Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:17 am
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:52 am
Even Sarver’s admissions are telling. He says he didn’t know that it was inappropriate to pull down a guy’s pants in front of 60 employees, and that he had to be informed later that it was not appropriate behavior. I believe the dude is fully capable of incriminating himself if the investigators speak to him long enough, lol.
I think Sarver does himself a disservice by diving into rebutting or denying each individual accusation made in the article. If you're explaining all the details about why you pantsed some guy or why you talked about wanting to say the N-word or why you asked some guy about shaving his balls, you're already losing. I think you do better with a short general statement admitting that you made some mistakes or jokes or off-color comments and apologizing for them, and indicating that you didn't intend any racist or sexist behavior and want to promote a diverse and inclusive atmosphere in the organization. Something like that.
He did admit to and apologize for the depantsing incident. :lol:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by ShelC »

Not even sure what to make of this...i don't know if Jalen was giving an example of something he heard or if he was implying this because no extension was given but no one on the set even stopped to ask him to repeat what he said or clarify it. This isn't something anyone should just casually throw out there. If it's true and can be confirmed however, this is the kind of kind of thing that pushes Sarver out

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I can't point to exactly when it became extreme, but Jalen Rose has been taking this hot-take bit too far for a while. I'm inclined to believe he made up that anecdote.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's the first time I've heard it. He seemed to pull it out of nowhere.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Why would he put the word “lazy” on it if he was just making it up? Sounds like he didn’t realize or forgot that it was left out of the final version of the story. Sort of like the disparaging remark Sarver made about a female owner that Jordan Schultz referred to that was left out of the published story.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:53 pm
Why would he put the word “lazy” on it if he was just making it up? Sounds like he didn’t realize or forgot that it was left out of the final version of the story. Sort of like the disparaging remark Sarver made about a female owner that Jordan Schultz referred to that was left out of the published story.
I’m not following your logic. “Lazy” is the most important word in the sentence and Sarver’s supposed reason for not offering Ayton the max.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:06 pm
JeremyG wrote:
I’m not following your logic. “Lazy” is the most important word in the sentence and Sarver’s supposed reason for not offering Ayton the max.
It just seems strange that Jalen would throw the word “lazy” out there, if he was making it up or if he was just speaking hypothetically. But I suppose if he was making it up then he had to add some adjective to it lol.

carey

Post by carey »

I’m kind of annoyed that Sarver’s interview was with the Republic and is behind a paywall. Biggest Suns story in 20 years and I wager 99% of us can’t even read his reply.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:31 am
I’m kind of annoyed that Sarver’s interview was with the Republic and is behind a paywall. Biggest Suns story in 20 years and I wager 99% of us can’t even read his reply.
Let me see what I can do...
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Reading more and more about this stuff, I'm going to reserve judgement until we hear the results of the NBA's investigation. But I'm still a strong believer of the adage "where there's smoke, there's fire."
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Here's the Arizona Republic article (I'm a paid subscriber):
► Show Spoiler
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

“Interview conducted by email” is a pretty soft way of doing this by Sarver. There’s no chance for the interviewer to ask logical follow-up questions and makes me think Sarver just wanted a chance to put a statement out in another form (with the appearance of being open/accountable).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Gladiator wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:30 pm
“Interview conducted by email” is a pretty soft way of doing this by Sarver. There’s no chance for the interviewer to ask logical follow-up questions and makes me think Sarver just wanted a chance to put a statement out in another form (with the appearance of being open/accountable).
Yeah, and I'm sure he had a team of lawyers around him helping him craft his answers.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:13 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:06 pm
JeremyG wrote:
It just seems strange that Jalen would throw the word “lazy” out there, if he was making it up or if he was just speaking hypothetically. But I suppose if he was making it up then he had to add some adjective to it lol.
Well, maybe it's not made up. He's an insider. Certainly more than we are. I just personally haven't seen it published anywhere else. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"That word isn’t in my vocabulary, and my family and friends who have known me for decades will confirm that I don’t use that kind of language, or any kind of racist language. I am devastated that someone would make that up as a way to hurt me and the Suns."

It's not just "someone." He is discrediting the fact that it was multiple sources accusing him of using that word, just because Earl was the only named source for that accusation:
Some told ESPN that he has used racially insensitive language repeatedly in the office.
At least a half-dozen Suns staffers recounted to ESPN instances of Sarver hearing a story from a Black player and then using the same language when retelling it, down to the usage of the N-word.

"You're like, 'Whoa! Robert, you can't do that,'" said one former basketball executive. Another former Suns head coach said such instances were commonplace. A Black basketball operations staffer told ESPN he has heard Sarver say the N-word multiple times.

Sarver once used the N-word when trying to explain to a staffer why he preferred hiring Lindsey Hunter over Dan Majerle as head coach in 2013, according to a high-level executive who heard the remark.
That is way more than just "someone." Sarver is lying.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

He’s got audio recording at his friends memorial talking about someone’s receptionist having small tits and lining up hookers. It’s literally on tape. How could he deny having this kind of stuff in his vocabulary.

Fuck him and get his penny pinching arrogant ass out of Phoenix.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Najafi making his play!
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:28 pm
Najafi making his play!
Great. We’re going to go from Sarver to a Kaepernick business partner and buddy.