Game Day (Preseason): Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (0-3), Sun 10/10/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (0-3), Sun 10/10/21

Post by ShelC »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:05 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:56 pm
McGee playing awesome. Love seeing a physical big on the court.
I said last season that when the Nuggets traded for McGee, felt that was the trade the Suns should've made.
I've always liked McGee, boneheaded plays aside, and always wondered how things might've worked out for him and us had we taken him instead of RoLo in the 2008 draft. RoLo was solid and helped us as a playoff team, but imagine JaVale on some of those later Suns teams. Could've had all the lobs from Nash, given us the rebounding and rim protection we were always looking for. Maybe he would've done better early on in his career on a more mature, veteran team as opposed to the Wizards. Not sure why he's become this journeyman who teams seem hesitant to play. Maybe we're still in the honeymoon phase with him but I think he'll be everything we need in those limited minutes off the bench.

Also, going back to the game, Mark Jackson made the point that Monty and his staff don't have to really figure things out this year (as opposed to the Lakers and other teams). We know what we have, what we're doing, who we're playing in the rotation. We should (hopefully) come out and start the season in midseason form and maybe break away from the pack early. We struggled early last year until adjustments were made, which won't be the case now.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy

Post by Indy »

I love all the new wrinkles to our sets that Monty worked in. David Nash has a thread on twitter about it.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Suns have the best breakdown guys on twitter, easily.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:44 am
Uncle_Gene wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I said last season that when the Nuggets traded for McGee, felt that was the trade the Suns should've made.
I've always liked McGee, boneheaded plays aside, and always wondered how things might've worked out for him and us had we taken him instead of RoLo in the 2008 draft. RoLo was solid and helped us as a playoff team, but imagine JaVale on some of those later Suns teams. Could've had all the lobs from Nash, given us the rebounding and rim protection we were always looking for. Maybe he would've done better early on in his career on a more mature, veteran team as opposed to the Wizards. Not sure why he's become this journeyman who teams seem hesitant to play. Maybe we're still in the honeymoon phase with him but I think he'll be everything we need in those limited minutes off the bench.

Also, going back to the game, Mark Jackson made the point that Monty and his staff don't have to really figure things out this year (as opposed to the Lakers and other teams). We know what we have, what we're doing, who we're playing in the rotation. We should (hopefully) come out and start the season in midseason form and maybe break away from the pack early. We struggled early last year until adjustments were made, which won't be the case now.
That is huge.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:24 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:44 am
Uncle_Gene wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

That is huge.
We would have easily had the best record in the league last year without that introductory period. It will be interesting to see where we stack up this year.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's easy to forget now, but at the start of the year we had some problems integrating Book and CP3. They kind of didn't know how best to play together. As the season went along they figured it out and now they play together brilliantly, but it took them some games to get it right.