter if he's practicing a role he's not likely to compete for in November? He's competing with Cam Johnson for minutes and the backup 4 role is the development plan he's on right now. My hope is that he's a backup 4 with smallball 5 upside by next April.

There's a lot going against him right now. He's clearly not going to be really good anytime soon and he'll probably never leading the league in anything.

He was drafted for his size, shooting skill and coachability. I think it's OK to still be optimistic about Smith's development. For some context, Cam Johnson is 4 years older than Jalen Smith who just had his first legal drink this past March. With the veterans on this roster and a seemingly strong culture, it's going to be hard for him to truly fail.

The problem is a few similar guys selected after him have looked significantly better so far, and I don't think the Suns would hesitate to include Smith in a trade for a more dependable veteran.
Here's the problem with him, and is really holding him back from being a PF or a Center in the league. He's still skinny af, and really needs to put on a ton of muscle. He's getting bodied and bullied out there by a bunch of nobodies. He is probably best suited to be a 5, but he needs to add about 40 lbs of muscle. That's not easy to do, and at his rate of increase, it's going to be at least 5 yrs until he's a contributing player. He's not a very good shooter nor is he a very good finesse finisher in the paint. He is easily pushed off balance in those shots and was on the ground at least 3-4 times tonight on a shot. Most of those weren't even called fouls. He has no way of forcing or imposing his will on another team or opposing player.
40lbs.!!
I think 10-15 lbs would suffice him to at least stay on the court. You really need to be 230 at 6’10” to at least to be a 4 in this league. Amare was 6’8” and change but 230 when he came in.
My point is that Jalen is nearly the same height as Amare - except a bit taller. Jalen needs more than 230+ weight to look like Amare.

Amare was and still is 6’ 10”.
On Amare-
“American basketball player who played most notably for the Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks. At the predraft in 2002 (age 20) he measured 6ft 10 in shoes, 6'8½" in socks, weighed 233 pounds, with a Wingspan of 7'1 ¾”

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Amare-St ... 51153.html
On Jalen

“Notes: Notes: Measured: 6’9.25” barefoot, 6’10.25” in shoes, 9’2.00” standing reach, 224.6 lbs, and 7’2.25” wingspan at the 2020 NBA Combine “

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jalen-smith/

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:03 pm
How I know you would beat me to this post lol
I checked their last box score and Davon Reed is on their squad. Some might not even remember him :o
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Anyways
No Summer League, think he had Covid too then Ankle Sprain....
Hardly played then 2 games into Summer League and dude friends probably been msging him all week "Yo Jalen, they are saying you might get traded"

That's a rough start for real :? :?

So I'm gonna actually watch this one to see how he plays. I think he was pressing a little last game already so if he's hearing "all the noise"....
Well should be interesting

Let's Go yung fella :oops:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Why don’t they start Ty-shon?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

JFC Bol Bols 3 pointer. Ball must have been 50 feet in the air at one point :lol:
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Stix is playing much more aggressive but he’s still looking rough. Meanwhile the Suns backcourt is horrific at everything basketball related

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Stix with a fast break slam and a 3 a couple possession later. He did fumble the ball away on a shot attempt in the paint after all that. Seven points so far

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Stix with a nice looking 3 from the right wing, had a dunk in transition and was fouled near the rim for FTs. Just not a lot of flow to the offense in general. He looks great physically and has a super quick second jump.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Another poor quarter by the Summer Suns ending with a 5 second violation :lol:

Outside of Stix and Ty-Shon I struggle to see how any of these another players are even worthy of a spot on a GLeague team. Not a lot of talent out there. Guys just out there running.