Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:42 am
Yeah, that's what I meant by bringing up the word "lazy" before--that it adds more detail to it. I've never heard Ayton characterized as "lazy" by Rose before, so it just seems weird that just because he was deemed unworthy of the max by Sarver, Rose would assume it was because he considered him "lazy." It seems "lazy n-word" is actually something he heard from someone.

Or another possibility: the rumor Rose heard was that Sarver called Ayton "lazy," and Rose added "n-word" to it.
Ayton had a mediocre to subpar work ethic before Monty arrived. That Sarver stiffed him and disrespected this summer- through his usual bullshit style after turning in a killer season, Jalen makes it like Sarver was basically calling him a “lazy n”.
Jalen can make this point, if he wants. Sarver made his bed and opens himself to this sort of scrutiny.

JeremyG

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by JeremyG »

"Robert Sarver must go" https://news.yahoo.com/nba-phoenix-suns ... 31383.html

"At best, Sarver conceded through his lawyers to ESPN that he used the N-word in conversation quoting a player, shared a photo of his wife in a bikini with executives, asked a player if he shaves his genitals and pantsed an employee in front of more than 60 coworkers at a charity event. That is what he admitted to. He denied most other allegations in a series of statements, sometimes contradictory, issued by his lawyers."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Sounds more and more like he's done, especially if multiple people heard him using the n-word. If there's more damaging stuff coming out, does he start the process of selling just to avoid embarrassment and fade away or will he dig in and fight?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Anyone else already lumping this together with Ben Simmons and Kyrie in “stories I just don’t want to ever hear about again.”

Not trying to be insensitive, just exhausted thinking about 8 more months of talking heads opining on what an asshole Sarver is, which is news to nobody.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:20 pm
Anyone else already lumping this together with Ben Simmons and Kyrie in “stories I just don’t want to ever hear about again.”

Not trying to be insensitive, just exhausted thinking about 8 more months of talking heads opining on what an asshole Sarver is, which is news to nobody.
Oh for sure, And to kind of answer Shel above, I really doubt it happens, but man it would be nice if Sarver just sold his stake to this Jahm Najafi guy and we could move on.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:

I'd rather 8 months than another 17 years.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

Shabazz wrote:

I'm fascinated. I teach a section of HR, and am always looking for enjoyable, relevant case studies to discuss. We actually had a class this semester that was dedicated to discussing the shortfalls of HR in the #metoo movement, where employees didn't feel that HR was actually there to help them as much as the leaders of the organization.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

HR is more and more becoming seen as a joke and contributing factor to the toxic culture and environment in workplace settings. No way some middle management HR person is going to pick a fight with a SVP/EVP/Prez/Owner or some other revenue generating employee when they themselves are collecting a paycheck from the org and trying to climb the corporate ladder.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:24 am
HR is more and more becoming seen as a joke and contributing factor to the toxic culture and environment in workplace settings. No way some middle management HR person is going to pick a fight with a SVP/EVP/Prez/Owner or some other revenue generating employee when they themselves are collecting a paycheck from the org and trying to climb the corporate ladder.
I think it always has been. Unless you have a truly independent compliance group that audits HR's practices (and really, everyone's practices) they will fall into the same behavior as the other groups. It honestly starts at the top. If your CEO/President is OK with certain behavior, it will run rampant at your company.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ooh.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There has to be emails.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:53 am
There has to be emails.
Yea. Will we learn this by Woj bomb or Jalen follow up?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I doubt if Sarver would be stupid enough to actually type it in an email. Someone (hopefully more than one person) probably heard him say to it to someone within the Suns organization. Or he said it to his agent, who didn't tell Ayton about it at the time and Ayton found out through the Jalen Rose report.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

But if Ayton is sitting out because of this, why don't his teammates have his back? Why aren't they refusing to play also?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:47 pm
But if Ayton is sitting out because of this, why don't his teammates have his back? Why aren't they refusing to play also?
I don't think he's sitting out because of this. Maybe he's being more cautious than he would've otherwise due to not having the long term contract.

The team has looked the same on the court since this news broke and he doesn't seem like someone who'd rock the boat in the locker room. I specifically looked for him on the bench during the Kings games and he was cheering right a long with everyone else.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If the players can confirm with one or more people who directly heard Sarver say it, though, then they could easily force Sarver out immediately. The players have all the power in the world--just refuse to play, and Sarver will be forced out within days.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If they know he's done, they'll let the NBA handle the investigation, follow the process and they'll stay the course with the season. It'd be different if the league wasn't taking action or Sarver was refusing to leave after some hard evidence came out. Jones, Monty, maybe CP might know the score already.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I have a hard time believing that Robert Sarver called Ayton a “Lazy [slur]” period, let alone in earshot of others. That’s a David Duke-level of racism and hubris. I don’t doubt that he called him “lazy” but my feeling is the rest was tacked on in a case of broken telephone or conflating the stories.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:46 pm
I have a hard time believing that Robert Sarver called Ayton a “Lazy [slur]” period, let alone in earshot of others. That’s a David Duke-level of racism and hubris. I don’t doubt that he called him “lazy” but my feeling is the rest was tacked on in a case of broken telephone or conflating the stories.
Yeah, we still don't know if Rose and Bickley's source or sources had first-hand knowledge or second-hand knowledge. That would be a nice fact to know.